Dvd's for private pilot training

J

jcatay

I'm currently working on getting my private pilot's license and would like advise on any dvd programs I could buy that may be helpful as a suppliment.

Long time ago I used the Cessna Pilot Center DVDs that were done by John and Martha King. These DVD focused somewhat on the written test but more on how and why to fly maneuvers. They were good for that albeit overpriced ($275).

For the written test I found the Machado book and the Gleim CD were about the best two things around.

A lot of this is your learning style. I like books more than videos to learn and as you said these are to 'supplement' your learning you might be in the same boat I am in. I never used the Sproty DVDs for any course. I reviewed their samples but found them very dry. The king videos are good, they have a lot of cheesy jokes but I still remember a few things from their chessy joke examples. Like Class B means "Big airplanes".

The King checkride videos are excellent and I used their IFR and Commercial check ride vids and those helped a lot. That may be down the road for you but it is something to consider.

Anyway that is my $.02

Welcome to the Pilots of America Forum!

I used the King course, it wasn't to bad after you get past the corny jokes. Gleim was also very helpful and found their test prep very good. You can also take advantage of the free online "study buddy" that Sporty's offers.

The King videos are great but the text book sucks. I strongly recommend supplementing the videos with either the Jeppesen Private Pilot Manual or two separate FAA books; those being, Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge (New version 8083-25A) the Airplane Flying Handbook (8083-3A).

The FAA books are very well done so don't worry about them being a government publication.

I tried the "Sporty's" version...but they put me to sleep, the King version worked for me and at least was semi entertaining as you are always waiting for the punchline that never comes!

There are at least a couple of source for DVD rentals, if you want to save a little cash.

I'm currently using SmartFlix for the King IFR (having found their Private Pilot series effective).

Another rental resource is Avnac.com. I haven't used them, so I can't speak to quality of service. Their content is all aviation; but, they don't seem to have as broad a selection of pilot training DVDs as SmartFlix.

I used the King videos (VHS in those days). They were effective, but as mentioned before, there is a corny factor to live with. Still, a pretty good deal, all things considered.

Trapper John

I highly recommend the Jeppesen Private Pilot Manual and the Sporty's Private Pilot DVD's. The Sporty's DVDs are very well produced and cover everything in complete detail. The information they presented certainly advanced me to a level above the average private pilot when I went to go take my checkride.

Another rental resource is Avnac.com. I haven't used them, so I can't speak to quality of service. Their content is all aviation; but, they don't seem to have as broad a selection of pilot training DVDs as SmartFlix.

I used Avnac.com for Instrument, Comemrcial, and CFI DVD rentals (I used Sporty's) and have no complaints.

Just pay attention to the return date and be sure you get them back in time.

I could only take the Kings in very small doses. I just finished the Gleim CFI ground course and found it much more effective. You can also go to sportys.com and take the written as many times as you like. It's free to register.

Last edited:
The King DVDs teach to the written test. They worked for me. 100% on the test. But, the books others have recommended are also valuable. I used many of them and, along with help from my CFI, was well prepared for the oral part of the practical test. One single source probably isn't the best option as we all learn differently.

I've never really been able to get into the DVDs, but most people I know that tried the Kings loved 'em. For me, Rod Machado's Private Pilot Handbook is an excellent read, and very helpful.

You might want to check out http://www.privatepilotexam.com also, its created by two PoA members, and its really useful as well.

BTW some example of Sproty's and King Videos

First Sportys

And now King

Wow, the King courses are cheesy and boring. I would like to see a real sample of the Sporty's videos....I might actually do that for my IFR.

BTW, sidetrack, but I find it super irritating that I have to take my IR written again. I already passed it once. lol.

I used the King DVDs for both my private and IFR. What they are good at -- teaching you the answers on the test so you get a high score. What they are quite poor at -- getting you to understand _why_ the answers are what they are.

Every time I heard the phrase "the FAA doesn't require you to know" during these lessons I wanted to scream. Just because the FAA didn't put a question on the test doesn't mean that it isn't useful to know something!!

It amazes me that I have gone through this King IFR course, scored 97% on the test, and still have some pretty basic questions on the mechanics of IFR flight for my instructor at each and every lesson. I would be much happier with these courses if they attempted to teach me what I need to know to be a good IFR pilot _and_ pass the test, not simply to pass the test...

Chris

Wow, the King courses are cheesy and boring. I would like to see a real sample of the Sporty's videos....I might actually do that for my IFR.

BTW, sidetrack, but I find it super irritating that I have to take my IR written again. I already passed it once. lol.

I have both the Sporty's and King IFR DVDs at home. The Sporty's DVDs are well done from a technical point of view and teach good material, but I'm not sure how well they prepare you for the written. I guess I need to take the time to go through them again, and finish the King class so I can take my IFR written one of these days.

I used the King DVDs for both my private and IFR. What they are good at -- teaching you the answers on the test so you get a high score. What they are quite poor at -- getting you to understand _why_ the answers are what they are.

Every time I heard the phrase "the FAA doesn't require you to know" during these lessons I wanted to scream. Just because the FAA didn't put a question on the test doesn't mean that it isn't useful to know something!!

It amazes me that I have gone through this King IFR course, scored 97% on the test, and still have some pretty basic questions on the mechanics of IFR flight for my instructor at each and every lesson. I would be much happier with these courses if they attempted to teach me what I need to know to be a good IFR pilot _and_ pass the test, not simply to pass the test...

Chris

And that is why I have multiple resources. Both when I got my private, and now that I'm working on my IR. No single source works for me on everything.

Back