Abuse vs dependence

N

Nobody

My medical was denied for alcohol dependency but later amended to alcohol abuse after appealing to the NTSB. Their letter basically asks for random monitoring which I’ve been doing a while to get an SI. What can I expect from here?

My medical was denied for alcohol dependency but later amended to alcohol abuse after appealing to the NTSB. Their letter basically asks for random monitoring which I’ve been doing a while to get an SI. What can I expect from here?
Have you gotten any information back from CAMI about your alcohol abuse? I don't know what you can "expect" but I suspect that the FAA will probably want you to continue the random monitoring (i.e., "trust, but verify.")

Good luck!

Haven’t gotten a CAMI yet. Wondering if anyone in a similar situation could summarize a time frame they’ve had.

Send me a Private Message. I have some info.

It makes me happy to hear that someone was able to appeal to the NTSB and have some success. Was it the full ntsb panel of judges or was it just the single judge? I’m guessing you probably shouldn’t have even been labeled as an alcohol abuser and the faa was once again going overboard.

The FAAs response to my appeal to the NTSB was an amended letter changing their dependency stance to abuse. Haven’t gone to pretrial or anything. Still denied the medical but what does bbchien say might follow. Hoping to get an SI by summer but not sure if that’s outta line.

The FAAs response to my appeal to the NTSB was an amended letter changing their dependency stance to abuse. Haven’t gone to pretrial or anything. Still denied the medical but what does bbchien say might follow. Hoping to get an SI by summer but not sure if that’s outta line.
I have gone through something similar if you would like to discuss.

I appreciate that but I lost trust with them and I don’t trust you. Just looking for anonymous answers.

Thanks for all your help. I’ve got plenty of months monitoring without being too specific but how long would it take for an SI if I asked today.

@bbchien if you could give me a rough guess on my last question that would be great. I’m trying to make a decision if I’ll fly this summer for work or stay in financial survival another year.

@bbchien if you could give me a rough guess on my last question that would be great. I’m trying to make a decision if I’ll fly this summer for work or stay in financial survival another year.
Have you asked your HIMS AME about calling the RFS for a verbal authorization? I am not sure whether that is permitted. Perhaps @bbchien will speak to that as well. There seems to be a general lack of understanding amongst a lot of those involved, except for @bbchien and some of the other AMEs on this board.

The regional flight surgeon in this case will not be able to do anything. Not quite as useless as okc or dc but still pretty useless.

3rd class: 210 days if you had a HIMS AME sponsorship, and applicatio
it’s a second class and I saw him last April or may when he sent the form in later being denied as dependent and not to long ago the letter was amended as abuse. When’s this 210 days start? Been on monitoring over a year

it’s a second class and I saw him last April or may when he sent the form in later being denied as dependent and not to long ago the letter was amended as abuse. When’s this 210 days start? Been on monitoring over a year
I think I can give you some advice and direction, my situation was similar.

Thanks but I’d rather stay anonymous. If you’d like to post your story here that’d be nice but you don’t have to.

Your success in appealing to NTSB makes me reconsider mine. I was denied in 2022 by AMCD for diagnosis of abuse. Successfully followed all recommendations for reconsideration. HIMS psyc evaluation echoed AMCD diagnosis. Two years later denied and changed diagnosis to dependence per Washington opinion. Over 700 compliant Soberlink and 29 clean random tests to date, the saga continues…

Your success in appealing to NTSB makes me reconsider mine. I was denied in 2022 by AMCD for diagnosis of abuse. Successfully followed all recommendations for reconsideration. HIMS psyc evaluation echoed AMCD diagnosis. Two years later denied and changed diagnosis to dependence per Washington opinion. Over 700 compliant Soberlink and 29 clean random tests to date, the saga continues…
Don’t stop fighting!!!

Sid, in part 67 it's less about extended abstinence and more about recovery, and education. Going to NTSB is expen$ive and is generally cheaper once you figure in the attorney, to just do the rehab and the aftercare.

Last edited:
We just got a letter on one of my HIMs applicants encouring him to go back to the HIMS pscyhiatrist for the one year followup and for me to submit it, so that "when they get to the file it will be current, and to update all the testing, AA log, and aftercare items. that should give you an idea of how long this is taking. sigh.

Sid, in part 67 it's less about extended abstinence and more about recovery, and education. Going to NTSB is expen$ive and is generally cheaper once you figure in teh attorney, to just do the rehab and the aftercare.
lol! Yeah! Just suck it up and take it up the ass! Do not stand for yourself! That would be ridiculous!! ‍♂️

lol! Yeah! Just suck it up and take it up the ass! Do not stand for yourself! That would be ridiculous!! ‍♂️

THAT is precisely what they are hoping for…

THAT is precisely what the major airlines TEST FOR (think MMPI) in their hiring.

We just got a letter on one of my HIMs applicants encouring him to go back to the HIMS pscyhiatrist for the one year followup and for me to submit it, so that "when they get to the file it will be current, and to update all the testing, AA log, and aftercare items. that should give you an idea of how long this is taking. sigh.
I got such a letter at around the 8th month marker. Did all that was required with all favorable reports from HIMS psychiatrist, HIMS neuropsychologist, and HIMS AME. All three said abuse. This was all submitted and confirmed 4 months ago. It has moved from “transmit” to “review” over the last 30 days. What does this really mean? Any input would be appreciated. Am I still looking at 210 days or much less?

Yup. >= 210 days. It's a monster backlog.
Thank you. That's what I was expecting. I did to all the requested items on the letter. All 3 HIMS doctors gave very favorable reports and all 3 stated it was abuse.

Yup. >= 210 days. It's a monster backlog.
Is there anything I can do. I have been 100% compliant for over a year. I have literally done more then any of their letters asked for. I just want to get my medical and get back to flying.

What was the issue that prompted the alcohol deferred status on your medical. Have you completed the HIMS program?

Back