T-Hangar neighbor. WWYD?

Except it still looks like when your doors are open, the neighbor can't open his.

No, look again at my (admittedly poor) sketch. On the bottom of the figure, all doors slide from left to right, and are in two offset halves. Those halves, when open, are behind the back of the hangar on the other side of the building. They don’t interfere with the neighboring hangar at all.

I had hangars like the OP describes. It allows you to get more hangars in left-and right, but you have to make the overall building deeper as the tail of the plane doesn't go all the way to the opposite ouside wall of the hangar.
1711319775324.png

maybe don't talk to the dooshy CFI, talk to the students.

I had hangars like the OP describes. It allows you to get more hangars in left-and right, but you have to make the overall building deeper as the tail of the plane doesn't go all the way to the opposite ouside wall of the hangar.
View attachment 127083

that's how ours are set up. I've had neighbors on occasion leave their doors open. takes me 3 seconds to close it, problem solved.

Not at my current airport (I love my current airport) but the last one I hangared we had the same problem (and lots of other problems). Flight school kept leaving the doors open. Everyone was complaining because then birds were getting into the hangars (the side walls were open at the very top so once in any door, the birds would fly though out the hangars).
Owner of the flight school told everyone that HE DID NOT CARE...complaints were just gonna fall on deaf ears. Then one day, someone took a big CRAP right in the middle of the flight school hangar when their plane was out. The owner of the flight school WENT NUTS!!! He called the police, the township (they owned the airport), etc. Couldn't really get anyone to listen to him now, as everyone just said, "How about you have your students close / lock the door?"
I left that airport in the middle of all that drama, but I did hear he now has his students close the door.

No, look again at my (admittedly poor) sketch. On the bottom of the figure, all doors slide from left to right, and are in two offset halves. Those halves, when open, are behind the back of the hangar on the other side of the building. They don’t interfere with the neighboring hangar at all.
Interesting. I guess that just attributed that to your "admittedly poor" drawing. I've never seen doors that slide like that, and it seems like they would be difficult to secure and keep the weather out, but maybe not. At the airports where I've had T hangars, the doors all slide at the same track.

Not at my current airport (I love my current airport) but the last one I hangared we had the same problem (and lots of other problems). Flight school kept leaving the doors open. Everyone was complaining because then birds were getting into the hangars (the side walls were open at the very top so once in any door, the birds would fly though out the hangars).
Owner of the flight school told everyone that HE DID NOT CARE...complaints were just gonna fall on deaf ears. Then one day, someone took a big CRAP right in the middle of the flight school hangar when their plane was out. The owner of the flight school WENT NUTS!!! He called the police, the township (they owned the airport), etc. Couldn't really get anyone to listen to him now, as everyone just said, "How about you have your students close / lock the door?"
I left that airport in the middle of all that drama, but I did hear he now has his students close the door.
Not sure I've got the juevos to drop trou for the world to see. But I respect it. Goin number 2 without going number 1. That's talent.

Last edited:
just have your dog drop anchor...

Interesting. I guess that just attributed that to your "admittedly poor" drawing. I've never seen doors that slide like that, and it seems like they would be difficult to secure and keep the weather out, but maybe not. At the airports where I've had T hangars, the doors all slide at the same track.

There's a rubber seal between the two doors, so there's not an open gap. No problem keeping weather out. Heck, even with the hurricane in 2022 I didn't have any rain blowing through the doors.

This sort of situation calls for the judicious application of crickets. Lots of crickets.

@Salty nailed it. Crickets will go everywhere.

Back in my racing days, there was a Spec Racer driver who was quite a jerk. After he committed some jerkish offense, one of the other SR drivers bought a bag of birdseed and when the jerk wasn't around he scattered it all over the guy's race car and in the cockpit. An hour later that car looked like a statue at a pigeon convention.

Surely there's some simple passive-aggressive way to resolve this, no?
Close the doors poorly? Accidentally put them off the rail ? "Sorry, I suck at (your job)"
Put the ramps in a place that requires MORE work for them to replace, than if they'd closed their doors properly?
(Note that P-A responses are not an FAA-defined Hazardous Attitude, so you are good to go!)

This sort of situation calls for the judicious application of crickets. Lots of crickets.
When I was in HS we released crickets in the lunchroom. A bunch of friends collected money. I went to a bait shop and bought hundreds of crickets. 8 paper bags full. We placed them strategically around the cafeteria. Total bedlam ensued. Got away with it scot free. I'll never forget having those crickets in my locker and my co-conspirators stopping by to pick up a bag and instructions like it was some CIA op.

Can you leave your doors open to block theirs? Even more to the point, just leave the door on their side open, and close the other one.

Remove the ramps. Possibly they'll find them in the dumpster later.

I'm not convinced that would get the point across.
Buy a cheap pack of locks and farmer lock it shut each time they leave it open. Or just use the cheap lock as a fire and forget, make them cut it off. Sucks when people can’t be considerate.

So I’m a T hangar. Been great the last two years as my two neighbors never flew much. But the owner just leased one to a flight school.

The CFI’s have decided that it’s ok for them to leave the doors open while they go fly

Then when I want to fly I have to shut their door to get my plane out. This flight school is where I got my ticket, so I’ve texted the owner and gotten no response

This morning it was open again

They have the “inside track” of the sliding doors and I’ve debated putting some gravel down. But I don’t want to be petty…..but I’m getting to the point where next time I’m gonna wedge something in the track so when they come back at least the owner of the flight school has to contact me to get his plane back in the hangar

WWYD?

Edit: this is the third time in the last month
I would first take a moment for a face to face with the flight school management. If the doesn’t work, I would put a lock in the track on your side.

I'm lucky. My 1948 year model T hanger has no active neighbors.

Here's how our hangar doors work. Two rails (1" steel angle, face down) about six inches apart. Doors for each hangar run on either the inner or outer rails, that's how they can open with the adjacent doors in place.
1711351650683.png
Obviously, if one person leaves their doors open, they block the two hangars next to them.

Ron Wanttaja

Luckily we have overhead doors at our airport.
I noticed when I first came to the airport years ago that many people left their hangar doors open when they went out to fly, but there hangars were basically empty. My hangar is loaded with tools so I have always closed mine when I go to fly even though we have a great secure airport with friendly honest pilots.
But now the airport manager is begging pilots to close their doors when they go flying to keep the nesting birds out of our hangars this time of year. I am glad the airport is cracking down because who wants bird poop on your plane when it is stored inside?
Our small airport only has 40 some hangars, sometimes I get impatient working around the 4 flight school planes we have but I still remember when I was learning to fly so I am more than happy to be patient.
Then there are many nights I am the only one there, I have the whole place to myself. It is so peaceful, I can let my dog run loose. It is so worth the hangar rent my wife says so I am not up her azz at home! lol
IMG_3290_2vwc59nmr4s4EHQComxXLa.JPG

Another night when I am the only one there. I could leave my plane out on the ramp for hours and not be in anyone's way.
IMG_1919(1).JPG

Last edited:
If they are like our T-Hangers, make sure to sweep your hanger out before you go fly. Then be nice and open the door back up for them.
Perhaps if you over do it they won't be able to reach the door to close it:)
Or don't quite get it open, they might not notice and take out a wing tip pushing the plane back in.
Then when you start up, you might blow all the dirt, weeds and trash that seems to accumulate in your hanger into their hanger.

Brian

Good luck getting support on something like this. I had other pilots parking their cars in front of my hangar and got little support from the airport manager. I even had one (he's no longer the manager) tell me that I was whining about not being able to get my plane out of a hangar when there were a lot of people on the waiting list who would just love to have a hangar!

Luckily, most of the people who do this are flying with an instructor who has a hangar across from me. After many years of this happening, I think he understands the level of rage I now have and he makes his students aware. I told him it was getting to the point it probably wouldn't end well and none of us want that. I just want to fly!

I’d be concerned that most of these suggestions could have negative consequences for you. Emotionally satisfying or not.

Maybe pick a day that they are likely to be flying, and pull your plane halfway out to clean it ALL DAY, and when they come and ask if you can put your plane back so they can open their door, you ask them if they'd mind helping you push it back, and mention that you'd appreciate it if they would make sure that you didn't have to close their door when you want to fly?

Luckily we have overhead doors at our airport.
I noticed when I first came to the airport years ago that many people left their hangar doors open when they went out to fly, but there hangars were basically empty. My hangar is loaded with tools so I have always closed mine when I go to fly even though we have a great secure airport with friendly honest pilots.
But now the airport manager is begging people to close their doors when they go flying to keep the nesting birds out of our hangars this time of year. I am glad the airport is cracking down because who wants bird poop on your plane when it is stored inside?
Our small airport only has 40 some hangars, sometimes I get impatient working around the 4 flight school planes we have but I still remember when I was learning to fly so I am more than happy to be patient.
Then there are many nights I am the only one there, I have the whole place to myself. It is so peaceful, I can let my dog run loose. It is so worth the hangar rent my wife says so I am not up her azz at home! lol
IMG_3290_2vwc59nmr4s4EHQComxXLa.JPG

Another night when I am the only one there. I could leave my plane out on the ramp for hours and not be in anyone's way.
IMG_1919(1).JPG
Careful letting the dog run loose. Guys use rodenticide for the mice. We just had an owl that died from that by the house. Eating a mouse that had ingested it. The goober that rents space to store his cars in dads hangar left the crap out willy nilly and my dog gnaws on lumber when shes bored. Not a fan of sticks, but dimensional lumber. She found the green block to keep herself occupied. That was a fun few days.

Then when you start up, you might blow all the dirt, weeds and trash that seems to accumulate in your hanger into their hanger.

Heck, if there's room on the taxiway, you might even manage to do your runup with your prop wash going into their hangar.....

Ah. This seems like critical information. Did you point these things out to the owner when you spoke to him? You've had to close this door three times in a month. If the CFIs close the hanger every time they move the plane, they probably have to open and close it multiple times every day, and it sounds like a pain in the butt. So I wouldn't expect them to be very sympathetic to your having to do it every other week.

My suggestion is have a conversation about the above two items and let them know that if they'll keep the ramps inside and lubricate the wheels, you'll be happy to roll the door closed when necessary, but as is, it's very difficult for you to do. (And if they do those things, they might even close the doors themselves.)

Since you're a pro at lubricating your door, you might even offer to help them do theirs.

Do you have kids? Do you pick up their socks when the leave them in the middle of the floor?

Or does your wife continually pick up after you?

I’m not their door closer nor their father. They made the decision to rent a hangar that they maybe would have to open and close multiple times a day. Not me. I’m also not their door mechanic.

They are inconveniencing me because they are lazy and to tell you the truth. I wasn’t nearly as angry about it until I see posts like yours defending them.
Blocking the hangar door? Amateur move.

True professionals arrange their ground vehicles to block the taxiway.
View attachment 127089
Ron Wanttaja
this is a common occurrence at our airport.

In Texas, we'd just be wearing the Glock! But that doesn't intimidate anyone, we see them all the time!

Well, we're usually carrying here in FL, too, but we can't carry openly (thanks to a gutless legislature owned by the tourist industry, but I digress) so a t-shirt is our only option.

Back