Citation Down Into Percy Priest Lake After Takeoff From Syrna MQY

I have not watched Dan Gryder's videos. From reading about him, he sounds like some old-timer who's incredibly full of himself, and I already deal with enough of those in my life.

That said, I'm getting the impression he's producing his "investigations" with the hope that he'll get a handful right. There are plenty of high profile crashes out their to "investigate." Do enough of them, and do enough guesswork, and you'll eventually get one or two correct. "A broken clock is right twice a day," kind of thing.

Maybe he's angling to get one of the more salacious cases picked up by a major media outlet, and make some $$.

I’m shocked you can get insurance with 1700 hours single-pilot in a jet. Probably not for much longer.

Don't know what YouTube rules are, but DG may be stretching them with parts of this latest video.

1200 CJ (700PIC/500SIC)
5000TT
I fly it Pt91 biz SP all the time, full insurance.
Of the 4 of us, I might have the most time in it, so the insurance co doesn’t seem that picky to me.

1200 CJ (700PIC/500SIC)
5000TT
I fly it Pt91 biz SP all the time, full insurance.
Of the 4 of us, I might have the most time in it, so the insurance co doesn’t seem that picky to me.

Thats a whole lot different than 1700TT and 80 in type or whatever it was lol.

Thats a whole lot different than 1700TT and 80 in type or whatever it was lol.

Ah.
When you said
“I’m shocked you can get insurance with 1700 hours single-pilot in a jet. ”
I thought you meant 1700 SP in type, now I see, sorry.

For single-pilot in a jet it is. It’s barely enough to get an unrestricted ATP.

A working pilot would NEVER EVER get insurance to fly that plane with those hours.

I had ~650 hours of airplane time when I got released to single pilot line ops in a 1900. You never know what is actually possible.

As expected, the video has been pulled.
It will likely return, with corrections and/or apologies and/or people edited out after they changed their mind about being in it. Dan is quite responsive to that.

He wants to be the alex jones of the GA Youboob "ecosystem" . He prob sends Berto and Juan B drunk messages at 2am telling them they're hacks. Wait, that's me on the YT comment section.... :D

Gryder fancies "Probable Cause" as the 60 Minutes of aviation, and his idol is Morley Safer ... exposing (more often, inventing) the evil lurking behind every aviation accident.

Gryder fancies "Probable Cause" as the 60 Minutes of aviation, and his idol is Morley Safer ... exposing (more often, inventing) the evil lurking behind every aviation accident.
It’s probable Gryder faces legal exposure with the latest video.

It’s probable Gryder faces legal exposure with the latest video.
Turns out that YT objected to an underage person being recognizable, and he has to fix it. Otherwise, he says, it will be unchanged.

He might also want to remove the implied mass shooting threat. Not sure about the legality but most folks don’t think that’s funny these days.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ntsb-pilot-error-crash-killing-224248406.html
I couldn’t find the thread here on this one to reply to. This part of the article stood out to me. How can he say he was safe but……….

“…Lardent said Lara was a safe pilot but had trouble with multitasking and with situational awareness.

“Mr. Lara could not visualize in his mind where the airplane was in time/space unless he saw it on his iPad,” according to an NTSB account of the interview…”

So he did not checkride due to Unsat performance at Flight Safety, got more training in his plane, then had a DPE check him in his plane. That’s a red flag for sure. FS has top notch instructors and programs. You fly 95% of the training in night IMC, the most challenging scenarios, to ensure you can fly that plane in all weather.

Does not understand the autopilot, and has poor IMC skills. Low IMC time. More red flags.

His copilot probably had zero experience in jets.

To me, this looks like a case of more $ than experience. He should have been flying something else or had a real copilot that could back him up.

Last edited:
Does not understand the autopilot, and has poor IMC skills. Low IMC time. More red flags.
NTSB Report: "The flight instructor stated that the pilot did not have any issues operating the accident airplane’s autopilot or the navigation systems, but he was more familiar with the Garmin 750 that was installed on another airplane he owned, a Mitsubishi MU2 (turbine twin engine airplane), than the Garmin 430/530 installed on the accident airplane."

Which would also IMPLY no panel upgrade as was asked earlier. Who in their right mind (rhetorical) would upgrade the panel from steam to glass but yet leave both the 530/430 and not upgrade at least one of them to the newer Garmin devices.

He should have been flying something else or had a real copilot that could back him up.
Agreed. Hiring an experienced professional pilot with significant time in type to fly as co-pilot would have been a proactive and smart approach. I think that is a good take-away from all of this.

imho This does appear to be a case of somebody with enough money that feels they can fly what they can afford.

img.axd

Another pilot who flew with him mentioned the pilot was confused with the AP.

It took me a while to get good at the AP use in a CE550. It isn’t complicated, but there are some things that can surprise you if you don’t fully understand it.

“The accident pilot’s logbook also revealed that he flew with another pilot on several occasions after he obtained his type rating. In an interview, this pilot stated that the accident pilot had no issues operating the accident airplane and was very thorough in using the checklist. However, he did “struggle” when operating in IMC and when using the airplane’s autopilot, which was a “...bit complicated and caused the pilot confusion.” The pilot said, the accident pilot was “weak” when it came to flying in IMC and would “struggle” with instrument approaches outside of his local flying area or if he did not receive radar vectors onto an approach. The accident pilot was very reliant on his iPad to help him understand his “time in space.”

“…Lardent said...
The article makes it sound like (Bill) Lardent was just a CFI.

He was a Seattle Center controller (pre-strike), Chief Pilot at American Eagle, pilot for Reno Air and then American Airlines, and is still a corporate and Saab 340 ferry pilot as well as a CFI.

FAA Report is finally out. Looks like the initial takes were correct. Official cause is Pilot became spatially disoriented in the cloud after departure.

"The board determined nearly two years later the pilot, Joe Lara, became disoriented while maneuvering shortly after taking off in Smyrna before crashing in Percy Priest Lake."

"The report said when the plane entered clouds while performing a climbing right turn, it began to descend. It then entered a climbing right turn followed by a left turn.
A simulation test determined Joe Lara perceived that the aircraft was nose-up rather than nose down due to acceleration.
"Throughout the whole of the flight, it was also possible that the roll angle could have felt much less extreme than it actually was," the NTSB report said.

"According to Flight Safety International, the pilot did not meet the requisite performance level to attempt a rating check ride -- seven simulator sessions for a total of 14 hours of pilot flying time. Seeking one-on-one training, an instructor said the pilot understood how to operate the plane's autopilot."

Disorientation of pilot ruled as cause in Gwen Shamblin plane crash (msn.com)

The article makes it sound like (Bill) Lardent was just a CFI.

He was a Seattle Center controller (pre-strike), Chief Pilot at American Eagle, pilot for Reno Air and then American Airlines, and is still a corporate and Saab 340 ferry pilot as well as a CFI.
Wow. He says “Mr. Lara could not visualize in his mind where the airplane was in time/space unless he saw it on his iPad…” But that’s ok, just don’t fly to the super busy airports.
“Mr. Lara wanted to fly to bigger cities like New York and Las Vegas, but Mr. Lardent told him he was not ready because those areas were congested and you ‘had to be on your game’ to operate in those fast-moving environments,"

Back