Finally restarted my flying lessons.

If you have the paper, you're golden. Scan it for reference, then put the paper away in a fire safe or safe deposit box. Go forth and BasicMed.
When I did my Stage 1 Ground Check Friday, I found out my old combination medical and student pilot certificate are no longer valid. I spent some time on my own over the weekend trying to get it straightened out on my own, with no joy. I called FAA this AM, waited a few minutes and got through. I was able to complete a new application for a new student pilot certificate and the FTN is in my CFI's hands so he can review, and I hope, approve the application.

I cancelled today's (Monday) flight and rescheduled for Friday, just before Christmas. I hope I maintain my skills in the interim.

When I did my Stage 1 Ground Check Friday, I found out my old combination medical and student pilot certificate are no longer valid. I spent some time on my own over the weekend trying to get it straightened out on my own, with no joy. I called FAA this AM, waited a few minutes and got through. I was able to complete a new application for a new student pilot certificate and the FTN is in my CFI's hands so he can review, and I hope, approve the application.

I cancelled today's (Monday) flight and rescheduled for Friday, just before Christmas. I hope I maintain my skills in the interim.
I thought student pilot licenses don't expire, they just get superseded by your actual license upon checkride. Is that not right? Curious how the combination of the two could be invalid?

I thought student pilot licenses don't expire, they just get superseded by your actual license upon checkride. Is that not right? Curious how the combination of the two could be invalid?
The student pilot certificate that used to be combined with the medical certificate was changed to plastic several years ago. With the paper ones, I believe they had a two-year duration. If I am right, all of them would have expired by now.

You need to able to keep your eyes outside in slow flight. True slow flight means that if you bank more than maybe 10 degrees or increase AOA, the wing will stall. You want to be eyes out so you learn the visual cues - nose position relative to the horizon - and seat-of-the-pants feel to stay coordinated. The mind-muscle connection will come quicker than from looking at the instruments and interpreting their meaning. You’ve got a lifetime of adjusting your body’s position relative to the horizon and by feel - why not use that innate ability, which translates quite naturally to coordinating a moving vessel? Riding a bike uses the same skillset. Hundreds of thousands of pilots learned coordinated slow flight - and thus a controlled, on-speed approach and landing - in planes that didn’t have any sort of attitude indicator beyond the Mk.1 Mod 0 Eyeball.

Some one explained to me that what we used to do is minimum controllable airspeed. Now it's slow flight. MCA was done with the stall horn blaring hanging near stall. Was good for reinforcing that rudder is primary if a wing starts dipping. Slow flight has a pretty comfortable margin above stall.

The student pilot certificate that used to be combined with the medical certificate was changed to plastic several years ago. With the paper ones, I believe they had a two-year duration. If I am right, all of them would have expired by now.
Like since 2016. No medical since then? This has to be the most asymptotic journey I’ve heard.

Some one explained to me that what we used to do is minimum controllable airspeed. Now it's slow flight. MCA was done with the stall horn blaring hanging near stall. Was good for reinforcing that rudder is primary if a wing starts dipping. Slow flight has a pretty comfortable margin above stall.

MCA is still the requirement for Sport Pilots. Apparently it was considered too dangerous for Private Pilots, though.

MCA is still the requirement for Sport Pilots. Apparently it was considered too dangerous for Private Pilots, though.
I was told that the change was because the FAA did not think it was prudent to teach pilots to fly with the stall warning on. We are supposed to recover immediately if we hear it. If we condition ourselves to fly slow flight with the horn on, we may not react properly when it is critical.

I was taught that slow flight and MCA were when airflow separation over the wings caused a rumbling sensation in the cockpit. Explained to be right at the edge of the stall. It was fun to practice very mildly banked turns while the rumbling was occurring. Without dropping a wing, of course. This was in an Archer, PA-23-181.

-Skip

I was told that the change was because the FAA did not think it was prudent to teach pilots to fly with the stall warning on. We are supposed to recover immediately if we hear it. If we condition ourselves to fly slow flight with the horn on, we may not react properly when it is critical.
I’ve always thought that’s poor methodology and never quite understood that change in syllabi. Teaching to recover from a stall is just as important, if not more so than recognizing an approaching stall. I think students now are at a disadvantage because of this. I’m also still an advocate that spin and upset training should be part of primary training.

THIS IS HILARIOUS!!!

I don't do U-Tube (nothing against it, but I have other time sinks). I will post a picture of any Stage 1 Check endorsement I get.

Time sinks? Kind of like following this topic
or your sim training

I didn’t think you get a student pilot certificate until you solo?

I don’t remember getting anything after my solo other than my log book endorsed.
IMO you are not a student pilot until you solo.

Last edited:
I didn’t think you get a student pilot certificate until you solo?

I don’t remember getting anything after my solo other than my log book endorsed.
IMO you are not a pilot until you solo.
Things change. Back in the day your class III was also your student certificate. After 9/11 they created a new plastic one that you had to have to solo because um, well because.

I of course didn’t know this, I assumed it was the same old way when I finally decided to finish the ppl (started in 1987 and finished in 2017 (with 2400 hours as an EA-6B NFO in between) so off I went, soloed went to do the check ride. DPE asked for my student pilot certificate, handed him my Medical.. That then created a deeper conversation with my instructor and with the FBO which the DPE was also part owner of and a conversation with the FSDO.

Turns out none of my solo time for when my 1987 student pilot certificate/medical expired (1989) until now applied since I didn’t have a current student certificate. Red faces all around. Applied for my student certificate, the FBO gave me a 172 for free for the 10 hours or so I needed. My wife called me sky pirate. Did that in a week and went back and did the check ride the next week.

You simply can’t buy entertainment like this.

I’m also hopeful your skills don’t magically dissipate by Friday. Be sure to hit the Sim Hard!! It’s gotten you to where you are now.

You simply can’t buy entertainment like this.

I’m also hopeful your skills don’t magically dissipate by Friday. Be sure to hit the Sim Hard!! It’s gotten you to where you are now.
Thank you.

Practicing the skills on the simulator that my instructor is trying to teach me has helped, but a lot of people here seem to think simulator is a four-letter-word so in the interest of comity, (not comedy) I'm going to refrain from talking about simulation on this thread. Except to say that a friend of mine thought simulation was still back in the Prologic days until I showed him my setup, and all of a sudden, he was wanting his own simulator.

If I have to reschedule because of weather, I'll have a refresher flight with my CFI before I take the stage 1 check flight.

I think I can speak for everyone and say that we hope you solo successfully.

The easiest and quickest way to do that is to takeoff and land (with your instructor) five times, get his blessing, then kick him to the curb and do it solo three times.

The simulator is great for many things but you’ve been doing everything but soloing for two years now. You need to focus on that and forego everything else until it’s been accomplished.

Thank you.

Practicing the skills on the simulator that my instructor is trying to teach me has helped, but a lot of people here seem to think simulator is a four-letter-word so in the interest of comity, (not comedy) I'm going to refrain from talking about simulation on this thread. Except to say that a friend of mine thought simulation was still back in the Prologic days until I showed him my setup, and all of a sudden, he was wanting his own simulator.

If I have to reschedule because of weather, I'll have a refresher flight with my CFI before I take the stage 1 check flight.
When I was flight training 8 years ago at age 55(old and slow to learn) I did not have a sim at home and never knew when I would be flying a stage check. I just got in the plane with who they put with me with and flew for that day. There was no pass or fail on stage checks just some de briefing after the flight.

I had no idea when I was going to solo and just did the day my instructor signed my log book and got out of the plane and said go do 3 full stop landings. I did it at a delta airport talking to the tower. I think I sucked at it but remember the tower saying good job after the last landing. My instructor spent months just flying the pattern with me so I could solo. After my solo the rest of my training went pretty fast because it took me a long time to solo.

I don't understand all your studying and flying, and sim work just to get ready for stage check? That is not a big deal, a stage check. Do you even want to solo? It sounds like you have spent a fortune flying around for no real benefit for you?
It sounds like you have a nice sim, what has it done for you?
I think you just like updating this thread so we can pat you on the back? Are you trolling us?
I thought I took a long time and spent too much money, but you have me beat by a mile.
All this learning that you are claiming is supposed to be done on your own after you get your PPL. It's a License to learn.

Last edited:
When I was flight training 8 years ago at age 55(old and slow to learn) I did not have a sim at home and never knew when I would be flying a stage check. I just got in the plane with who they put with me with and flew for that day. There was no pass or fail just some de briefing after the flight.
I had no idea when I was going to solo and just did the day my instructor signed my log book and got out of the plane and said go do 3 full stop landings. I did it at a delta airport talking to the tower. I think I sucked at it but remember the tower saying good job after the last landing. My instructor spent months just flying the pattern with me so I could solo. After my solo the rest of my training went pretty fast because it took me a long time to solo.
I don't understand all your studying and flying, and sim work just to get ready for stage check? That is not a big deal, a stage check. Do you even want to solo? It sounds like you have spent a fortune flying around for no real benefit for you?
It sounds like you have a nice sim, what has it done for you?
I think you just like updating this thread so we can pat you on the back? Are you trolling us?
I thought I took a long time and spent too much money, but you have me beat by a mile.
All this learning that you are claiming is supposed to be done on your own after you get your PPL. It's a License to learn.
This FBO is very regimented. You have to dot all the i's and cross all the t's even if you are past ready to go onto the next step. I am really good at ground reference maneuvers and stalls. Most of my steep turns are within tolerance but my skills there do deteriorate. Slow flight is teaching me to keep my scan going, and I'm getting better at it.

I don't think I'll be in the pattern very long once I pass the stage 1 check. Mostly it'll be catching up on my aviation knowledge.

This FBO is very regimented. You have to dot all the i's and cross all the t's even if you are past ready to go onto the next step. I am really good at ground reference maneuvers and stalls. Most of my steep turns are within tolerance but my skills there do deteriorate. Slow flight is teaching me to keep my scan going, and I'm getting better at it.

I don't think I'll be in the pattern very long once I pass the stage 1 check. Mostly it'll be catching up on my aviation knowledge.
Does this FBO solo people? You only need to know enough to be safe. All the rest is learned on your own while you are not paying a CFI to fly around with you. I flew a school plane by myself after solo before my PPL check ride and learned plenty on my own. Each flight I felt better and better flying by myself before I earned my PPL. Saved me 50 bucks an hour not flying with a CFI before my check ride.

Last edited:
My read of this is that the armchair pilot is ignoring needing a medical to solo, so everyone be warned that after a couple other delays for cause that the OP will figure this out also.

Dot i and cross t statement is contrary to your recent delays...

Crash, how many hours do you have since you restarted in 2021?
Hope you get to fly Friday, and that it’s a successful flight.

Seems very basic and straight forward. I am not familiar with CHAPS.
Crash, how many hours do you have since you restarted in 2021?
Hope you get to fly Friday, and that it’s a successful flight.
CHAPS
C - Clearing Turns either 90 degrees left, then 90 degrees to the right. Or, 180 degrees to the left
H - Heading
A - Altitude
P - Position - Over populated or (relatively) unpopulated area
S - Safety - Gas on both, Carb heat as appropriate, Lights on, adjust mixture, breakers in, Master and ignition on, etc.

CHAPS
C - Clearing Turns either 90 degrees left, then 90 degrees to the right. Or, 180 degrees to the left
H - Heading
A - Altitude
P - Position - Over populated or (relatively) unpopulated area
S - Safety - Gas on both, Carb heat as appropriate, Lights on, adjust mixture, breakers in, Master and ignition on, etc.
...ummm..., "S" is not for "safety".

• Clear the area (clearing turns)
  • Heading established and noted
  • Altitude established
  • Position near an emergency landing area
  • Set power and aircraft configuration

I just added another 90%. I decided to suspend my membership until I could get into see an ENT about keeping my ears clear on descent. I don't know if that rapid descents are damaging my hearing, but I know it's extremely dangerous not to be able to hear ATC. My Medicare Advantage plan doesn't kick in until Jan 1, so after that I'll schedule an appointment with my ENT. There's usually a long wait, unfortunately.

There's always aviation knowledge to study while I'm waiting.

Like since 2016. No medical since then? This has to be the most asymptotic journey I’ve heard.
Try no medical since 2007. I had lots of life going on all this time. The second home I bought for my in-laws to live in was a money and time sink. Now, just money. When I'm able to sell it (when my mother-in-law moves out) I'll get more money out of it than I put into it. Of course, I won't get any of the time back. Like choosing to date my wife over becoming an Alaskan bush pilot, I made the right choice in buying the house for my wife's parents.

I just added another 90%. I decided to suspend my membership until I could get into see an ENT about keeping my ears clear on descent. I don't know if that rapid descents are damaging my hearing, but I know it's extremely dangerous not to be able to hear ATC. My Medicare Advantage plan doesn't kick in until Jan 1, so after that I'll schedule an appointment with my ENT. There's usually a long wait, unfortunately.

There's always aviation knowledge to study while I'm waiting.

There's always more sim work too!

I suspended my account in December and took January off because of the weather. Yesterday I got tired of waiting for good weather and reactivated my account.

Surprisingly enough, there was one CFI available, the one I’ll take my Stage One check flight with, available today. I thought I was ready but if it had been for real, I would have busted it.

Matt’s a good CFI and I had a great learning experience. He listed the 4 things I need to work on, and I wrote them down, to work on before my next lesson.

We usually do straight in landings on 31 because the wind is from the North. (KRHV is towered. ). Today the wind was out of the South so we did a pattern entry to 13L.

On the way back Matt asked how much of the landing I did and I think he was surprised when I told him all of it, except when I got into trouble. He shadowed the controls but it was all me, and I greased it on, down the centerline. At the Post flight briefing he said my landing was a lot better than he would expect from someone in Stage 1.

According to Matt, one more flight with Frank and I should be ready for the real stage check flight.

I do two shots of Flonase per nostril last night, two more this morning, a two more just before I left for the airport.

It wasn’t a fair test as I was able keep the descents gradual and chewed gum the whole flight and I didn’t miss an ATC call the whole flight. The perceived volume did diminish but I could still hear.

Last edited:
Glad you’re flying again!

You started in the sport star, iirc. What are you flying now?

Rooting for you. Please get your solo done!

Glad you’re flying again!

You started in the sport star, iirc. What are you flying now?

Rooting for you. Please get your solo done!
Thank you. I’m splitting my hours between C172 Ms and C172Ps. I have a couple hours in a 180 HP C172L.

If Aerodynamic Aviation had different models I’d fly them, too. I’m not ready for the Cutlass.

Last edited:
Back