G5 Question

SoCal 182 Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
SoCal 182 Driver
Friends - I was flying over the weekend and noticed an X through the GPSS indication on my G5. Picture attached. I don't think I've ever noticed that before. Can someone tell me what it means?

Thanks!

24-0309 G5 pic.jpg

I just happened to have the G5 manual open for a different reason.

The pilot guide says it indicates a problem with the GAD 29B - an interface between the G5 and a non-Garmin autopilot that's used for converting digital to analog from the G5 heading bug.

Does this help

Attachments

• 190-01112-13_03.pdf
    682.4 KB · Views: 10
I just happened to have the G5 manual open for a different reason.

The pilot guide says it indicates a problem with the GAD 29B - an interface between the G5 and a non-Garmin autopilot that's used for converting digital to analog from the G5 heading bug.
thank you.

Nah that’s normal when in GPSS mode. The heading bug is has an X on it because it’s in GPSS mode. You’re fine no failures.
I've seen two different things in the book, yours is the correct on in this case, but the one I mentioned earlier was the one I came across first.

But it specifies amber for the GPSS, and the OP image shows white.

Screen Shot 2024-03-11 at 8.26.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-11 at 8.29.02 PM.png

I've seen two different things in the book, yours is the correct on in this case, but the one I mentioned earlier was the one I came across first.

But it specifies amber for the GPSS, and the OP image shows white.

View attachment 126591

View attachment 126590
When my dual G5’s were installed I had that problem with the amber and VFR. It was in fact a bad GAD unit. Garmin hooked us up with a new one and has been good since thankfully.

It's all correct. The key is the X is white. It is showing that the heading bug is not operating because the unit is following GPS data. There is no error, just showing that it's in GPSS mode and NOT heading mode. The symbol under the X is an image of the heading bug to show that it's not the operating mode.

I would guess you have a non-Garmin autopilot. There is no mode called GPSS when using the G5 with a GFC500.

It's all correct. The key is the X is white. It is showing that the heading bug is not operating because the unit is following GPS data. There is no error, just showing that it's in GPSS mode and NOT heading mode. The symbol under the X is an image of the heading bug to show that it's not the operating mode.

I would guess you have a non-Garmin autopilot. There is no mode called GPSS when using the G5 with a GFC500.

I have an Aerocruze 100 (TruTrak) autopilot. I also have a switch that will allow me to have either the G5 or GPS input data to the autopilot. At the time I snapped that picture, I was using GPSS controlled by the GPS. Based on @Hang 4's explanation, the picture would be consistent with the G5 not controlling the autopilot at the time the picture was taken.

I appreciate everyone's input on this. Thanks!

Back