Accelerated Instrument Finish Up - Is one month realistic? (and if so, where?)

MarkH

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MarkH
I have been working on my IR for over a year, but there has always been things slowing me down (CFI availability, airplane availability, personal distractions, etc).

I would like to just get it done, and I am considering going to a flight school and finishing up.

I currently have 24 hours of sim instrument, but I am not in any way prepared for the check ride because that training is spread out over more than a year.

If I were to fly 4 days a week (2-3 hour lessons) at a flight school, how realistic would finishing up in one month be? Ideally taking into account CFI availability, DPE availability and aircraft rental.

I have been looking at Sling flight academy in Torrance, CA because they have multiple newer planes, onsite maintenance and multiple CFIs. But is there any better place to consider for this? I am planning to travel and rent a room (or move my RV) to find the best place to just get this done.

I wen to CRAFT in Charleston, SC and knocked it out in 7 days including the checkride.
Some think its pricy but I didn’t have to spend months in training. Knocked out their prerequisites, went down there and had no problem with it.
You get a dedicated only to you CFII, Diamond aircraft and sim time.
I'm going back on the 15th for my accelerated commercial.

I had my written, long XC, and all the hours and knocked it out in a week down at Ryan Field outside of Tucson, AZ for most of the same reasons, life getting in the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your thought about Sling in Torrance is a good one, and you are right about what it has available in the way of planes and instructors. I rent there regularly and it’s a first class operation. The instructors there all are CFIIs, and they did their training and checkrides there, so they know what’s expected on a checkride. The planes are magnificent — equipped with G3X Touches and GTN650s, and there are a lot of them. Almost all of the planes are LSAs, so they can’t legally fly in clouds or fog. But there is one Sling TSi that’s legal in actual IMC. And Torrance should be near the end of its cloudy season soon, so now is a good time to make your plans. Talk to Wayne, Jean or Jan, and they may even be able to set you up with temporary housing.
I have been working on my IR for over a year, but there has always been things slowing me down (CFI availability, airplane availability, personal distractions, etc).

I would like to just get it done, and I am considering going to a flight school and finishing up.

I currently have 24 hours of sim instrument, but I am not in any way prepared for the check ride because that training is spread out over more than a year.

If I were to fly 4 days a week (2-3 hour lessons) at a flight school, how realistic would finishing up in one month be? Ideally taking into account CFI availability, DPE availability and aircraft rental.

I have been looking at Sling flight academy in Torrance, CA because they have multiple newer planes, onsite maintenance and multiple CFIs. But is there any better place to consider for this? I am planning to travel and rent a room (or move my RV) to find the best place to just get this done.

Last edited:
I also went to CRAFT in Charleston for my IFR. I used my own plane and in 7 days (actually less) I was finished. My instructor had an abscessed tooth so I had a partial day off in the middle. It isn't difficult to do the accelerated training if you are already comfortable in the plane. i did mine back in 2019.

I had my written, long XC, and all the hours and knocked it out in a week down at Ryan Field outside of Tucson, AZ for most of the same reasons, life getting in the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These guys popped up in my search. Would you recommend it? I considered the "finish up" option.

You can finish up your IR in a week to two weeks, certainly. But you'll want to start flying IMC pretty soon thereafter if you plan to use and maintain currency. If you are comfortable doing so, of course.

Back