Likely hood of HIMS?/Would this issue need to be reported?

hashed

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Hashed
Hi there, I’ve recently become very interested in trying to actually make a dream a reality by starting with a private pilots license but upon research, I’m concerned about being able to get a 1st class medical.. in late 2018 I was stopped by police for rolling a stop sign and I was charged with a misdemeanor Marijuana possession, the charge was dropped/abandoned after completing a pre trial diversion (15 hours of community service). I wasn’t physically arrested, they just gave me the citation for weed, a warning for the stop sign and let me go, I wasn’t convicted and it was dropped after the community service.. This is the only charge that I have and only thing on my record. So my question is how likely would it be for me to get deferred and end up in HIMS or is this something that needs to be reported at all? I have all the documentation for it if it does need to be reported.. just confused here

Has anyone gone through the process with JUST one weed charge that wasn’t convicted for? No other issues here otherwise

Hi there, I’ve recently become very interested in trying to actually make a dream a reality by starting with a private pilots license but upon research, I’m concerned about being able to get a 1st class medical.. in late 2018 I was stopped by police for rolling a stop sign and I was charged with a misdemeanor Marijuana possession, the charge was dropped/abandoned after completing a pre trial diversion (15 hours of community service). I wasn’t physically arrested, they just gave me the citation for weed, a warning for the stop sign and let me go, I wasn’t convicted and it was dropped after the community service.. This is the only charge that I have and only thing on my record. So my question is how likely would it be for me to get deferred and end up in HIMS or is this something that needs to be reported at all? I have all the documentation for it if it does need to be reported.. just confused here

Has anyone gone through the process with JUST one weed charge that wasn’t convicted for? No other issues here otherwise
Have you used marijuana in the past two years?

Good news is only a third class is needed for PPL and you can do sport pilot on your driver’s license.

I suggest you read, very closely, the MedXpress User Guide, particularly the info in Appendix B, Item 21.21.v.

Hey thanks, I read it but the wording is still a bit confusing and I get mixed answers or grey area answers across the board so I’m just not sure (probably going to talk to an aviation attorney)

Can you substantiate that?
That's the key.
How do you prove you haven’t smoked weed for longer than any testing would indicate that you had?

I haven’t smoked weed in over two years. How would I substantiate that?

Six months of random urine testing for the coming period, and multiple testimony on letterhead from person who are in a position to know.
This crazy board is full of assertions. FAA doesn't deal in assertions. It deals with substantiated facts.

(There's a guy in another string grinding his axe; handle is "H___screwed". He also, doesn't seem to "get" that.)

My point was, proving that someone isn’t currently using doesn’t prove that they haven’t done so in the past couple of years. I must have misinterpreted your question.

Of course what the FAA wants as proof is relevant only if this is required to be reported.

Six months of random urine testing for the coming period, and multiple testimony on letterhead from person who are in a position to know.
This crazy board is full of assertions. FAA doesn't deal in assertions. It deals with substantiated facts.

(There's a guy in another string grinding his axe; handle is "H___screwed". He also, doesn't seem to "get" that.)
If you think this board is crazy, you should see Facebook! I have been trying to educate a guy who thinks that rockets can't work outside the atmosphere. It has not been going well!

Hello All,

New to forum. I am currently a pilot in the US Military and looking to get out and fly commercially in 3.5 years. I know it is a ways away but I have a unique circumstance.

Back when I started flight training in 2018, the Navy puts you through a course flying a Cessna for 15 hours and has you apply for a 3rd Class Medical. About a year later in 2019 now in Navy flight training, I received a package from the FAA saying they have been trying to reach me and that my 3rd class certificate was suspended due to them needing more information regarding 2 alcohol related events back in college a Minor in Consumption, blew .04 (2013), and Open Container in Public Violation, beer outside of a loud party near the beach (2015). In both cases, I was not close to intoxicated and really was the case of poor judgment on my part being at the wrong place/wrong time. They both resulted in essentially traffic infraction fines of $300. I called the FAA number on the letter back in 2019 and they basically told me that I would still be fine flying with the military with the annual flight surgeon physical, so I didn't think much of it and moved on.

I disclosed both incidents in my initial application to the Navy and wrote statements. There isn't a police record of any kind other than traffic court documentation I gathered years back that the cases were settled back in 2013 and 2015 when I paid the fine. They had me go through some sort of alcohol psych eval when I first joined the Navy and I've been good to fly ever since.

Fast forward to now, I am starting to look into life outside the military, and am now concerned this might be a hiccup. Do you see any reason the FAA would make me go through the HIMS program for 2 minor offenses 10+ years ago? I really appreciate any insight/advice you may have.

Last edited:
Back