My Glider Club Impressions...

$140k really doesn't buy much in the aviation world right now. Weak flex, tbh.

What are the black pilot demographic numbers? Very slim. Now what are the odds your question is going to be met with confirmation on this board?
Read the room bruh.
Do you really think that anything that was related was racist? I can't even imagine what tone of voice someone could use to make those statements construable as even slightly tinged with racism.

You may be a bit too sensitive, but most of us are white guys and really don't know how that may feel.

This is the real answer. Hard to tell as a middle aged white guy reading the text. Hard to convey their tone of voice and facial expressions.
So.. maybe? They probably aren't card carry KKK nazis, but might be casually racist without really thinking about it. Or it could a 1000 other different things.

That thing is cool. Heck, I'm jealous.

This is the real answer. Hard to tell as a middle aged white guy reading the text. Hard to convey their tone of voice and facial expressions.
So.. maybe? They probably aren't card carry KKK nazis, but might be casually racist without really thinking about it. Or it could a 1000 other different things.
I disagree. I have been asked similar questions by white guys as a white guy. It's EASY to see that they would ask those questions and it's also easy to presume that they mean exactly what they'd mean if they asked me that. I figure I have a pretty good idea what "my culture" probably means when they ask that kind of stuff. Most of the people that I would classify in my culture as being genuinely racist generally don't even TRY to hide it. They'll just be outright racial.

From just reading the text summary you provided, I don't read anything remotely racist about it. However, your summary doesn't likely provide every detail, and it doesn't provide the tone in which it was spoken. So, while it doesn't appear that racism was a factor, without being there in person it's hard to completely rule it out. I will reiterate what others have mentioned, where you appear to be "looking for racism" and possibly applying that definition to words/comments that aren't inherently racist. Someone making a comment about whether your bank account can afford a $150K glider isn't racist so much as it's a commentary about how expensive aviation tends to be. It's also a bit strange to join a glider club and then immediately say you're going to buy a new high-end glider. Glider clubs tend to be composed of members who don't have the financial means to own a glider of their own, so it may be a bit off-putting for you to come in and join their club when you claim to be able to buy your own without issue. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably quit looking so hard to find racism behind every comment or else aviation (and life) is going to be very frustrating for you.
I talked about my plans to buy my own glider when I was asked. I didn't go around announcing I was buying a glider.

Do you really think that anything that was related was racist? I can't even imagine what tone of voice someone could use to make those statements construable as even slightly tinged with racism.
I feel that he is either jealous or racist based on his comment about me knowing what a stall is. And yes, he asked that question out of geninue concern. The guy then reemed me when I landed proposing that I should not have held my speed at carat and "don't do that again.." There was no wind for me to put my speed higher than carat. I'll just avoid him.

I feel that he is either jealous or racist based on his comment about me knowing what a stall is. And yes, he asked that question out of geninue concern. The guy then reemed me when I landed proposing that I should not have held my speed at carat and "don't do that again.." There was no wind for me to put my speed higher than carat. I'll just avoid him.
What you said in your last sentence. Right now it’s his problem. Don’t let him make it yours.

I’m a smart ass, so if it was me, I’d probably be doing a little bit of sheriff Bart on him, but I’m not in your shoes

Pardon my ignorance but who’s Sheriff Bart?

From Blazing Saddles.

73127965d670b9cc6abfafdbeec2c506.jpg

Too late now, but you might have tried giving him a big bear hug and saying sweetly, "Why, bless your heart!" He'd probably leave you alone from then on. ;)

So I joined my local glider club after I got back from getting my PPL ticket but I'm coming across some very racist ( or extreme stereotyping) comments and wanted to know how should I address them.

4) CM2: "What do you plan on practicing today?" Me: "Stalls." CM2: "Do you know what a stall is?"
That's when the tow plane engine quits (carb ice) and it is trying to drag you back down???

Depends what you want to do with it. A colleague has a Twin Shark and is very happy with it. It's competitive in the FAI 20m multi-seat class and he's done quite well in competitions.

My football coach would call this rabbit ears. What he meant by that is looking for criticism or in this case racism where it really doesn't exist. Reading too much into people's comments because you are making assumptions about their intent.

I don't have your life experience but I see no racism in those comments. You asked. They seem pretty similar to things I have had said to me over the years in the aviation world. Everyone knows how expensive aviation is and that is why clubs and such exist. Not sure about the stall question but was the person aware of your skill and knowledge level?

Not sure about the stall question but was the person aware of your skill and knowledge level?
Yes, he knew I had recently gotten my license. No matter how anyone here wants to put it, that question is completely unacceptable no matter what his intent was for asking it. It's literally an insult to almost anyone who is learning to fly or have flown before. It can be taken the way I took it and that would be a logical assumption OR taken another way and it would still be offensive.

Actually, I have seen a lot of high time pilots who don't really know what a stall is.

But I can also see that as a comment in jest.

Some people are just Richard's by nature, ignore him. By the way does he own a glider? Is it a nice one?

Yes, he knew I had recently gotten my license. No matter how anyone here wants to put it, that question is completely unacceptable no matter what his intent was for asking it. It's literally an insult to almost anyone who is learning to fly or have flown before. It can be taken the way I took it and that would be a logical assumption OR taken another way and it would still be offensive.
Meh, after people see me fly they ask all sorts of questions like that. :yes::biggrin:

I wasn't there so accessing someone's tone or intent is impossible with typed word. You were there and you obviously didn't like it.

The beauty in life is you get to choose what offends you or not. Personally I would let it roll off me like water on a ducks back and fly on.

It doesn't cost that much. It's 270k - 300k new.
I was thinking the Stemme S-12

I really like the Turbine Twin Shark, don't get me wrong. Have had dreams of something like it since seeing Bob Carlton videos.
Was dreaming about having both the glider and the SubSonex and being able to EZ-move the engine with a cannon plug and a QD fuel line... 40lbs

Now I am becoming a Rotax fan so the Stemme S-10/12 are making my heart go *pitter *patter

The carat is minimum approach speed. It's about 1.3 VS1. Most everyone I know teaches a faster approach until short final. And when flying club aircraft, you've got to follow club procedures.

The carat is minimum approach speed. It's about 1.3 VS1. Most everyone I know teaches a faster approach until short final. And when flying club aircraft, you've got to follow club procedures.
It's not like I was deliberating not flying the carat to **** off the club members. And yes, I know it's minimum approach speed. It was perfectly suitable for me to fly it since there was 0 headwind. Are you apart of my club?

Are you apart of my club?
Yes, actually. He is "apart" of your club since he is not a member. :biggrin:

Seriously, though, you come across as extremely aggressive and very much sure of yourself in all your interactions on here. You seem to think you know everything and maybe you do. If you act the same way in real life, you will find a lot of people wanting to bust your chops or take you down a peg. It will have nothing to do with what you look like or how much money you do or don't have and everything to do with the attitude you display.

So I joined my local glider club after I got back from getting my PPL ticket but I'm coming across some very racist ( or extreme stereotyping) comments and wanted to know how should I address them.

I'm Afro-american and am just 1 of 2 people of color in the club. The other guy I barely even see.

I'm getting frustrated at the comments people are making.

1) Club member (CM1) says "are you getting your own glider"? Me: "Yes." CM: "What kind?" Me: "An HpH Twin Shark" CM: "Did you win the lottery or something?"

2) Me: "There are too many rules about parachutes so I'm going to buy my own." CM2: "You have $2k to spend on a parachute?"

3) CM2: "I forgot where you got your training from?" Me: "Arizona Soaring Association" CM2: "Oh yea. That's a good place." CM2: "Are you planning on getting your own glider?" Me: "Yes." CM2: "What kind?" Me: "HpH Twin Shark" CM2: "I bet your bank account loves that!" Me: "As long as I work, I'm fine."

4) CM2: "What do you plan on practicing today?" Me: "Stalls." CM2: "Do you know what a stall is?"

Is this racism or jealousy? I am insulted and angry at the same time.
Sounds like ego mania and an inferiority complex at the same time. Why are you trying to impress people you don't like? I keep my personal business to myself and I never tell people what I'm going to do, I just do it.

Seriously, though, you come across as extremely aggressive and very much sure of yourself in all your interactions on here. You seem to think you know everything and maybe you do. If you act the same way in real life, you will find a lot of people wanting to bust your chops or take you down a peg. It will have nothing to do with what you look like or how much money you do or don't have and everything to do with the attitude you display.
I haven't displayed any aggressiveness here in this thread. I don't know a fraction of everything there is to know. I go there to gain experience. However, I don't need someone asking me if I know what a stall is. And I don't go around broadcasting that I'm buying a brand new glider. People ask me and I tell them.

You seem to want to turn this thread around on me being the culprit. Perfect example of gaslighting. I expressed a concern I have from one particular individual -- not the entire club. Other than this individual, I am quite happy with the club.

Well, he did choose "Aceman" as his online monicker for a pilot forum, so there's got to be something to that . . .

Sounds like ego mania and an inferiority complex at the same time. Why are you trying to impress people you don't like? I keep my personal business to myself and I never tell people what I'm going to do, I just do it.
There was 3 people who asked me if I was buying a personal glider. From what you are suggesting, I should tell them no and surprise everyone when I bring one to the club. Is that going to save me the trolling? Will I be seen like everyone else at the club? I don't think that will shelter thoughts of whoever is thinking about me.

It's not like I was deliberating not flying the carat to **** off the club members. And yes, I know it's minimum approach speed. It was perfectly suitable for me to fly it since there was 0 headwind. Are you apart of my club?
Yes, as we discussed. And if you get in an argument with a club CFI about flying club aircraft, you're going to lose.

There was 3 people who asked me if I was buying a personal glider. From what you are suggesting, I should tell them no and surprise everyone when I bring one to the club.
“Yeah, I’m starting to look into buying one. I’m new to gliders, so I’m just doing the research right now and learning more.”

“Yeah, I’m starting to look into buying one. I’m new to gliders, so I’m just doing the research right now and learning more.”
But I already did my research and chose the glider before I even joined the club. I discussed it thoroughly with my instructor in AZ as well as the salesman. I put a downpayment on the glider once I solo'd the first time.

It's a new world we live in that I have to try not to tell someone that I'm buying a new glider so as to not offend them or get them to think I'm arrogant. Wow.

$140k is a lot of money. Expect people to make comments on it.

Pilots in general are cheap bastards. Glider pilots even more-so.
yep, I flew my sub $14,000 glider (in my thumbnail) for 20+ years.
I sort of won a lottery a few years ago (insurance settlement), and graduated to a sub $35,000 glider.

Then I go the airport meetings and listen to all the neighbors complain about those rich pilots making noise and using the public airport.
Never mind that I learned to fly at this airport in College and paid for it by delivering Pizza's, or that have students that are still High School Students working retail jobs to pay for it.
Never mind that most of them drove up in almost new F350 or equivalent vehicles.

Brian

But I already did my research and chose the glider before I even joined the club. I discussed it thoroughly with my instructor in AZ as well as the salesman. I put a downpayment on the glider once I solo'd the first time.

It's a new world we live in that I have to try not to tell someone that I'm buying a new glider so as to not offend them or get them to think I'm arrogant. Wow.
It’s about being the new guy and fitting in, finding how you relate with the rest of the group, saying less and giving the established members the chance to say more. It’s covert questioning and directing the conversation where you learn more about them than you might’ve had the convo followed Option A.

I didn't argue anything though.
Good. But you might also ask him, rather than us, why he would say that. As others have said, it's about fitting in. Not being dishonest or hiding, but sometimes in a new group you have to be a chameleon.

Back