Southwest pilot gets locked out of cockpit, climbs through window before flight

ElPaso Pilot

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
ElPaso Pilot
Almost started a “Caption This” thread.

"During the boarding process, while other Customers and Flight Attendants were onboard, a Customer opened the forward lavatory door and inadvertently pushed the Flight Deck door closed (which locked) while the Pilots scheduled to operate the flight were preparing to board the aircraft," the airline said in a statement to CNN. "One of our Pilots unlocked the door from a Flight Deck window, and the flight departed as scheduled."

https://abc7.com/southwest-san-diego-sacramento-pilot-locked-out/13307525/
1F664181-18EB-4BBD-AF63-908BCA96A23D.jpeg

Amazing what becomes “news” these days.

That’s why you ALWAYS put the curtain through the door frame when parked!!

You blame the passenger because the cockpit door was locked while it was unoccupied?

Blame, no; however he set off a chain of events that caused the door to shut. May as well make a little sport of the situation.

I'm trying to remember my time on the 737 but if the AC has power to it I wonder why they couldn't just punch in the code and ten seconds later it auto unlocks unless you deny.

One of these stuck in the wheel well could've saved a lot of embarrassment.

61y%2BdMirRPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The windows can open from the outside?

I got locked out of a 172 once.

I went through the little baggage door in the rear.

Is there actually more than 1 or 2 keys for ALL Cessnas????

I know that at one point, there were only 10 or 12 keys for Ford. There was a story about a guy coming out of the bar late, gets in "his" car and goes home. Next morning, he notices a creased fender and gets mad. Looking closer, it wasn't his car. Same year, model, color, interior, etc, plus SAME KEY.

Yes. So that CFR can get you out if you're incapacitated.

Should be able to open the door from the cabin, too. No key needed. Not sure why they couldn't use that option.
Well I need to see if there is some sort of secret way to open the Bus window from outside. If there is, it’s not obvious.

Well I need to see if there is some sort of secret way to open the Bus window from outside. If there is, it’s not obvious.
It's likely labeled with a red RESCUE sign pointing to the panel under which the release is located.

Yes. So that CFR can get you out if you're incapacitated.

Should be able to open the door from the cabin, too. No key needed. Not sure why they couldn't use that option.

This has happened before; I believe it was SWA back then too. The reasons stated before was when changing crew and an empty cockpit, and passengers potentially on the plane, you "lock" the computer. Which prevents someone from getting into the cabin and doing something nefarious. As part of the lock, cabin access to cockpit is disabled. So once that door closes, you could get in by disconnecting ground power and having the whole plane shutdown after a while (which automatically unlocks the door), or by going through the front window. The disconnect power, I think was stated was a two to three hour process, while the window should only take an hour.

Tim

The reasons stated before was when changing crew and an empty cockpit, and passengers potentially on the plane, you "lock" the computer. Which prevents someone from getting into the cabin and doing something nefarious. As part of the lock, cabin access to cockpit is disabled.
That scenario is not possible on the 737s that I fly.

Ok, I'll start a rumor. Was he ACTUALLY the pilot, or was he a friend of a pilot who was covering for him while the pilot was out golfing, and the friend didn't know the code?

Or better, the door was broken, but "cockpit door" isn't on the MEL for Southwest.

There is a lot of risk and little reward doing a stunt like that
What's the risk? It looks like the have a special rig for reaching the windows, maybe for cleaning or maintenance, or? It seems unlikely this was just a wild hair by the pilot.

Back