Furnace Creek L06 in Death Valley runway PIREP anyone?

robertb

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
robertb
Hello all,
Anybody have recent info on the runway condition at L06 Furnace Creek? Heading there tomorrow in our 182. Our bird doesn't wear any pants, btw. ;)

Thanks in advance!

No Pirep, but please share yours when you get back. I'm very curious about the state of the runway.

We traveled to Furnace Creek on 3/19/24 and stayed for two nights. The runway was in better condition than I had expected based on other pireps floating around. The east side of the runway appeared to be in better condition. So, we just used the right side of the runway when landing on 33 and the left side when departing on 15. Yes, there are chunks and cracks. But, soft field technique takes care of that with no problems. The parking area was in perfectly fine condition. There is a restroom at the airstrip. I saw a couple of ropes tied to the cable anchors but we had brought our own ropes. All was good. If you are headed that way, the stables at furnace creek are a neat way to spend a little time. They offer a sunset ride as well as moonlit rides when the moon is getting full.

Attachments

• Death Valley Runway 1.jpg
    Death Valley Runway 1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
  • Death Valley Runway 2.jpg
    Death Valley Runway 2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 45
  • Death Valley Runway 3.jpg
    Death Valley Runway 3.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 44
  • Death Valley Runway 4.jpg
    Death Valley Runway 4.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 43
Thanks for the PIREP and pictures. It's been advertised as much worse than that. Apprexiate the picts.

Was there any wildflower action from all the rains?

Back