VFR Sectional - What is this symbol?

mandm

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Michael
IMG_1100.jpeg

Anyone know what the symbol in the red circle means?

Exposed rocks, breaking waves. Good landmarks when the visibility is bad, and you have arrived at unknown part of Beaver Island and High Island.

"beaver island"...................

First thought: Gentlemen, kind of sophomoric to be snickering at this name. How old are we?

Honest First Thought: Hah hah! Sounds like the name of a 1980's after hours Showtime movie that I couldn't watch because I was too cheap to pay for a premium channel. And if I did pay for it I would be up all night watching movies I shouldn't......

Last edited:
First thought: Gentlemen, kind of sophomoric to be snickering at this name. How old are we?
Honest First Thought: Hah hah! Sounds like the name of a 1980's after hours Showtime movie that I couldn't watch because I was too cheap to pay for a premium channel. And if I did pay for it I would be up all night watching movies I shouldn't......

I won't tell you what you will see on I-75 between Madison Heights and Pontiac, Michigan.

But, you can go ahead and street view it:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.559...WGtsyNxyNyMmVn7A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

This thread triggered a memory of when I was a kid and my older brother had to explain to me a "Save the Woods. Eat a beaver" t-shirt :)

When I was in high school, my best friend bussed tables at Old Hickory House BBQ. The servers all wore T-shirts with the company motto: "put some south in your mouth." He got fired for wearing a T shirt that just said "South" with an arrow pointing down.

I looked it up on the FAA web site. It also has other symbols for soft and hard terrain in case of a need to land. It also comes in hand when talking to ATC, because you can give your location as ...........

between a rock and a hard place.............. :cool:

Back