Obtaining copy of FAA medical record

S

ShowMe

I apologize if this has been answered before.

I am in the process of trying to obtain a Class 3 medical with an SI. I have seen a HIMS Psychiatrist 6 months ago, and afterward asked for a copy of the records. He told me that he could not/may not give that to me, instead I should contact the FAA and ask for a copy of my chart.

Looking at the medexpress site my chart is in process (5 1/2 months) and I do not see an option on the site to contact them for a copy of my HIMS psych report - only IT/password issues it seems.

So if anybody can give me a phone number or email to contact the FAA for obtaining this it would be much appreciated.

The HIMS psychiatrist can absolutely give you his report he made on you. And if he won’t give it to you ask your HIMS ame for it. I’m pretty sure you actually legally have a right to that report and he is obligated to give it to you. However, the faa encourages there HIMS professionals to withhold their reports from pilots. And of course the pilot isn’t going to threaten the ame/psychiatrist with legal action because then they will get an unfavorable report and be grounded forever.

You absolutely have a legal right to a copy of your medical records. A reasonable copying fee can be charged by the provider. To refuse can put the provider in hot water with the appropriate state board and possibly legal action.

You absolutely have a legal right to a copy of your medical records. A reasonable copying fee can be charged by the provider. To refuse can put the provider in hot water with the appropriate state board and possibly legal action.
When I went for my initial psych evaluation and both my HIMS ame and HIMS psych refused to give me the report I left it alone because I knew if I fought it I would never get my medical. But you’re 100% right, the doctor could get in trouble for it with the state licensure. The faa needs to stop encouraging doctors to violate federal law.

When I went for my initial psych evaluation and both my HIMS ame and HIMS psych refused to give me the report I left it alone because I knew if I fought it I would never get my medical. But you’re 100% right, the doctor could get in trouble for it with the state licensure. The faa needs to stop encouraging doctors to violate federal law.
Most of you are missing the real question. The HIMS pscyhiatrist needs teh AME version of the airmans medical record that has not been through the airmans' custody. That record comes from the FAA direct to the HIMS AME and is marked "not to be dislcosed dto the airman". That's one of my scut duties when a HIMS psychiatrist is engaged: "get that record and get it to the HIMS pscyhiatrist".

Here's the form.....and where to send the form is "on the form". Have At.

Attachments

• BluRbnAsk(preaddressed)06.29.18.pdf
    290 KB · Views: 44
Most of you are missing the real question. The HIMS pscyhiatrist needs teh AME version of the airmans medical record that has not been through the airmans' custody. That record comes from the FAA direct to the HIMS AME and is marked "not to be dislcosed dto the airman". That's one of my scut duties when a HIMS psychiatrist is engaged: "get that record and get it to the HIMS pscyhiatrist".

Here's the form.....and where to send the form is "on the form". Have At.
Dr Chien, what do you think about some of these HIMS ame/psychiatrists refusing to give the pilot the evaluation that they were paid to perform? Do you think they should be doing this?

NOTE WELL - I just received the below email response from the FAS office today in response to a request for update. It appears if you want a copy of your file, you must do it IMMEDIATELY upon submitting everything to OKC, or risk being pulled out of line. This is unreal.

"I wanted to give you update for your case- We did initially receive your case for a psychiatry opinion on March 13, 2023 and sent you a letter advising case was received. Your case was put in line on March 14, 2023.

However, on August 3, 2023 you requested a copy of your FAA medical records. When this action took place our Oklahoma City files department pulled your case out of line for psychiatry review to fulfill your request for your FAA medical file.

Unfortunately, this action caused your case to get out of your March place in line. We apologize for this delay. I have put in a request to the Federal Air Surgeon psychiatry manager of this situation and requested expedited review."

This is how an overloaded bureaucracy behaves. A bureaucrat will use ANY excuse to get your case out of his queue and to make the delay no longer his fault. Not surprised at all.

Why does the file have to be pulled out of the digital queue to make copies? They can’t just access the file and print it from there server? And if it HAS to actually be pulled from the queue why don’t they just put it back where it was in line?

Why does the file have to be pulled out of the digital queue to make copies? They can’t just access the file and print it from there server? And if it HAS to actually be pulled from the queue why don’t they just put it back where it was in line?

Because. (Refer to my post, #10, above.)

That is not how it works. Sounds like an inept excuse, to me. I order the charts ALL THE TIME and processing occurs normally. In fact, sometimes I have to order it so that I can figure out what is going to next be necessary so that progress is TIMELY (!).

Last edited:
Back