G5 batteries charging issue

Barb182

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Barb
Has anyone had a problem with G5 batteries having unusually low charge reading due to cold weather, and brief hiatus flying or have an opinion about this?

First 2 flights of 2 hr each after hiatus, battery charge read mid 60% for both after shut down (but read 100% if power button pushed at end of flight). At beginning and end of 3rd flight, charge read 96-100% range.

My G5 batteries were installed in 6/2021 and 9/2021. They charged fine through end of 12/2023. Had to take month of January off from flying due to weather and other factors. Plane is in an unheated hangar. There was a week in January where temps were in the 15-30F range. Most of month was 30-45/50F.

I think cold weather and lack of flying for 4 weeks caused the low charge and somehow caused discrepancy glitch between automatic readout and menu power readout.

They may not fully recharge in cold temps.

Have you checked "(2022) Service Bulletin 22013 Rev A: G5 Backup Battery Discharge" to see if your unit is affected? A large number of early G5 units had an idle battery discharge issue which is fixed by this service bulletin. Unfortunately, I think the freebie fix offered by Garmin expired last February. My G5s were affected, and I complained to Garmin for over a year until this SB was issued. They would lose about 2-3% of charge per day when idle with the master power off. I sent mine in and they exchanged them for newer units. My G5s now read 95-100% backup battery capacity even after a month of more of idleness. They always charge back up to 100% after a flight of more than 15-20 minutes.

Back