How is the post about Dan Gryder not a personal attack???

I’m conflicted. I generally speaking disagree with Dan probably as much as I agree with him, but despite that disagreement I genuinely don’t think he does it for the money. And yes, I've directly talked to him. When he's wrong, I think he's sometimes very damaging, but I believe that like a certain FAA individual I used to talk to, he really believes he's on a mission that he's called to.

Last edited:
Why does the do YT channel? Quoting from Smokey and the Bandit:

“Bandit: For the good old American life: For the money, for the glory, and for the fun... [but] mostly for the money thrill of trying to make the NTSB look bad”.

Retired airline guy, I would hope he had a sizeable 401k (or [frozen] pension in the case of Delta, and/or a lump sum if he's old enough to have been eligible for that).

I’m conflicted. I generally speaking disagree with Dan probably as much as I agree with him, but despite that disagreement I genuinely don’t think he does it for the money.
For me, I don't care much if he's doing it for the money or not. There are people on YT that are definitely doing it for the money and I like their content and am happy to support them with clicks and, occasionally, with patreon. There also people on YT that are in it for the love of the game and I like their content also.

So for Dan, my issue is the stuff he gets wrong and the track record demonstrated in the links that started this whole discussion. Then the stalker case. Whether he's doing it for the money or not isn't even part of the equation.

Has the thread in question been deleted?

Maybe re-titled?
I think you're right. I haven't seen the current thread title before, in spite the fact that it's 15 pages long, and I posted on the first page of it.

I sent the following communication to the moderators this morning:

"Is Dan Gryder the biggest tool on aviation Youtube?"

I've been a member of this forum for a long time and I've never seen a post like this.

How is this NOT a personal attack according to the forum rules? Including the part about "on or off the forum".

"Personal attacks are prohibited. This specifically means any text/post that is blatantly attacking another person, on or off the forum, especially in a personal way. Make your point without calling names or casting aspersions on others."

Many people believe DG is doing something important for GA, myself included. In fact, he is the only public personality I know that is actively trying to improve aviation safety. AND he is doing it for no monetary benefit!

What kind of aviation forums allows such a personal attack on someone that is just trying to help all pilots and calling the FAA to task for not doing their jobs?

I find this entire thread, and especially the title, disturbing.

How can this NOT be interpreted under the forum rules as a "personal attack"?

I would like to see this thread deleted in accordance with the forum rules.

I have a package deal for a dude just like you:

A bridge in NY AND some ocean front property in AZ.

You’ll be the real estate king of East and West!

I don’t understand. Where was this White Knight who defends the fair damsel Dan (Dansel?) when the Tool thread was started two and a half years ago?
Suspect he never uses the "New Posts" function, and just manually clicks certain groups.

Ron Wanttaja

He is a public figure who routinely accuses pilots of misconduct or incompetence. To call him a tool when it comes to his act on YouTube is not a personal attack but a valid commentary on his business practices.

To call him the 'biggest' in anything gives him too much credit.

He is a public figure who routinely accuses pilots of misconduct or incompetence. To call him a tool when it comes to his act on YouTube is not a personal attack but a valid commentary on his business practices.

To call him the 'biggest' in anything gives him too much credit.

Well, you could call him some biggest somethings, but most of those would probably be personal attacks.

I've been personally attacked by DG. If you call him out for a very obvious mistake, he stands firm and doesn't want to listen to the truth. Then, some of his "fans" will jump all over you for attempting to disagree with the almighty. Instead of trying to find and respect the truth in the topic, it's all about discounting the value of the people who disagree with him. It's a bit of a cult attitude that doesn't allow meaningful discourse. Those interested in the pursuit of aviation safety, should not bully others.

Last edited:
Public figures, especially political ones, are attacked all the time and it is generally considered an acceptable practice. I don't see why Mr. Gryder is any different. If he chooses to place himself on a public forum and express his opinions, he needs to accept that he will invite criticism, justified or not.

Public figures, especially political ones, are attacked all the time and it is generally considered an acceptable practice. I don't see why Mr. Gryder is any different. If he chooses to place himself on a public forum and express his opinions, he needs to accept that he will invite criticism, justified or not.
How do we not all fall into that category, making the ROC meaningless?

How do we not all fall into that category, making the ROC meaningless?

Those who post under their own names are public figures. Those of us who use screen names, like Salty or Half Fast, are not. Lucky us; we get to take pot shots at the public figures.
:biggrin:

Those who post under their own names are public figures. Those of us who use screen names, like Salty or Half Fast, are not. Lucky us; we get to take pot shots at the public figures.
:biggrin:
what about people who use screen names that look like they could be real names?

Grand compromise. Auto-censor the last name or the first and last name and replace with *s or wingdings or icons (like Prince). Can’t do that with just the initials, because we could realistically be talking about Directional Gyros.

The alternatives are
1. Automatically spinzone out of existence any reference to the person or his YT channel.
2. Insta-eject anybody trying to defend him.

But I do believe crusading on behalf of a public figure is a stupid hill to die on.

Back