Does a failed 2nd class Medical void my previous (and valid) 3rd class?

Gordon Freeman

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
GordonF
I have light amblyopia in my right eye, and the distant vision in that eye is only correctable to about 20/40. Vision in my left eye is 20/20, and my combined vision with both eyes is 20/20. However, 2nd class medical requires vision in each eye individually to be correctable to 20/20 (distant vision). Aside from that, I have no concerns over anything else (I'm a healthy, slim, 42yo with no history and no medications, no convictions, no drug/alcohol, etc.).

I am fairly certain they're going to fail me for my right-eye vision, forcing me to get a SODA, which can be a time-consuming process.

My 3rd class Medical is valid until the end of 2024, so I'm curious, if I go and take my 2nd class medical now, and I fail, will that automatically void my existing 3rd class medical?

I know commercial pilots who are fully blind in one eye and have a SODA, so I'm not concerned. I just want to limit my flying downtime to a minimum, which is why I'd like to apply for a 2nd class, and then pursue a SODA while still fly on my existing 3rd class.

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but search didn't show anything relevant.

Yes, if you fail a medical exam it will void your current medical. I would recommend that an admin move this to the medical topics forum so one of our resident AMEs can give you more details.

Yes, if you fail a medical exam it will void your current medical. I would recommend that an admin move this to the medical topics forum so one of our resident AMEs can give you more details.
Ah, thank you. I didn't realize there was a medical forum here.

Bummer to hear that it would void any existing medicals. I just took delivery of a plane in order to build time, and I can't imagine having it sit and accrue costs while I get a SODA worked out for such a minor technicality.

Yes, if you fail a medical exam it will void your current medical....

Do you have a reference for that, as applied to seeking a higher-class medical?

The only one I can think of is 61.53(a), but it sounds like he still meets the requirements for his 3rd-class medical.

Same condition. Same eye. Correctable to 20/40...maybe. I plan on getting a SODA when my current medical expires.

Wearing an eye patch as a kid thinking I was a pirate was kinda fun.

I wish I could still find it, but I came across a thread on reddit a few months ago about a pilot who went in for a second class. He had 20/25 vision in one eye. The AME issued a third class in the office so the pilot could keep flying. The pilot had to contact the regional flight surgeon for authorization to take a medical flight test. Then contact the FSDO to schedule the test.

I wish I could still find it, but I came across a thread on reddit a few months ago about a pilot who went in for a second class. He had 20/25 vision in one eye. The AME issued a third class in the office so the pilot could keep flying. The pilot had to contact the regional flight surgeon for authorization to take a medical flight test. Then contact the FSDO to schedule the test.
Interesting, so if I were to fail a 2nd class, the AME might - at his sole discretion - issue a 3rd class, provided I meet the criteria. This would enable me to continue flying under 3rd while obtaining a SODA for 2nd class.

I will go and meet with an AME as a consultation to see if this is how he would process this. This is very helpful, thank you.

In 2022, I had cataract surgery. My medical exam happened to occur after one eye was operated on, but the other was waiting. So, I could not meet the requirement for a 2nd class certificate because the prescription eyeglasses were not working under those conditions. The AME issued a 3rd class, and a year later (I have annual exams) I easily passed and got a new 2nd class.

Go have a consult with a good AME. Then do what you need to do, then take the medical exam and Bob's your uncle.

Jumping into this thread because I'm curious about a similar thing. I have my 3rd class SI and went to get my 2nd class medical but was deferred (because of an ear infection that I don't have). Anyway, does being deferred from the 2nd class make it to where I can't use my 3rd class because of 61.53(a)? My primary thinking for why I can't is that 61.53(a) says "knows or has reason to know," does being deferred make you have "reason to know?"

Actually not, David. The deferred (or FAILED as you say) is for a different and higher class. You continue for vision to meet stds for a 3rd.

You retain your valid 3rd as FAA recognizes you will need that to fly with the pilot examiner/ ASO after the paperwork has been done.

This is the path for many many, in your situation.

Last edited:
Back