uAvionix announces its certified AV-30 magnetometer preorder

Looking forward to this too.

I hope their delivery estimate is better than they had for their Skylight to match up with the Skybeacon. Skylight is still not available after all these years.

I hope their delivery estimate is better than they had for their Skylight to match up with the Skybeacon. Skylight is still not available after all these years.

I was at OSH last summer and stopped by the uAvionix booth to get clarity on installation of the SkySensor (SkyLight with ADSB in) in my Musketeer. Advise I was given was that the SkySensor can be installed on pre 1980 airplanes under AC 23-27 with just a logbook entry. They also made it clear that I should not do a 337 as the FAA was discouraging that route.

AC 23-27 works because the nav light meets performance specifications so can be used as a replacement. As for the ADSB-in receiver and wi-fi components, the FAA isn't concerned with those.

Advise I was given was that the SkySensor can be installed on pre 1980 airplanes under AC 23-27 with just a logbook entry.
FWIW: looking at the skysensor and the available guidance I don't think you would even need the AC and its limitation to install it on any aircraft as a minor alteration. There was a previous PoA discussion on this that led to the same conclusion. It would all depend on how your mechanic viewed it. I personally do not see a problem.

Does this make the AV30’s IFR certified?

No, but should help with the reported poor heading indicator drifts. Still no vertical guidance for glide slope.

I thought I read that there was an IFR solution coming? So does that mean AV30 cannot be used as a glideslope or does it cause the airplane to not be IFR certified altogether?

I thought I read that there was an IFR solution coming? So does that mean AV30 cannot be used as a glideslope or does it cause the airplane to not be IFR certified altogether?

Well, lack of GS isn’t the deciding factor, but I believe at current they don’t have the device IFR certified. That may change, they seem to be updating regularly. Of course if it isn’t replacing a required instrument, and is used to supplement then it should be just fine mounted in a panel.

No, but should help with the reported poor heading indicator drifts. Still no vertical guidance for glide slope.

There’s no lateral guidance either. It is installed as a DG replacement. And there is no restriction on use under IFR as a DG.

The problem is that everyone thinks the AV30 is an HSI. It is not, and I don't see it being one anytime soon.

The way I read that, AV-30 is legal for IFR use as an AHI or a DG, but not as a GPS NAV indicator.

For those using it as a DG, the remote magnetometer should greatly improve performance.

Last edited:
hopefully it helps it, because from what I read, my vacuum DG has less precession, and that sucker hasn't been out of the airplane for O/H since at least 2008. :D

Of course if it isn’t replacing a required instrument, and is used to supplement then it should be just fine mounted in a panel.

I believe the AV-30C can replace an AI or DG as a required instrument for IFR. Am I wrong?

Last edited:
Say you were to use the AV30 as an AI slaved to a gps, but with the compass arc display at the top of the instrument. Is is still necessary to install a magnetometer, or is the trk from the GPS sufficient?

I have not had precession issues and most time is it slaved. I believe most precession issues are installation and set up related.

I have not had precession issues and most time is it slaved. I believe most precession issues are installation and set up related.

Ok, thanks. Next question. I understand Uavionics is working on a device to enable the AV30 HSI to be IFR legal, provide vertical guidance and interface with legacy autopilots. Will this device also allow for internal switching between GPS and NAV sources?

from what I read, my vacuum DG has less precession
19b.jpg

For sure. No dog in the fight. I just explore the begged question of why the release of a magnetometer causes such fanfare, if there is no problem. I mean, they are releasing the magnetometer after all.

I'm a uavionix patron (skybeacon), so I generally appreciate their offerings. I was unimpressed by Dynon's offerings (portable PFD) in terms of quality and accuracy. As to garmin, I'm just captive audience which is why I like hearing about alternatives in this space.

For sure. No dog in the fight. I just explore the begged question of why the release of a magnetometer causes such fanfare, if there is no problem. I mean, they are releasing the magnetometer after all.

I'm a uavionix patron (skybeacon), so I generally appreciate their offerings. I was unimpressed by Dynon's offerings (portable PFD) in terms of quality and accuracy. As to garmin, I'm just captive audience which is why I like hearing about alternatives in this space.

Because an external magnetometer can be significantly more accurate than an internal magnetometer, due to the ability to mount it away from magnetic interference.

Garmin makes a remote magnetometer for the G5 and GI 275.

Whether vacuum or AV30, it'd be kind of nice to never have to sync your DG for only $299. I think I'd pay that if it were my money.

Whether vacuum or AV30, it'd be kind of nice to never have to sync your DG for only $299. I think I'd pay that if it were my money.
Great point. It is my money and I do plan to pay.

Speaking of which, anyone know the pinout at the D-sub for this gadget? I'm redoing the harness to replace the execrable connector that came in the box. Would like to stub it out for the mag now.

Will previously installed AV-30's need a firmware update or setting change?

One beef about the AV-30 I was reminded of today. The 15 pin D-sub shell is the cheapest POS they could possibly find. The screws securing the connector to the device are made of butter, I think. Hopefully the guts are better stuff.

Say you were to use the AV30 as an AI slaved to a gps, but with the compass arc display at the top of the instrument. Is is still necessary to install a magnetometer, or is the trk from the GPS sufficient?

When talking to a GPS over RS232 it will show track on one of its pages in AI mode if desired. However, its much easier to use for navigation when so connected on the pseudo-HSI page where it shows a d-bar and track. The little display at the top when in AI mode works, but find it much harder to use.

With the addition of a magnetometer it should live up to its promise as a (now slaved) DG replacement. Presumably down the line it will also show vertical modes and maybe one day be IFR certified, aka a G5 or 275 competitor. But not now.

When talking to a GPS over RS232 it will show track on one of its pages in AI mode if desired. However, its much easier to use for navigation when so connected on the pseudo-HSI page where it shows a d-bar and track. The little display at the top when in AI mode works, but find it much harder to use.

With the addition of a magnetometer it should live up to its promise as a (now slaved) DG replacement. Presumably down the line it will also show vertical modes and maybe one day be IFR certified, aka a G5 or 275 competitor. But not now.
It would need to connect to the GPS via something other than RS232. I don't think any GPS navigator currently issues vertical guidance via RS232.

It would need to connect to the GPS via something other than RS232. I don't think any GPS navigator currently issues vertical guidance via RS232.

That is correct; was referring only to the presently available lateral pseudo-HSI mode available over RS232. Even have an ancient KX135 hooked to an AV-30 in this manner. Down the road it will have to communicate in a different manner to become an actual HSI with lateral and vertical guidance.

Everyone should be clear about what they are getting. The AV-30C is an electronic AI and DG. If the magnetometer does its job properly, not having to adjust your DG is indeed a boon. And if a dual AV-30C allows removal of the vacuum system, that's a bonus, too. Save 10-12 lbs of useful load, and the headaches associated with vacuum maintenance and failures.

But if you want electronic instruments that can serve as CDIs for primary IFR navigation (allowing removal or repurposing of existing standalone CDIs), you need to look at Garmin G5s, GI275s, or the Aspen E5 units. These devices have true HSIs and certified for primary IFR navigation.

Hot tech tip: spoke to UA reps at SnF today. The AV-30C will require a software update to use the magnetometer. Software update can be done via a windows laptop connected to the AV-30C via a USB-to-Dsub-9 cable and a fabricated Dsub-15-to-Dsub-9 cable. The 15-to-9 cable pinouts are as follows:

Dsub 15 Pin----Dsub 9 Pin
...Gnd...............5.......

EDIT: just realized this diagram is in the installation instructions as figure 20 - field update harness. But still worth noting that your unit will not work with the new magnetometer without building the field update harness and performing the update.

More development in the pipe:

I liked Uavionix early on, but after having a tail beacon, I won’t buy one of their products again. The tail beacons and sky beacons are junk. I know of several failures, including my own. Then, the customer service was horrible as well. I know of avionics shops that won’t sell the because “everyone one of them will fail”.
I put in 2 G5’s a couple years ago, I’d do it again without a thought. Unless I went with gi275’s.

Did a little reading on the RC Allen Mini 6. It has an internal magnetometer with no provision for an external sensor. But the setup includes a magnetic calibration procedure that allows the device to learn and compensate for the magnetic field of the aircraft.

Have not seen any data on performance or reports of issues, but I had an RC Allen 2600, the predecessor device, and it was solid. I have video of me flying a 10-figure IAC Sportsman known sequence with the RCA 2600 maintaining orientation for the duration. That is 3 minutes of continuous aerobatics.

Did a little reading on the RC Allen Mini 6. It has an internal magnetometer with no provision for an external sensor. But the setup includes a magnetic calibration procedure that allows the device to learn and compensate for the magnetic field of the aircraft.

Have not seen any data on performance or reports of issues, but I had an RC Allen 2600, the predecessor device, and it was solid. I have video of me flying a 10-figure IAC Sportsman known sequence with the RCA 2600 maintaining orientation for the duration. That is 3 minutes of continuous aerobatics.

Ended up installing an RCA 2610 last month to satisfy AC 91-75. I was drawn by the lack of pitot-static connection, really simplified the installation. Space savings was also nice compared to the TC it ended up replacing, which is nice since the back of that panel is a rat's nest to work on.

My only complaint was the unit cost, which is why I'm taking it with me to the replacement aircraft. Since I'm married to an OEM autopilot feeding from vacuum AI and DG, I keep the vacuum system in the cert spam can. In an experimental I know I'll keep for the duration, I'd have no issue going to an all electric suite, especially since I plan on doing [non-competition] aerobatics and formation work, so moving away from mechanical instruments would fare a bit better for longevity.

Back