An aviation/tractor related rant

View attachment 117738

Uh, like this? No sweat. Ya ya, I know, it’s a Douglas, not a Piper, what ev…

View attachment 117737

I guess they ran out of swing tail DC 6s.??

DC-6A.jpg

Ha. Used to run cat tractors with the guy I used to be partners with. The c9 engines were okay, although the huei system gave occasional trouble. Had a c13 that I really liked. Then we got a combine with a c9.3, and that pos was so much trouble that it broke up our partnership. Also the source of my fear of dpf systems.

I have a Deere dealer and a cih dealer that I like and am local to. I run a Deere 4WD and a CaseIH FWA. My requirements for the new one were 1)40 PTO HP 2)hydrostatic transmission 3) loader 4)F&R SCV's,and 5)small enough that it can be started and the pto operated from the ground. The cih dealer stocks and sells a crap-ton of Kubotas, but I have not seen a single red "Farmall" there in a decade, which says a lot to me. So it was basically down to green vs. orange. Kubota uses a weird "treadle" type control on their hydrostat tractors, which is probably fine if you're 5'2", but there's no way I could've lived with it. I'm not certain if any other brand make a tractor that size, or even where I would buy one locally. I also know that my JD dealer would be able to come up with a loaner if this things goes down during harvest.

Tri-County; Fenton location

I'm not sure about the Uber/taxi situation in Fenton, but I have my doubts. And the salesman didn't offer any advice either....

I definitely could've flown into Flint and used the courtesy car, but after the initial exchange, I had little desire to go to the extra effort, nor pay the landing fees.

9G2

When I bought my 4WD tractor, the dealer picked me up, drove me to the farm where the tractor was located, drove me to the dealership to sign the papers, and drove me to a restaurant and bought me lunch. Then I flew home and the tractor showed up at my door (about 350mi) on his semi 2 days later. I thought an 8 mile ride across town was a small ask.

Anyway, signed papers on a new 4052M, loader, grapple, and tiller this afternoon. They will deliver it. Hopefully next week, but they'll have to put the SCV's on it as Deere ships them without.

@eman1200 I got "free" hats for all the kids....

View attachment 117736

I’ve dealt with Tri-County before but only the Lapeer location, and they were great. I bet the Fenton location is mostly lawn mower sales, as that area used to be farm land but now is suburbia from urban sprawl.
As far as 9G2…it’s a failed air park and not much else. Maybe they would have picked you up if you had said Bishop instead.

I’ve dealt with Tri-County before but only the Lapeer location, and they were great. I bet the Fenton location is mostly lawn mower sales, as that area used to be farm land but now is suburbia from urban sprawl.
As far as 9G2…it’s a failed air park and not much else. Maybe they would have picked you up if you had said Bishop instead.
I’m with Jim.

If the salesman wanted the sale, he could have given multiple suggestions to assist, other than “no”.

Pizz poor lazy attitude. He didn’t deserve Jim’s money.

Friend of mine walked into a car dealership with cash in pocket. Asked the salesman if he could sell him a car. Salesman said "Yes, I can sell you a car". Friend then told him what he was willing to pay, and showed him the cash. Salesman said, "let me ask my boss". Friend turned and walked out. Apparently salesman could not sell a car.

Friend of mine walked into a car dealership with cash in pocket. Asked the salesman if he could sell him a car. Salesman said "Yes, I can sell you a car". Friend then told him what he was willing to pay, and showed him the cash. Salesman said, "let me ask my boss". Friend turned and walked out. Apparently salesman could not sell a car.
They probably had to contact law enforcement…only criminals use cash. :rolleyes:

Friday after work, high school friends dad walked into the Ford dealer in Silver Spring, MD. His wife had wrecked his car coming to pick him up at work.

He wanted a plain business coupe, and they had a grey one, he drove it, and liked it.

He negotiated a price, and said I will take it, took out his check book and filled out the total.

What color do you want, that is our demonstrator, not for sale, we will order one for you. Any way, we do not take large checks after the banks close.

His dad asked for the manager, he called the Riggs bank, and by chance, a manager was still there finishing paperwork. When asked if the account had sufficient funds to pay cash for a new car? Manager asked what kind of cars do you sell? Fords. You do not sell any car that would bounce a check on that account.

They finished the paperwork, and he drove the car home with the dealers tags still on it.

The wife's car was a Packard station wagon which cost more than twice what the Ford cost. My friend drove a Packard 2 door, which he bought with a stack of dividend checks from the stock he received every birthday and Christmas since he was able to read. That was his graduation present to himself. That years worth of checks came to within less than $3oo of the price of the car. I drove him to the dealers to pick up his car, and watched the salesmans face as the pile of checks was presented, then watched him add them up.

They were accustomed to paying cash for whatever they needed.

Ha. The Cat branded (not manufactured) tractors are few and far between. Jim would have to say why. We haven't been in ag in a long time.

Man.. I used to know the story. IIRC, AgCo bought the Cat tractor line ('Challenger'), but as a part of the deal, Cat had to agree to stay out of ag equipment and AgCo had to agree to stay out of construction equipment for at least some period of time. Shortly thereafter, Cat engines showed up in other AgCo equipment (TerraGator/RoGator), displacing JD engines in that equipment line. I think today they're running the AgCo engines in those products now. I think Challenger has been folded into the global Fendt line now. ...maybe.

NICE! So does your wife like her new convertible?
;)
Well I convinced her to hop on it and drive it around a bit. She was kind of blown away how easy it is to drive with the hydrostat. It has a feature that automatically increases the engine rpm as you push the pedal which makes it even simpler. She said she was looking forward to using the tiller. One pass with that ludicrous thing will just about do the whole garden lol.

You should paint it a different color. Green is only good for universities and money.

Well I convinced her to hop on it and drive it around a bit. She was kind of blown away how easy it is to drive with the hydrostat. It has a feature that automatically increases the engine rpm as you push the pedal which makes it even simpler. She said she was looking forward to using the tiller. One pass with that ludicrous thing will just about do the whole garden lol.

Don't tell my wife, or I'll be returning the Cub and going in debt! :D

Don't tell my wife, or I'll be returning the Cub and going in debt! :D
They have 0% financing on them; they're basically paying you to take it :p

BTW, Jim, I hope you emailed that pic to the dealership that wouldn't give you a ride from the airport.
I should...I just looked, and they still have it listed for sale.

I worked in a dealership in college. Manager had to approve all deals, even at full list price. Salesman should have explained.

Epilogue:
I got a call from my salesman a week ago... turns out the dealership group was running a promotion that he forgot to tell me about. Anyone who bought a new 1-4 series tractor was entered into a drawing for a Liberty gun safe. Guess who's name got pulled? :biggrin:

IMG_20230717_141240218_HDR_compress45.jpg

I've been using the crap out of the little thing. It's way handier than I expected and has been a real lifesaver during this moving process. Everything I own is currently on pallets. Between that and cleaning up the downed trees from the big storms a couple weeks ago, I've got 50 hours on it already.

Epilogue:
I got a call from my salesman a week ago... turns out the dealership group was running a promotion that he forgot to tell me about. Anyone who bought a new 1-4 series tractor was entered into a drawing for a Liberty gun safe. Guess who's name got pulled? :biggrin:

View attachment 119085

I've been using the crap out of the little thing. It's way handier than I expected and has been a real lifesaver during this moving process. Everything I own is currently on pallets. Between that and cleaning up the downed trees from the big storms a couple weeks ago, I've got 50 hours on it already.

Very nice!! Did the safe come pre-filled? :)

Very nice!! Did the safe come pre-filled? :)
Ha...if only. Honestly I'd just as soon of had the cash. Now I have to decide if I want to move it to the basement (and bring my older one back up) or just sell it. It's much nicer looking than my older one, but probably slightly less secure. If I keep it, I know I'll fill it, and I don't shoot enough any more to justify the collection I already have. I've actually been seriously considering selling them all off so I don't have to deal with moving them again.

Got any Parker, LC Smith, or Ithaca SxS shotguns?
No, I actually don't own a sxs. A realization which makes me want one :biggrin:

I did have an Ithaca 37 at one time, but sold it for a reason I don't recall. I think maybe I bought it to cut it down and decided it was too nice to do that to it.

No, I actually don't own a sxs.

That’s sad.

A realization which makes me want one :biggrin:

That’s a happy thought that holds promise.

If you start shopping, be aware that Smiths can be a bit delicate. They’re my favorite by far, but the sidelocks which I love weaken the wrist of the stock. Powerful modern ammo causes cracking at the back of the point of the lock. They can be pinned and glassed (there’s an excellent gunsmith in Ellijay, Ga who did mine), and then just use light loads. No high brass and especially no magnums.

Parkers are very solid.

Last edited:
Speaking of guns, I have a 32 revolver that says Winchester. Did Winchester ever make such a thing.??

Speaking of guns, I have a 32 revolver that says Winchester. Did Winchester ever make such a thing.??

Yes, they did. They made a .32-20 in the late 1800s.

Ever hear the Robert Johnson blues tune, “32-20 Blues?”

F I send for my baby, and she don't come
'F I send for my baby, man, and she don't come
All the doctors in Hot Springs sure can't help her none

And if she gets unruly, thinks she don't wan' do
And if she gets unruly and thinks she don't wan' do
Take my .32-20, now, and cut her half in two

She got a .38 special but I believe it's most too light
She got a .38 special but I believe it's most too light
I got a .32-20, got to make the caps alright

Back