So - how is this done?

Ventucky Red

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jon
There is a gent on the Cessna 150-152 Lounge Facebook group that has announced they are in the process of getting an STC to add 40 LBS to the 152 takeoff weight from 1,670 to 1,710... without any changes to the airframe, power plant etc...

I am not doubting him, more so applauding him if he can get it done. Curiosity getting the best of me has asked how would this be done. Do the numbers from the factory have built-in safety margins?

Thanks

There's an STC for some of the 172's to limit flaps to 30 degrees which will gain 100lbs.
Wondering if he's pushing for the same on the 152's or something.

just a WAG... maybe that already exists. Anyone know?

It's possible that the original max gross was specified in order for the aircraft to meet one-or-more performance parameters, rather than limitations with the powerplant or airframe structure. It may be possible to increase max gross safely, without airframe or powerplant modifications, as long the pilot understands the effect that the increased weight has on takeoff/landing distances, V-speeds, etc.

Whether this is, in-fact, the case with C150/152 airframes specifically, I have no idea.

There’s an STC for c182 P and Q model that is nothing more than a pice of paper and it adds 150 lbs to your takeoff weight. It doesn’t require any changes to the aircraft at all.

Back