Lowest terrain approaching Plattgburgh NY from the south

bkspero

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
bkspero
When possible I'd prefer to fly routes over flatlands where there are more favorable conditions in the event that a forced landing is needed.

In a few weeks I have a flight planned from central New Jersey to Plattsburgh NY (KPBG). The southern half is easy as I can stay east of the Adirondack wooded hills and over the Hudson River plains by flying direct the TALCO intersection then direct Albany NY. But further north direct KPBG puts me over some hills pretty quickly after Albany. The topographic map seems to show that there is a flatter plain just to the east of Lake Champlain (sort of direct Burlington Aiport, KBTV). It looks to me that a good route might be direct the JOGIM waypoint after Albany, then north to the WEIGH waypoint. After that, a left turn northwest direct KPBG.

This route seems to fit my objective while only adding about 6 nm to the route as long as the terrain in the low area east of Lake Champlain isn't dense woodlands. What is the terrain like in that area? Is there a better option?

What is your starting airport? I picked a random airport in NJ to KPBG and the highest point was 3800’ along the route.

I am starting at 39N. The problem isn't the height of the hills, it's more that the options for a forced landing in the higher elevations along that route are primarily either dense woods or granite. Flying in the lowlands east of the hills south of Albany means lots of open fields (farms, golf courses, sports fields, etc.). I was looking for a route north of Albany with similarly hospitable flat open fields.

Google Earth is your friend for looking at the terrain you'll be flying over.

I flew from CT to Marcy Field (1I1) with a fuel stop at Ticonderoga (4B6) in my Hatz a year and a half ago and I didn't find the terrain particularly intimidating, except for the last few miles into the high peaks region. There's lots of farmland between the Thruway and the lake.

Google Earth is your friend for looking at the terrain you'll be flying over.
In the words of Homer Simpson...."Doh!"

I see what you mean. There are fields interspersed with the woodlands along the west side of the Lake. The east side is just about all fields in a swath 6-8 miles wide. Either would work, but I'll probably take the eastern route out of an abundance of caution.

Thank-you.

Do you use foreflight?

Can copy paste this route into FF.

Highest point is 2171’. Follows a lake / river and looks like plenty of roads en route too.

39N 20N KALB 43.43°N/73.72°W 43.63°N/73.55°W 4B6 B06 KPBG

No Foreflight, but thanks. I can work out another way to input that route.

Back