Detroit Grand Prix PIREP

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
We decided to go to the Detroit GP weekend, which was a Friday through Sunday. Although the NTT Indycar GP was the signature event of the weekend, they also had two NXT Indycar races (same drivers, just two separate races), two Trans Am series races (same as NXT - just two races with the same cars/drivers), and an IMSA Michelin Pilot Challenge cars.

The course was was a 1.7 mile road course with the GM Renaissance Center being at the center of the course, see the map below:

track-map-large-20230501.jpg

Conveniently, the GMRecCen has a Marriott, which is where we chose to stay. This was a fantastic decision, as it made everything about the race close regardless of whether we wanted to watch from our seats (at turn 4 on the west end) or head towards the paddock/pits (east end). Lots of restaurants within walking distance.

Really, the whole event was extremely well done. In spite of having so many people there on all three days, there were enough food trucks and vendors that lines were never long. Tons of port-a-potties so you never had to wait (and remarkably clean at that). Garbage cans all over and virtually no litter.

With three days of events, Friday was basically all practice/qualifying for the various race classes, Saturday three races (Trans Am, NXT, and IMSA) with practices, and then Sunday NTT warm-up, and races for Trans Am, NXT, and NTT. Obviously the races are what you really show up for, but it was interesting to see all of it. Being a new track, and one on public roads, they were still figuring some things out, both for the track and also the drivers. During practice a whole lot of cars hit the overruns, especially before turn 1 and then also turn 4 by where we were sitting.

When it got to races, we saw both NXT races, the IMSA race, the second Trans Am race, and of course the NTT race. I'm rather lukewarm on Trans Am cars, as I'm not a huge fan of tube chassis racecars, especially when they then have look-alike bodies of cars that have zero related parts (pretty sure they all have GM LS engines, and yet some were "Mustangs"). However, I enjoyed the Trans Am race more than I thought. Other than the NXT races, someone started at the back who should've been further up due to some glitch or rule issue, and it was really fun to watch those people move up during the race. The IMSA race required a driver swap halfway and it was clear for a lot of the teams which driver was better. That was disappointing, as we were really enjoying watching the #13 Mustang move up from last place to 9th (due to starting at the back of the grid) only to drop back to something around 13th after the relief driver was... lackluster.

All in all, a really well done event, definitely hope they will do this again next year.

Oh, and among things that we saw, a bunch of cars that seemed to want to fly:

upload_2023-6-4_19-47-56.png

The BMW drove off... to the pits for a DNF.

Glad you enjoyed it. I just watched the Indycar race, there was a lot going on. That's a pretty gnarly little circuit, I'm impressed that things went as well as they did. The Belle Isle circuit was nicer than this one, and I can see why IMSA didn't race the WeatherTech series here. With so many WeatherTech teams involved in Le Mans, there was a schedule conflict as well.

Glad you enjoyed it. I just watched the Indycar race, there was a lot going on. That's a pretty gnarly little circuit, I'm impressed that things went as well as they did. The Belle Isle circuit was nicer than this one, and I can see why IMSA didn't race the WeatherTech series here. With so many WeatherTech teams involved in Le Mans, there was a schedule conflict as well.

Yes, IMSA said that the WeatherTech series cars were over in France prepping for LeMans, and that's why they weren't here.

Things really did go quite well overall. If they'd had it on Belle Isle it would've decreased the appeal for those visiting, though, just because accessibility was so easy this way.

Sounds like a great time!

I've never been a great fan of most of the typical street courses (Monte Carlo and LeMans being exceptions). The turns are almost all 90 degrees, and it's like racing in a canyon where any small mistake puts you into a wall. But high HP cars going very fast and being loud are always fun. I've only been to an oval Indy Car race, which was fun, but seeing them on a good road course would be better.

The cost vs mistake ratio definitely is pretty unforgiving on road courses. The overruns helped but there were several cases where I saw cars in the overruns and they about got taken out by another car. That said, mess up at Indy and you’re in a wall too on the outside.

The track suited some drivers better than others. I think I would’ve done well here. Some of the drivers complained heavily, others welcomed the challenge. The ones who were basically blasting the track for being too rough didn’t win points with me. I may have smiled a bit seeing O’Ward DNF. ;)

Didn't see the race, but did see the F-some number go by east of the house on their way in and out. I assume Toledo ANG? But you know what happens when you ass u me

Back