Sport vs private

FutureFly

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
FutureFly
Possibly thinking or going for commercial license eventually. Have 2 hours so far. Still waiting for cami to review my medical to issue me a letter to take medical flight test. Would it make sense financially and time wise to go for sport pilot license in the mean time then transition to private? Yes one will need the hours for license and will only make one a better pilot the more you fly, but paying for sport then after achieving going for private. Does it only add to cost in an indirect pathway?

Really only adds cost, directly.

If getting a medical is inevitable, but timing unknown, skip light sport.

If you’re unsure of medical… different story.

According to AME during exam, he’s sure I’ll pass. Just will have the medical flight test and unknown time frame to get that letter for said test.

All hours for SP training count toward PP if you get the SP ticket. The only additional cost is the SP written exam and the SP checkride.

is there a question about the medical?

Did you get a 3rd or 2nd class medical eval?

I think one can save themselves a lot of heartache and money if they go ahead & test for the medical they will eventually need. I wouldn't want to be on a 12-month treadmill that comes with a 1st class while doing all that training, but if you get a 1st class to begin with, you at least know you qualify. A lapsed 1st class medical devolve gracefully over time to a 3rd class.

It doesn't happen as much anymore (because the demand for the courses is so strong with the pilot shortage that they don't have to), but some Part 141 programs were notorious for vacuuming up Vets and their GI Bill money, running them all the way up to ATP on a 2 or 3rd class medical, knowing full well that the candidate would never qualify for a 1st class.

if there is a roadblock, it's best to know before you waste time and money.

If the goal is commercial or ATP I wouldn’t spend the extra money for an additional knowledge test and checkride. You’re committed to seeing the medical process through at this point anyway, so even if the situation for future medicals looks bleak I’d press on with a private certificate and just do basic med after you have a medical issued.

Possibly thinking or going for commercial license eventually. Have 2 hours so far. Still waiting for cami to review my medical to issue me a letter to take medical flight test. Would it make sense financially and time wise to go for sport pilot license in the mean time then transition to private? Yes one will need the hours for license and will only make one a better pilot the more you fly, but paying for sport then after achieving going for private. Does it only add to cost in an indirect pathway?

As I see it, you have two outcomes ahead of you.
1) you get your medical (time and labor variable)
2) you get denied a medical.

If you get it, there is no reason not to be clocking time toward the Private.
If you get denied, there is no use in having clocked any time toward anything as you will not be able to exercise any privileges.

Since you have rolled the dice might as well be optimistic and get to clocking hours towards your Private. I see little benefit in having the Sport cert, plus finding places that train Private pilots is an easier prospect than one that trains Sport.

There's really only one or two scenarios where it would seem to make sense to get a SP ticket. First, you have some opportunity that would make it an attractive path -- like a friendly/cheap instructor who only does SP (this is really rare), or doesn't have an airplane that could be used for night flight. Second, you have career flying aspirations but aren't really sure, in which case you could get your SP ticket, fly while you decide (or whatever) and move on later. All of the SP instruction you received will count toward your PP training, as already mentioned. OK, there's a third thing -- you just want an actual pilot certificate, and you're OK with the extra expense of getting one you don't really need. People do it all the time; I've heard of people collecting a new rating to restart their flight review clock, even if they'll probably never use that rating.

What you cannot do is fly SP while working to get past some medical disqualification. If you've already applied, that ship has sailed. If you get denied, you're effectively screwed other than for glider and balloon flying (and ultralights, of course).

Whatever the reason, just balance it against the expense of the written and practical exam... that's a good little chunk of cash that you don't need to spend if your eventual goal is Private or higher.

If your intent is to go for commercial skip the sport .your going to need that money for the private

All hours for SP training count toward PP if you get the SP ticket. The only additional cost is the SP written exam and the SP checkride.
I think that's only the case if the instructor is a CFI. If the instructor only holds a CFI-S, then those hours do not count towards a PPL.

I think that's only the case if the instructor is a CFI. If the instructor only holds a CFI-S, then those hours do not count towards a PPL.
One of those "it depends" situations:

14 CFR 61.109(l)
(l) Permitted credit for flight training received from a flight instructor with a sport pilot rating. The holder of a sport pilot certificate may credit flight training received from a flight instructor with a sport pilot rating toward the aeronautical experience requirements of this section if the following conditions are met:

(1) The flight training was accomplished in the same category and class of aircraft for which the rating is sought;

(2) The flight instructor with a sport pilot rating was authorized to provide the flight training; and

(3) The flight training included either—

(i) Training on areas of operation that are required for both a sport pilot certificate and a private pilot certificate; or

(ii) For airplanes with a VH greater than 87 knots CAS, training on the control and maneuvering of an airplane solely by reference to the flight instruments, including straight and level flight, turns, descents, climbs, use of radio aids, and ATC directives, provided the training was received from a flight instructor with a sport pilot rating who holds an endorsement required by § 61.412(c).

One of those "it depends" situations:

14 CFR 61.109(l)
(l) Permitted credit for flight training received from a flight instructor with a sport pilot rating. The holder of a sport pilot certificate may credit flight training received from a flight instructor with a sport pilot rating toward the aeronautical experience requirements of this section if the following conditions are met:

(1) The flight training was accomplished in the same category and class of aircraft for which the rating is sought;

(2) The flight instructor with a sport pilot rating was authorized to provide the flight training; and

(3) The flight training included either—

(i) Training on areas of operation that are required for both a sport pilot certificate and a private pilot certificate; or

(ii) For airplanes with a VH greater than 87 knots CAS, training on the control and maneuvering of an airplane solely by reference to the flight instruments, including straight and level flight, turns, descents, climbs, use of radio aids, and ATC directives, provided the training was received from a flight instructor with a sport pilot rating who holds an endorsement required by § 61.412(c).
There's not too much same category and class, an authorized instructor, and a subset of private pilot requirements doesn't cover.

Back