Turn-Around Time for Garmin Transponder Repair

SoCal 182 Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
SoCal 182 Driver
Friends - It looks like I may need to send my transponder back to Garmin for out-of-warranty work. Can anyone tell me what Garmin's typical turn-around time is these days? I'm talking about from the day they receive the transponder on their loading dock, until the day it gets shipped back to me.

Thanks very much!

This is you waiting for Garmin to deliver it... just kidding.. :):D:p:p

What I can say is that in the past the have been very responsive to getting stuff in and back out.

5069731957_12b427f697_b.jpg

It's usually 5 days or less for the standard service level. For more money, they will overnight an exchange unit.

When mine went out it was either $1295. flat fee repair or $1495 exchange. I went with a over night air shipment and exchange.
Mine quit on a thurs night and I called my dealer Fri am. He received the transponder on Mon and I flew over there Mon afternoon and he installed it while I waited. No labor charge from Cincinnati Avionics. It took 5 minutes to swap it and I don't think any programing was necessary? But I could be wrong about programing. It didn't take long to swap them.
This was 2 years ago.
IMG_0700.JPG

Last edited:
I understand the transponder has to be shipped with a dealer-obtained RMA. Can an A&P do the reinstallation, or does the system have to have a new 24 month certification?

Back