KRSV leveled last night

Jim K

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Digits
Robinson, IL airport was wiped out by a tornado last night. There was a popular shop on the field that several people from cmi went to for their annuals, including the club cessna I occasionally fly, which was scheduled to go in at the end of the month.

Photos from Facebook

FB_IMG_1680369425474.jpg FB_IMG_1680369417638.jpg FB_IMG_1680369409224.jpgFB_IMG_1680369839521.jpg FB_IMG_1680369828609.jpg

Anybody hurt??
It was late, like 9pm, so I don't think anyone was at the airport. I do believe there may have been a couple fatalities in town. The whole state got hit pretty hard last night. At least 3 tornadoes that hit small towns.

weather has taken out a lot of GA aircraft the last few years....

We had a tornado watch up by us. Got an alert on my phone to expect winds up to 90mph. We lucked out and got nothing.

Just had the conversation yesterday where I made the comment that it seems airports and trailer parks are tornado magnets.

That same line pelted my one month old car with hail yesterday, our first new vehicle in 30 years. I was really bumming, but then thought to myself that others would probably fare worse, a car is just a thing. So sad to be correct.

couple million dollars in claims right there, particularly on the structures side of things.

Ugh… And insurance goes up again…

Doubtful. Insurance underwriters are very aware of this risk and considers it in writing policies and calculating premiums.

I asked a buddy who's in that industry if a huge hail/tstorm at Oshkosh is the industry's biggest worry. He said no. The loss of a single airliner is a far bigger event.

Doubtful. Insurance underwriters are very aware of this risk and considers it in writing policies and calculating premiums.

I asked a buddy who's in that industry if a huge hail/tstorm at Oshkosh is the industry's biggest worry. He said no. The loss of a single airliner is a far bigger event.
Wasn't there something at sun n fun a few years ago that took out a handful?

Well sure, but I doubt it’s the equivalent of writing a policy in Oklahoma, Kansas, Florida etc., which statistically have greater odds of weather phenomena (tornado, hurricane etc). Illinois isn’t exactly high risk for this kind of stuff.

Wasn't there something at sun n fun a few years ago that took out a handful?

Yep ... 2011. I was standing at a vendors booth when it got real interesting real fast. Sad for a lotta folks. I drove in with a friend that year ...

iu

Well sure, but I doubt it’s the equivalent of writing a policy in Oklahoma, Kansas, Florida etc., which statistically have greater odds of weather phenomena (tornado, hurricane etc). Illinois isn’t exactly high risk for this kind of stuff.

Illinois averages 53 tornadoes per year and ranks fourth in the United States for the most tornadoes per square mile.

Couple more pics from FB. There were four structures at RSV, the FBO, the shop, and two T-hangar buildings:

338848016_108004602244399_4747818991751770115_n.jpg
339263678_1366958634081367_2683379899012003801_n.jpg

You know it's wicked when all that's left is the slab :(

10C699DE-DB20-4958-A949-B7CF21DD0EF7.jpeg I flew over KRSV yesterday, what a shame. It looks like it just missed the tank farm? I saw a lot of homes and farms that were damaged or gone. I could see many trees damaged, sucks so much for everyone effected by this tornado.

Attachments

• 74375FA5-F63B-4676-B60A-6CBD22DC99A1.jpeg
    74375FA5-F63B-4676-B60A-6CBD22DC99A1.jpeg
    223.3 KB · Views: 31
You know it's wicked when all that's left is the slab :(

Yeah, our plane was in a hangar at JWN (Nashville) in March of 2020 when a tornado took out 3/4's of the hangars there, including several large corporate hangars. There were multiple rows of T hangars that had nothing left but a slab, including ours. It took us a day or two to figure out where our plane even ended up, based on aerial photos.

Airliners are insured under quite different methods verses general aviation and different underwriters. The big difference being risk is generally split amongst a large pool of investors for airlines.

The reason is, an airliner crashes, LOT of claims for deaths or serious injuries. And those are BIG claims. The cost of the plane is a minor thing.

I witnessed a tornado up close April 3 1974, never forget it.
Chance of storms today.

My plane was under a open sided cover tied down in 1990 at the same airport it is at now and was hit by a tornado.
The airport manager said 41 airplanes was damaged or totaled that day. My airplane was 10 years old with 200 hrs on it and was a complete loss.
My late friend was the kind of guy who would buy and fix broken stuff. He bought the plane from the insurance company and had it fixed/repaired. The airport manager said there was only one guy who would attempt to fix it and he was that guy. I bought it from my friend with 1400 hrs on it in 2018 and have now flown it to 2400 hrs.
005.jpg

I am glad he saved it. Hopefully some of the damaged planes can be saved after this tornado?
IMG_1343.JPG

Last edited:
I flew up and borrowed the courtesy car one evening last year for dinner. I remember meeting the manager and a shop cat that resided in the maintenance hangar when I was there. I suppose it was a goner if it was still there.

Back