Massey Aerodrome, MD1 Living Museum

OtisAir

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
OtisAir
Had a fun flight yesterday and stopped briefly at the Massey Aerodrome (MD1), located 50 nm SSW of Wings in Philly. There is a "Living Museum" there and the good folks are really busy doing all sorts of cool things. Currently, they are restoring an F4 Corsair.

There were two L A R G E remote control aircraft flying around too.

3403522469_2a81fb1b07.jpg

Airnav has this to say about it, and the Massey Website here.
There is a chili cookoff there on May 9th or 10th, 2009.

Last edited:
Re: Massey Aerodrome, MC1 Living Museum

Hope the military doesn't decide the museum really doesn't own that Corsair after all.

Sure was a great day to be out. I'll add that airport to my list. Sounds like a great place to visit.

Aww Crapola,... just noticed it was only turf fields. Can't land there (FBO/Rental Rules) :(

Last edited:
When the Air Museum moved to modern facilities, many of the exhibits in the Quonset hut were discarded, and Massey acquired them. Many of those were of a sort that kids could relate too, and some can be played with.

My favorite from when I was 14, a cutaway 4 cylinder engine that you turn and watch the valves and piston move.

Last edited:
My favorite from when I was 14, a cutaway 4 cylinder engine that you turn and watch the valves and piston move.
It's still there, and my 10yo loved it!

The absolute best of the kid attracting displays from the Smithsonian collection are at Massey.

70 years alter, they tugged at my emotions, as they were a strong part of my road to a PPL, oops PPS.

My brother and I went several times over a year living in Washington DC. On Sunday, we each had a free trolley and bus pass, and went to the museums regularly.

Great turnout today!

Back