Indian Head Flying Club - 2W5

Anthony LoCurto

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
"Doc" LoCurto
Is anyone familiar with the Indian Head Flying Club based out of 2W5 (Maryland Airport)? I contacted the FBO and he told me about them but I can't find any contact info. I am interested in joining a club and 2W5 would be a nice option for me. Manassas is a bit far from where I live but doable if that is the only option.

Check with Freestate Flying Club at College park; Cessna 172 and 177. . .IFR, APs, modern avionics. Buy in, equity club you own a piece. Very well run, been around since the 60's, started as a NASA (Goddard just up the road) employee club, if I recall. Metro across the street. Rules are optimized for travel versus training. Rates are wet, and kept as close as possible to covering costs and a rational reserve.

I was a member until relocating to NC. The site says the 177 is "coming soon" but my understanding is it's already there and flying. You'll need a "pin" number to operate out of the FRZ around DC, but it's not a big lift to get one anymore.

https://www.freestateflyingclub.com/

Freestate began as an IBM club, formed by the guys working out of an office on Kenilworth Ave. IBM stands for I Been Moved. The club was only 3 months old when the first member was moved out of state, and the first non IBM member replaced him. 15 years later, there were no IBM employees in the club. Fortunately, they had not named the club The IBM Flying Club.

I agree with Sundancer, a well run club, and the two planes are well maintained and well equipped. I am a little prejudiced, I have been a member since 1969. Also the first non IBM member :).

The 177 is present, and flying a lot, great plane.

Back