Home temperature monitoring systems?

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
Looking for something I can plug in that will ping my phone (text, call, email) if there’s a power failure or if temps go out of limits.

Any recommendations or reviews?

I’d recommend using a Nest thermostat. Probably not exactly what you’re looking for, but it’s convenient and you can log on to check your current temps at any time and adjust as you see fit. There’s also a safety temperature limit that you can set. But sounds like power outages might be an issue for you and I don’t think Nest notifies you on a power outage (some forums online say it would notify you if something isn’t working correctly, such as a power outage but I haven’t tested that feature, never lost power).

I found this, it’s just one example:

https://tempstick.com/

Something like that could be placed in a crawl space or wherever there might be a chance of getting frozen pipes. In a power fail situation, you’d need a battery backup on your network though, and maybe the battery backup has a way to ping your phone?

Ecobee thermostat can have remote temperature and motion sensors in whatever rooms you choose, and is smart enough to try to keep temps where you want in the rooms you’re in or the ones you specify. You can set alerts for high and low temperature and humidity and a couple other conditions.

I'm pretty sure I remember my ecobee thermostat letting me know that it's lost wifi for some period of time. Not sure if that time limit for the notification is adjustable or not.... and not really a power failure warning directly, but would clue you in perhaps. Wouldn't be immediate though

I have wifi Honeywell thermostats, Ring cameras outside, Wyze cams in the hangar, and MyQ garage door and wifi lock controls/monitoring. All work great. If I wanted a remote temp monitor I’d add a Temp Stick and link it through MyQ. As it is my thermostats all report status and temps, and the app pings me if wifi goes out or I have other communication failures. I don’t know if Ring offers any temp monitors that don’t require a home security hub, but for their equipment that uses a bridge? I can attest that the bridge is inexpensive and works very well.

Whatever this device is, all your network equipment will need to be on a UPS and the device itself will either need to be on a UPS or have a built in battery.

Whatever this device is, all your network equipment will need to be on a UPS and the device itself will either need to be on a UPS or have a built in battery.

…and maybe a dual-WAN router with cellular backup.

Yes. I was looking at a UPS that can text or email. So you’d know if there was a power failure before temps got out of control from a disabled HVAC system.

We have used a MarCELL unit for six years on a home not regularly occupied in the winter. No complaints, good interface, reasonable price to upgrade the hardware when 3G went away.

Back