Track car daily driver recommendations

Squeezing that much out of it probably only has two modes:
1) Operating as designed
2) Coming from together
You’re right, and Ted is also right, I am not a track guy so my comments aren’t necessarily relevant as a street driver wanting something with good long term performance.

You guys have some great advice, thank you! Lots to think about! A Miata wagon would be cool…

The hot wagon market never really took off here in the US like other places. There were a few, such as the Dodge Magnum, Cadillac CTS-V wagon, and of course the Subaru WRX wagon..I think they called it a sport back? BMW wagons are fun, but getting hard to find.

Just for giggles have a look at the Nissan Stagea RS or Mitsubishi Evo Wagon. Japan and Europe have a LOT of very fun cars that were never imported to the US.

A friend I used to work with had a Volvo wagon with a 2JZ engine swap. It was insane, but not something I’d want to take to a track.

I completely understand this post offers nothing for decision help regarding a track car, but we’re talking about cars and I can always talk about cars….and airplanes.

You did not say the budget. This is the best option I can think of.
But those are so dang heavy, even though their suspension is reasonably tight, they just don't have the agile road feel of a car like a Miata having literally half the weight. And with all that mass, they are tough on tires and brakes which can get expensive. It's an impressive lead sled though, very fast in a straight line.

I actually really enjoy driving Minis, those would also be worth a consideration if you’d be ok with a front drive car.

Attended an SCCA event a few years ago in Michigan where an original classic mini with what looked to be 10” go-cart tires absolutely toasted the entire field of big iron. Vettes, Jags, Mustangs, and even a pair of 911s.

Was a blast to watch as the field would blow past him on the straights, but with laaaate braking on the curves he pulled a bit farther ahead on every lap.

Really sank in on how good that driver was on that day with that car.

Really sank in on how good that driver was on that day with that car.

Back in the day when I was… let’s just say less law abiding on the street… essentially nobody was able to keep up with me in any sort of turns or traffic, regardless of what they or I were driving. I rather enjoyed driving a bit heavy car or SUV (my Lincoln Town Car was perhaps one of my favorites for this) and making others eyes get very wide as they questioned what they just saw it do.

We’re at the Detroit GP this weekend (I’ll do a bigger write up later) which has Indy NTT and NXT, Trans Am, and IMSA. These sorts of disparities in driver skill are quite evident in the packs, other than NTT where frankly they’re all very good drivers. Yesterdays IMSA race was especially interesting as they had a mandatory driver change halfway through. We were really cheering for a Mustang who just freight trained from the back of the pack, making it to 9th.

Then they put in the other driver, who ended up in 12th or so, I forget. Meanwhile other cars had reverse performance.

Anyway, point being, yes, that old mini beating the pack doesn’t surprise me at all. All about the driver lineup and what the course caters to.

I tried to get started in SCCA C Showroom stock, way back in 1978, running a mildly worked on 914, but go blown out of the water by the RX-7 guys back then. Couldn't afford to do enough to the car to move classes and couldn't afford another vehicle. Look at what class you want to run and see what's dominating the class if you want to complete, rather than do lots of laps for fun.

347251140_786997326360986_3085283941348012070_n.jpg

:)

I didnt see anyone mention the new toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ. Had a 2013 BRZ for a while. That car was blast to drive. Did some suspension mods, added flex fuel, tune, etc and it was even better. Track days, mountains etc...no worries. Lots of aftermarket support.

A boosted or supercharged BRZ is a real fun car. On the room side...my friend and I once fit an entire Costco shopping cart filled to the top in the BRZ and both of us. More room in them than you might think.

Had a C5 6 speed for 11 years and loved driving it, and man could that thing corner.
Are you thinking about getting another one? I drove the new one a couple of years ago at one of those supercar driving experiences, It's really a nice car and drives very well. I drove a Ferrari 458 Italia as well, and the Corvette was not far off from the Ferrari.

I didnt see anyone mention the new toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ. Had a 2013 BRZ for a while. That car was blast to drive. Did some suspension mods, added flex fuel, tune, etc and it was even better. Track days, mountains etc...no worries. Lots of aftermarket support.

A boosted or supercharged BRZ is a real fun car. On the room side...my friend and I once fit an entire Costco shopping cart filled to the top in the BRZ and both of us. More room in them than you might think.

Posts 13 and 26.

Alrighty…well my love of racing has been rekindled, with this spring being a crew chief on a go kart team and finishing well. Plus some of these threads about road racing, some acquaintances running Camaro/Mustang events, and a daily driver that’s getting older.

What do you guys recommend for a combination daily driver and occasional open track or road course car, totally for fun? Here are my requirements:
-Reliable under normal daily driving use (250k mile capable)
-Stock parts availability (large production numbers, long multiple model-year runs, parts interchange)
-Hatch back or wagon, for all my tools, parts, etc.
-Used is fine.
-Aftermarket support is low consideration (I tend to “adjust” factory parts; aftermarket is almost never as reliable). Wear parts not included in my statement (like brakes). This might change.

Will I regret asking this question? LOL!
C7 Z06/Z07 is the easy answer here

C7 Z06/Z07 is the easy answer here

Lol, definitely a great choice, just a bit harder on the pocketbook. Also absurd levels of HP with it being a supercharged monster of an engine, so a bit too much speed going into a corner may result in a wild ride!

Reactions: Ted
The best street car for a track day is something like a Dodge Challenger rented from Avis. Be sure to get the collision damage waiver.

If you insist on owning something, though, this would be a blast: https://www.streetlegalracecar.com/ . It'd be worth it just to see the looks on everyone's faces when you drive it through the gate.

If I were looking for a fun daily driver to take to track events, I'd go with a decent used Miata without thinking much more about it. Fun to drive, cheap to maintain, lots of aftermarket stuff available, fast in the hands of a good driver. And if you ever decide to go beyond track events and start racing, a Miata can be built into a competitive SCCA IT car and find lots of competition.

Reactions: Ted
The best street car for a track day is something like a Dodge Challenger rented from Avis. Be sure to get the collision damage waiver.

If you insist on owning something, though, this would be a blast: https://www.streetlegalracecar.com/ . It'd be worth it just to see the looks on everyone's faces when you drive it through the gate.

If I were looking for a fun daily driver to take to track events, I'd go with a decent used Miata without thinking much more about it. Fun to drive, cheap to maintain, lots of aftermarket stuff available, fast in the hands of a good driver. And if you ever decide to go beyond track events and start racing, a Miata can be built into a competitive SCCA IT car and find lots of competition.

The Ariel Atom is a fun option if you want a street-legal open-wheel car, don't think it makes a great daily driver though! They can be had used for $35K on up depending on the options.

2007_ariel_atom_2_16316022255d565ef66e7dff2007_ariel_atom_2_1631602224cd208496ce77bcc-ca2a-4614-8d85-117819310647-2Ix2Jr-scaled.jpg

Factory Five has some cool stuff, too, that isn't a Cobra Replicar like what @Ted is building. Slightly more daily-drivable, but not going to be pleasant and I doubt it meets the tool-carrying specs, lol.

Factory Five GTM

gtm-overview.jpg

You did not say the budget. This is the best option I can think of.

No mention of RS6 Avant?

Joking aside, I've driven most of the options here, and tracked about half.

GTI is really the first thing coming to mind. It's a great daily and a fun track car, easy on tires, and will survive a long time. The Golf R is a little too wound up for my taste.

Personally, I'll always advocate for a Miata with a trailer hitch, but it's only really a "second-vehicle" solution, IMO.

... f you insist on owning something, though, this would be a blast: https://www.streetlegalracecar.com/ . It'd be worth it just to see the looks on everyone's faces when you drive it through the gate. ...
One of the guys in SCCA autocrossed a 13B powered Ralt RT-5 which looked similar to that. I always wanted to drive an Ariel Atom, never got the chance. But I did own a Panoz AIV Roadster, which was a super fun autocross car. It was classed in A Mod with the shifter karts. Another guy built a Factory Five Cobra replica which was similar to the Panoz in size, power, weight and handling. He and I were the only 2 cars in A mod that drove to events under their own power - street legal, not trailered.

Pinging @SkyChaser to tell her shopping cart adventure stories.

I often end up taking the Miata to the grocery store to do my weekly shop, and very rarely do I have to put anything into the passenger compartment. I have had many unbelieving stares as I stroll up to the car with my loaded cart, though, and I even had a gentleman and his son come over and ask if they could watch me put all that in the trunk one day. They were amazed at how easily it all fit. Y'know, if y'all can wait until after I go grocery shopping tomorrow, I can even show pictures of how many groceries can fit in that little-looking trunk. :D

Factory Five has some cool stuff, too, that isn't a Cobra Replicar like what @Ted is building. Slightly more daily-drivable, but not going to be pleasant and I doubt it meets the tool-carrying specs, lol.

Factory Five GTM

gtm-overview.jpg

The Type 65 coupe would be a far more practical daily driver than a GTM. I’ll drive the Cobra as much as I can, but it really is not a very practical street car.

I often end up taking the Miata to the grocery store to do my weekly shop, and very rarely do I have to put anything into the passenger compartment. I have had many unbelieving stares as I stroll up to the car with my loaded cart, though, and I even had a gentleman and his son come over and ask if they could watch me put all that in the trunk one day. They were amazed at how easily it all fit. Y'know, if y'all can wait until after I go grocery shopping tomorrow, I can even show pictures of how many groceries can fit in that little-looking trunk. :D

Plus, there is bonus space if you leave the spare at home...

So far so good on flats.

The Type 65 coupe would be a far more practical daily driver than a GTM. I’ll drive the Cobra as much as I can, but it really is not a very practical street car.

The benefit of the Cobra is that you don't have to contort yourself into uncomfortable positions to get in/out. The GTM and Type 65 are both going to be less-than-pleasant to daily drive. Just like most Ferraris I've been in.

Just remember whenever considering using your daily driver on the track. A track is considered off road and damage is typically not covered by your every day insurance policy.

No mention of RS6 Avant?

I probably would have suggested looking at an Audi if the manual transmission option was still available.

I just went through pretty much the same exercise the OP is going through. I ended up ordering a WRX, as a budget, all weather car with a manual transmission was the primary goal. It will occasionally get tracked and autocrossed but I have a purpose built car to do most of that stuff. Yes, there are probably better options but the WRX seemed to offer the most performance for the price.

The benefit of the Cobra is that you don't have to contort yourself into uncomfortable positions to get in/out. The GTM and Type 65 are both going to be less-than-pleasant to daily drive. Just like most Ferraris I've been in.

This is true. The Cobra is really quite easy to get in and out of. Like I said I’ll drive it as much as I can, but to be honest it’s about as practical as riding a motorcycle for daily transport, maybe less depending on your various preferences.

Just remember whenever considering using your daily driver on the track. A track is considered off road and damage is typically not covered by your every day insurance policy.

Track day insurance is offered and remarkably reasonable when you consider the total investment of taking your car to the track. I don’t pay for it because I’m running a 40 year old RX7 that was certified pre-dented, but if I ran an expensive car I would.

Over 20 years ago when I was active in SCCA, the corvettes were fast but the owners had to replace differentials more than one would expect.

Back then, in SCCA autocross super stock, corvettes dominated at the local level but RX-7s (3rd gen twin turbo) dominated at nationals. That suggests the corvettes were easier to drive, which can be more fun. The RX-7 was light and quick but its non-linear engine and twitchy handling amplified every mistake and made it diabolically difficult to drive at the limits. I still loved mine though, what a great car.

Which is why there are very few mishaps on the track. But an amazing number within a mile or two of the track due to dodging local deer. :D

I probably would have suggested looking at an Audi if the manual transmission option was still available.

I just went through pretty much the same exercise the OP is going through. I ended up ordering a WRX, as a budget, all weather car with a manual transmission was the primary goal. It will occasionally get tracked and autocrossed but I have a purpose built car to do most of that stuff. Yes, there are probably better options but the WRX seemed to offer the most performance for the price.

Just check the oil often and do not run it the slightest bit low.

One weekend at the track there were at least 2 WRXs that blew engines.

Just check the oil often and do not run it the slightest bit low.

One weekend at the track there were at least 2 WRXs that blew engines.

Spun bearings are somewhat of a Subaru hallmark. I’ve had pretty good luck with them in the past but this will be the first FA powered car I will have owned. I think owner/operator habits are a large contributor to their longevity.

I did that three times, though I used Budget. The first time I got a 2.3 turbo Mustang, with it's OE tires still on it. It was a very nice car, maybe a touch loose with the sport setting activated, and an enjoyable ride overall. I do think the 10 speed automatic shifted too much on the street. Second time I got a 6 cylinder Camaro. That's not the greatest car to live with day to day, outward visibility is compromised, and the trunk access is bad, there's plenty of room but a small decklid. On the track, it was a honey, the V-6 sings sweetly at 6500 RPM, and the 8 speed keeps it in the power band. The chassis felt planted and predictable, and was confidence inspiring. Both of those were at Atlanta Motorsports Park, which is more of a motorsports country club than a racing facility. It's quite technical, lots of elevation changes and interesting turns.

Third time I flew to Palm Beach to drive at the now defunct Palm Beach International Raceway, to join my sister in her first track day. I rented a Mustang from Budget, this one was a Mustang GT. The OE rear tires had been replaced with some no name far eastern made tires that didn't work well at all. All I could do was go through the apex o a turn at very low power, get it pointed in the right direction, and romp on the throttle for a little while, then get all over the brakes to get the car slowed. It was not really fun at all. I'd much rather have my own car where I know I have good tires and that the brakes will survive the evening. I also get to drive the same car event after event, and get to know it better every time I go out.

I have to disagree with you on this one.

Audi: Sport Quattro (if money is meaningless), RS2 or RS6 if money holds some meaning.

I'm not a track pro by any stretch of the imagination, but I've tracked a Focus ST, a C7 Corvette I owned a few years ago, a CTS-V wagon, and my Dodge Viper ('08, 4th gen). The Focus ST was by far the most fun on the track. Very stable, corned nicely, decent acceleration. At that time, a buddy ran with me in his C6 Z06. I caught him in nearly every corner (though he left me in the dust in the straights). Of the high-horsepower cars, the CTS-V is the tamest (at 560hp), but that's not saying much. My Vette was a base automatic Stingray and it struggled with transmission temp. It also felt very sketchy in corners (though much of that is likely my inexperience).

The Viper is absolutely terrifying to drive on the track (and, really, on the road). It's 600hp and just a raw, analog car. It 100% wants to kill you at every opportunity. Even the tiniest of mistakes will result in it swapping ends. But it's hard to beat the feeling (and sound) of getting it pointed in the right direction in a straight and stomping it. It also handles chicanes very well, but hard corners are not for the faint of heart (or inexperience), so I take it pretty easy.

But I'm similarly casually shopping for a new DD that I can track. I want something with reasonable hauling space (need to put my 120lb Neapolitan Mastiff in the back). Budget is $30-40k. I've narrowed my shopping list to the Golf R (AWD, reasonable power, hatch, well-appointed), a Civic Type R (hatch, reasonable space) and a GR Corolla (hard to find, probably/definitely above budget). I'll likely end up with a Golf R, since the AWD makes it a little more winter friendly.

Keep in mind that as the car gets more expensive, the desire/need for track day insurance rises. I can tell you that track day insurance on my Viper runs about $400 per event on an $80k value. So it's not inconsequential on a per-track-day basis.

I'm gonna get some crap for this, but here goes.

Tesla Model S Plaid. Or if that's too expensive, a Model 3 performance, though if you really need the hatchback, a Model Y performance will do. 1.99, 3.1, or 3.5 second 0-60 times, respectively.

All of the above have "track mode" which does some cool performance and fun enhancing stuff. (That article talks about the Model 3 Performance, but Track Mode is now available on the Y Performance and Plaid S as well.) They've now got a new version of Track Mode that also has lateral and longitudinal G meters, video and telemetry logging, lap timers, and some more manual control.

People think of Teslas as one-trick ponies that just accelerate quickly, but what I didn't appreciate until I owned one is that they corner like crazy too, due to the CG being about six inches off the ground. I can whip mine around traffic circles at 40+ mph with no body roll. All of the cool stuff they do with track mode like torque vectoring is icing on the cake.

If you want to make noise, get one of the many other good recommendations in this thread. If you want some extreme fun in something that also makes a fine grocery-getter (or tool carrier), get one of the performance Teslas.

I'm gonna get some crap for this, but here goes.

Tesla Model S Plaid. Or if that's too expensive, a Model 3 performance, though if you really need the hatchback, a Model Y performance will do. 1.99, 3.1, or 3.5 second 0-60 times, respectively.

All of the above have "track mode" which does some cool performance and fun enhancing stuff. (That article talks about the Model 3 Performance, but Track Mode is now available on the Y Performance and Plaid S as well.) They've now got a new version of Track Mode that also has lateral and longitudinal G meters, video and telemetry logging, lap timers, and some more manual control.

People think of Teslas as one-trick ponies that just accelerate quickly, but what I didn't appreciate until I owned one is that they corner like crazy too, due to the CG being about six inches off the ground. I can whip mine around traffic circles at 40+ mph with no body roll. All of the cool stuff they do with track mode like torque vectoring is icing on the cake.

If you want to make noise, get one of the many other good recommendations in this thread. If you want some extreme fun in something that also makes a fine grocery-getter (or tool carrier), get one of the performance Teslas.

How many 20min sessions can you get out of a full charge (and have enough to get to a Supercharger)?

The grocery-hauler Miata:
View attachment 117817
And all in:
View attachment 117818

As you can see, there's even a little space in the back that went unused! :D

Ha. To be clear, my wife daily-drove an N-B for several years (and winters!). Similar experiences, but I'm hesitant to recommend one as a primary daily unless (like we did) you have access to something else, in our case an Impreza wagon.

Back