• Connie1 engine.jpg
    Connie1 engine.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Connie2 Close-up.jpg
    Connie2 Close-up.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
HR;

Got to ride in quiite a few Connies. Beautiful Planes. One of my favorites.
Thanks for sharing

John J

http://news.mainetoday.com/updates/036048.html

I'll see if I can find my images of the Connies at KLEW.
Found them, several years old, located just off to one side(on private property) of Runway #22.

HR

EDIT: WCSH Television just had video coverage at the top of 6:00 pm. The video isn't on their site yet but it might be after the newscast.
http://www.wcsh6.com/ See Link below:

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=96301&catid=2

One of my first airplane rides as a kid was in an Eastern Connie. DCA - IDL.

It's a shame they can't get all 3 flying. Kudos to them for getting one back in the air. I'd love to fly in one (and I'd REALLY like to sit in the left seat!). IMHO, the most beautiful commercial airliner ever built.

BTW, nice pix Harley. Thanks.

It's a shame they can't get all 3 flying. Kudos to them for getting one back in the air. I'd love to fly in one (and I'd REALLY like to sit in the left seat!). IMHO, the most beautiful commercial airliner ever built.

4 R-3350s give it a nice sound as well.

Lufthansa got a heck of a deal - 3 for $750K. I was fortunate to have a tour of one of them by Maurice two years ago (just prior to the auction). They were/are beautiful birds. Back in the days when air travel was something special.

The Save-A-Connie group in Kansas City did a terrific job restoring theirs. It's worth stopping to see for sure.

Bowen01b.jpg

http://www.airlinehistorymuseum.com/connie.htm

Trapper John

Here's a few I took of the Super G in Kansas City. I think the Connie is THE classic commercial airliner. And flying was special then.

Attachments

• IMGA0975.JPG
    IMGA0975.JPG
    541.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMGA0981.JPG
    IMGA0981.JPG
    545.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMGA0980.JPG
    IMGA0980.JPG
    560.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMGA0985.JPG
    IMGA0985.JPG
    527.6 KB · Views: 18
Here's a few I took of the Super G in Kansas City. I think the Connie is THE classic commercial airliner. And flying was special then.
The Connie is a classic. It was interesting in the movie on Howard Hughes when they discussed bringing on such an advanced aircraft and he was fighting to have it first.

But, the GNS-430 looks strangely out of place; particularly above that old radar CRT which probably weights ten times more. :)

And flying was special then.
What??? $7.00 stale sandwiches in coach, and people dressed like they about to go out and cut the grass instead of fly across the globe don't make today's airline travel special? And don't forget $15 to check a bag, and $3 per bag to curbside check them.....

What??? $7.00 stale sandwiches in coach, and people dressed like they about to go out and cut the grass instead of fly across the globe don't make today's airline travel special? And don't forget $15 to check a bag, and $3 per bag to curbside check them.....

:rofl:

I love the old pictures -- everyone is wearing a hat. I wish the grey Fedora would stage a comeback.

The Connie is a classic. It was interesting in the movie on Howard Hughes when they discussed bringing on such an advanced aircraft and he was fighting to have it first.

But, the GNS-430 looks strangely out of place; particularly above that old radar CRT which probably weights ten times more. :)

GACK -- a standard six-pack? I bet that wasn't standard either. I guess they figured safety over authenticity.:wink2:

Attention All Connie lovers.

Do you realize that the Connie at full power will consume $1750 of fuel and oil per hour?

PER ENGINE

A Connie was my ride from Kansas City to San Francisco on the way to San Diego navy boot camp in 1958

Attention All Connie lovers.

Do you realize that the Connie at full power will consume $1750 of fuel and oil per hour?

PER ENGINE

I knew there was a reason I don't own one. :yikes:

Is that a problem?

Would be for my aviation budget, I couldn't afford to fill the tank of the ground power unit to crank the 3350.

We required that the power cart was hooked up and running 4 hours prior to start for preflight and power up of the INS to get an alignment, plus the oil tank heaters must have the oil up to 75 degrees prior to start.

I based the 1750 price on the engine being new, and not leaking like a sive, and the fuel cost at $5 per gallon, and oil $5 per qt.

3 years at NAS Andrews, project Jenny, 9 years with COMNAVAIRPAC staff, 5 years at Pt Mugu (Pacific Missle Range) = 43,000 hours in the Connie, and some other junk the navy had at the time..

Pumped some fuel, burned some oil at uncle's expense. :)

Last edited:
Back