Installing an Amatuer Radio in a certificated aircraft

Jay Urish

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Wolf Pilot
I was curious if there are any hams here that have "installed" ham equipment in their aircraft? I just bought a cessna 175c and am doddling on paper ways to "install" an Icom IC-7000 HF-70CM transceiver in the aircraft. The FAR says it cannot be permanently installed, but if it was secured in a tray by locking latches and all cables (power/antenna) were easily removed without tools, I think it would comply.

Has anyone else done this before?

I wonder if you could find somewhere to fish a wire antenna through and suction cup it to the belly somewhere. I'm assuming one generally is going to want to talk to ground stations and putting an antenna anywhere other than underneath is going to put a big aluminum slab between your antenna and the direction you want the radio waves to propagate.

The C-185s and C-207 we flew in Alaska had HF radios installed with 337 forms. There was a dipole antenna mounted between the tail and the top of the wings.

The FAR says it cannot be permanently installed
How so? As mentioned above HF radios in aircraft were quite common at one point. Sat phone tech changed things but HF is still used today in some circles. You can permanently install whatever you want in an aircraft provided you follow the proper path. The hardest part of an HF install I've seen is getting the antenna setup correct for the aircraft type and if there is any EMI issues with newer avionics.

When both of my projects were delivered in 1944, HF was the only radio systems in them.

What FAR are we talking about here? There's nothing in the FARs about amateur radios at all.
The FCC regs just require them to be separate from the aircraft radios, approved by the master, and if used during IFR found to be compliant with the FCC rules.

I used to fly for a company in Alaska that had CB radios instead of marine radios the planes.

I fly in Alaska and most of our planes have marine VHF radios. Wired into the audio panel like they bring there.

FYI, thank you for the thread.

It reminded me to check on renewing my ticket. Which turns out expired later this month.

Imagine trying to fox hunt someone broadcasting from a plane

A dipole from wingtip to vert stab to wingtip with an antenna matcher works well on 40 m and higher frequencies on a C-172. An aircraft band steel "bent 1/4 wave" antenna trimmed down about 1 inch or so works well on 2 m when mounted on the aft fuselage. Don't ask how I know.;)

Search around. There is a fair amount of information on this. You can start with the "round the world" people who install HF radios but there are other resources as well.

Stinson L-5 and Piper L-4 had 125 foot long wire antennas on a hand cranked reel. Used a 2.5” or so drag cone to stream it out behind the airplane.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX SK had hf in his C182. He's the guy who wrote YMODEM, but that's beside the point. He used to have some info online but it may not be there any longer. ARRL puts out "Amateur Radio on the Move" which include information on various mobile radio platforms, including aeronautical. It's dated 2005.

A 70cm rig only needs a 6.8" quarter wave vertical antenna. I would use a handheld on that band. Now..I prefer doing cw with a 20 meter rig when flying :)

I've got an Azden 2000 installed, and run through audio panel, with 2m antenna on the underneath. I'd like to install a 20m rig, using the ADF sense antenna as a driven element with the airframe as counterpoise.

How big a plane do you have? Do you think it will tune up on 20 or would 10m be more likely?

A dipole from wingtip to vert stab to wingtip with an antenna matcher works well on 40 m and higher frequencies on a C-172. An aircraft band steel "bent 1/4 wave" antenna trimmed down about 1 inch or so works well on 2 m when mounted on the aft fuselage. Don't ask how I know.;)

I know how you know, you know?

I used to fly for a company in Alaska that had CB radios instead of marine radios the planes.
Back in the 1970s during the CB craze a number of pilots installed them in their airplanes, lying or maybe it was Air Progress had an article about it, I remember the antenna was mounted to an existing inspection plate to avoid drilling into the fuselage.

"Breaker one niner sky driver, any bears on the southbound interstate, c'mon?"

"Breaker one niner sky driver, any bears on the southbound interstate, c'mon?"

I would try to help out the truckers on the Dalton (between Deadhorse and Fairbanks) with weather, but a lot of the drivers thought it was cool to be talking to an airplane.

If you pursue this, I'd be keen to do the same in my aircraft. I already have the HF antenna installed but have been using it with a borrowed tuner and head unit, and would love to have my own setup.

Back