Advice for flying to Los Angeles

iamtheari

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Ari
I am considering flying to LA to see a movie. I know that sounds crazy, but it’s only 1,000 miles away and it’s a movie I’ve only seen three times. It’s showing at the Chinese Theatre in late June, on a Monday evening if that makes a difference. I’ll tell the rest of the story some other time.

I’m here to ask for advice for flying into LA. Which airport makes the most sense to get to that part of town, what arrival routes are best for VFR and for IFR from generally the northeast, if I should just go IFR to make it easier, where it’s safe and not insane to stay for a couple nights in a hotel, whether to do anything specific for ground transportation, etc.

Or is this too insane an idea to even get off the ground?

Thanks in advance!

I can’t help except with the insane part. It’s a cool idea. Send it.

'tis a cool idea, but...

We were last in LA many years ago. We had free tix to a taping of a new TV show. That ended right around 6, not yet dark but the tourists had mostly vanished to be replaced by rough looking residents. Yes, that WAS many years ago but I suspect Hollywood hasn't gotten better since. That was not a neighborhood I would want to be after dark. Caution.

Van Nuys will probably be your best bet.

https://www.airnav.com/airport/KVNY

Or my home airport KCMA, and rent a car... and get a hotel right on the ocean

While there, treat yourself to

https://yamashirohollywood.com/

'tis a cool idea, but...

We were last in LA many years ago. We had free tix to a taping of a new TV show. That ended right around 6, not yet dark but the tourists had mostly vanished to be replaced by rough-looking residents. Yes, that WAS many years ago but I suspect Hollywood hasn't gotten better since. That was not a neighborhood I would want to be in after dark. Caution.

Not as bad as it was in the 80's but still exercise caution.

Last edited:
Santa Monica. It's closing in 2028, so I think it'd be a cool airport to have in your logbook.

Oh, and props forward early, coupled with a high drag, high power approach. ;)

I am considering flying to LA to see a movie. I know that sounds crazy, but it’s only 1,000 miles away and it’s a movie I’ve only seen three times. It’s showing at the Chinese Theatre in late June, on a Monday evening if that makes a difference. I’ll tell the rest of the story some other time.

I’m here to ask for advice for flying into LA. Which airport makes the most sense to get to that part of town, what arrival routes are best for VFR and for IFR from generally the northeast, if I should just go IFR to make it easier, where it’s safe and not insane to stay for a couple nights in a hotel, whether to do anything specific for ground transportation, etc.

Or is this too insane an idea to even get off the ground?

Thanks in advance!
Is it King Kong? Dude, ya gotta get The Monkey and take him with you…

I landed at El Monte (KEMT) and rented a car. Arrived and left under VFR FF. Everything was easy.

What’s the movie?
The movie is called End of the Rope and was selected for the Dances With Films festival this summer. I have a personal connection with the film and think it would be cool to see it in such a special venue. The personal connection also involves aviation, so flying myself there makes sense. (Not to mention saves time. The best airline route is 1 hour driving, 1 hour security/parking, 6:14 a.m. takeoff, and 6-1/2 hours to get to LAX if I sprint through MSP or 9-1/2 hours en route if I have time for breakfast during the layover.)

So far, the suggestions are:

KSMO. Pros: Cool airport on the coast, probably the last chance I'll have to see it. Cons: Farther from key destination on the ground
KVNY. Pros: Starred in a movie of its own. Cons: Not the closest option. Too many FBOs to choose from, I'm already confused.
KBUR. Pros: Closest to the destination. Cons: Its only pro isn't very exciting. Highest gas prices.
KEMT. Pros: Minimal complex airspace shenanigans. Cons: Looks like it's farther from the destination.

With that information, the points leaders for me are KSMO and KVNY. But more study is in order.

BUR for sure!

BUR has easy access from the northeast VFR or IFR and closest to the theater. You avoid the class bravo. You pay more for the convenience though...

SMO would be cool but could be very overcast and traffic to the theater will be heavy anytime of the day.

EMT easy class delta but too far away, another traffic nightmare.

Low overcast pretty much all of May in the LA basin requiring IFR to even get into the area. Hopefully June will be better!

VNY is the most GA friendly option in my opinion, especially if you’re in a piston but would also recommend NOT staying at a hotel near the airport. SMO is there but there’s a landing fee that’s auto billed and the invoice is mailed to you. For whatever reason, the fee is not disclosed ahead of time so no idea what it could be. Never tried BUR have also never had a reason to.

Wherever you go, renting a car is also the best option. Almost impossible to get around without a car.

You really only have 2 ways to arrive into LA area from the northeast. Either from the Newhall Pass, north of VNY or the Cajon pass north of ONT. IFR or VFR is your preference. SoCal controllers are great all around. But depending on your arrival time of day, we get a lot of low cloud coverage during the mornings and early evenings throughout June that may or may not burn off in the afternoon hours. Depending on you eta, IFR could be your only option.

Last edited:
If you are thinking of Van Nuys look at Whitman,. it's right next door but doesn't have the jet traffic. If I were you I would land at SMO and just throw away the dumb landing fee bill they mail to you. Also feel free to skip out on the transient fees too! (I am based at SMO) there is nothing they can do to you. If you rent a car or just use uber the prices will be the same no matter where you go. Also the hotels closer to hollywood might be a little cheaper.

A more budget-friendly yet still good option for you is Whiteman (KWHP). Easy flying in from the northeast thru the Newhall Pass. Airspace is fairly straightforward. For late June, IFR (or marginal VFR) is a possibility if arriving in the morning. Transient parking is cheap and gas is reasonable. Plus you don’t deal with all the jet traffic into VNY and BUR. From there you can Uber to Hollywood in 25 minutes (unless you catch the morning rush hour).

If you plan to rent a car, then BUR would be easier…you can get your car right at the airport.

Area where the Chinese theater is located is super touristy and perfectly safe. Sure you’ll see some oddballs walking around but that’s par for the course here :) Roosevelt hotel is right across the street. Beautiful hotel. Loews Hollywood hotel is super close as well. Multiple other hotels in easy walking distance. Tons of bars/restaurants in the area…some much better than others. If you don’t plan to explore much beyond Hollywood area, Uber would probably be most hassle-free best option. If you want to also explore other areas, renting a car might make more sense. I live nearby and and know the area well.

While landing at SMO might cost more and add travel time to your final destination, if you're flying 1,000 miles to see a movie, what's a couple hundred more bucks?

It's a hugely historical airport that's going to be gone soon. Make it part of your trip's memories.

You can get a rail tour of much of LA and skip the traffic altogether -- land at HHR, hop onto the green (C) line metro rail which is just across the street, transfer to blue (A) line, then red (B) line to hollywood and highland. Day pass for the LA metro is $3.50. No car needed for this mission and plenty to look at on the ride. :)

You can get a rail tour of much of LA and skip the traffic altogether -- land at HHR, hop onto the green (C) line metro rail which is just across the street, transfer to blue (A) line, then red (B) line to hollywood and highland. Day pass for the LA metro is $3.50. No car needed for this mission and plenty to look at on the ride. :)
That’s a great idea. Could be tedious if it goes IFR though. They give dinks clearances there like ‘time is today, expect clearance tomorrow.’

Doesn't sound crazy at all. In college, once flew from central Iowa to Chicago to see 'Apocalypse Now - Redux' in theater. 20+ years later, I'm still not 100% sure what I saw...

Light rail scares me. 5 years ago, I would have ridden the light rail in Minneapolis wearing a tuxedo at night without feeling too conspicuous for my own health. But the last time I rode, a guy (to his credit, the only person on the train other than me and the driver who wasn’t actively involved in a methamphetamine transaction at the time) asked if I had a knife sharpener because he hates having a dull knife. And that was on the way to lunch. Where does the LA mass transit system line up on the safety spectrum? Not that this is a penny-pinching expedition, and I’ve always thought of LA as a theme park you need a car to explore. I’m hoping we don’t have too much mission scope creep with his being my wife’s first trip to California, but inevitably we will end up leaving the movie theatre-to-airport direct line a little bit. So getting around on the ground will be a consideration during our visit. But I probably have to draw the line at Disney Land and friends.

Light rail scares me. 5 years ago, I would have ridden the light rail in Minneapolis wearing a tuxedo at night without feeling too conspicuous for my own health. But the last time I rode, a guy (to his credit, the only person on the train other than me and the driver who wasn’t actively involved in a methamphetamine transaction at the time) asked if I had a knife sharpener because he hates having a dull knife. And that was on the way to lunch. Where does the LA mass transit system line up on the safety spectrum? Not that this is a penny-pinching expedition, and I’ve always thought of LA as a theme park you need a car to explore. I’m hoping we don’t have too much mission scope creep with his being my wife’s first trip to California, but inevitably we will end up leaving the movie theatre-to-airport direct line a little bit. So getting around on the ground will be a consideration during our visit. But I probably have to draw the line at Disney Land and friends.
So you're gonna hang out for awhile. Do you like music? Might I suggest The Hollywood Bowl. https://www.hollywoodbowl.com/events/performances?Venue=Hollywood+Bowl&Season=null

Bur is very ga friendly, Had the tower compliment the 58’ 172 I was renting at the time. Atlantic was very good too

So you're gonna hang out for awhile. Do you like music? Might I suggest The Hollywood Bowl. https://www.hollywoodbowl.com/events/performances?Venue=Hollywood+Bowl&Season=null
Thanks for the tip. It’s a good idea, but it won’t work out on this trip. We’re traveling for two concerts already this year and nothing within a few days of the movie have anything interesting at Hollywood Bowl. Next time!

I’m thinking we will fly in on Friday evening or Saturday mid-day, explore Saturday through Monday, go to the movie Monday evening, and fly home Tuesday.

I would probably avoid taking the red line these days…especially at night. I’ve ridden it multiple times from downtown to Hollywood/highland but in the past couple of years it has declined. Increased “crazy person” contingent has made it less desirable if other options exist.

Thanks for the tip. It’s a good idea, but it won’t work out on this trip. We’re traveling for two concerts already this year and nothing within a few days of the movie have anything interesting at Hollywood Bowl. Next time!

I’m thinking we will fly in on Friday evening or Saturday mid-day, explore Saturday through Monday, go to the movie Monday evening, and fly home Tuesday.
I have added 'does not like snoop dog' to your dossier

Since you're planning on spending a few days in the area, I would plan to use SMO. Not as close as BUR or VNY, but more options to explore and a more friendly airport (for now) to GA. They do have a landing fee, which isn't too high though. Hop over to Camarillo for breakfast on your way out of town.

I have added 'does not like snoop dog' to your dossier
Maybe I wasn’t interested in that particular concert because I am tired of people asking me for weed and rhymes (two things I’ve never had) because of how closely I resemble Snoop. :)

Since you're planning on spending a few days in the area, I would plan to use SMO. Not as close as BUR or VNY, but more options to explore and a more friendly airport (for now) to GA. They do have a landing fee, which isn't too high though. Hop over to Camarillo for breakfast on your way out of town.
What does Camarillo have to offer by way of breakfast? If one were planning a quick flight somewhere in the vicinity for a farewell meal or the like, is that the best choice? Not Catalina or something crazier?

What does Camarillo have to offer by way of breakfast?

CMA has the Waypoint Cafe, which has been a bit of an institution in the region for as long as I've been flying.

CMA has the Waypoint Cafe, which has been a bit of an institution in the region for as long as I've been flying.
Yup. To really get the 'soul' of the place ya wanna do a weekend day when there's a whole flock of airplanes there. But the chow's plenty good anytime.

Maybe I wasn’t interested in that particular concert because I am tired of people asking me for weed and rhymes (two things I’ve never had) because of how closely I resemble Snoop. :)

What does Camarillo have to offer by way of breakfast? If one were planning a quick flight somewhere in the vicinity for a farewell meal or the like, is that the best choice? Not Catalina or something crazier?
Maniac Mikes at Cable KCCB. Once again, best done weekends if you want get the soul of the place.
https://www.maniac-mikes.com/
https://cableairport.stavros.agency/

What about a late lunch or early supper at one of those places? We can fly in Friday or Saturday but have to fly out on Tuesday.

I
What about a late lunch or early supper at one of those places? We can fly in Friday or Saturday but have to fly out on Tuesday.
I’ve done lunch at CMA a couple times. The place was hopping. Only done breakfast at CCB but my guess is the crowd is there through lunchtime.

with wife in tow? yeah let's go ahead and pretend I didn't suggest light rail. :eek: :D

I think it's fine and have ridden it tons, day night and wee hours -- but I have a high tolerance for shady ish. being big and tall and often looking slightly unhinged, the usual rabble tend not to disturb me.

with wife in tow? yeah let's go ahead and pretend I didn't suggest light rail. :eek: :D

I think it's fine and have ridden it tons, day night and wee hours -- but I have a high tolerance for shady ish. being big and tall and often looking slightly unhinged, the usual rabble tend not to disturb me.
If you don't know who the crazy guy is on the train ...

Don't take the light rail - unlike other cities nobody takes public transportation in socal unless there are NO other options.

Lunch at Waypoint Cafe is great. Get the tri-tip special if it's available.

Have been to all the airports listed, and would vote SMO particularly if planning to spend the weekend and explore coastal/near coastal locations. BUR is fine as well, but it's in the Valley, so IMHO much less to do that is "LA" on a weekend. For example, a couple weeks ago we went to SMO, walked with the dog to the beach, enjoyed the shore and lunch, and walked back to the airport. Obviously a whole weekend would range further afield and require at least some Ubers.

SMO landing fee comes in the mail and is on the order of $10. Same company and about the same price as TEB on the other coast.

Back