Piper down in Lindenhurst NY

• Flew a couple flight already today. What’s weather like up there today?? Pretty gusty here in NEPA

Wow. I have some hours in that plane and it was owned by the guy that did my PPL. Not sure if he/the flight school still owns it.

Smoke in cockpit prior to landing. Looks like they wanted to get on the ground quick.

Looked like a left wing low impact and cartwheel.

A few more seconds, would have made the runway.

last word, survivors were 80% body had burns.

Smoke in cockpit prior to landing. Looks like they wanted to get on the ground quick.
Don't mess with in flight fires. Getting on the ground is more important than getting back to an airport. I had a friend who got on the ground and out of the plane in time to see the thing completely engulfed.

Don't mess with in flight fires. Getting on the ground is more important than getting back to an airport. I had a friend who got on the ground and out of the plane in time to see the thing completely engulfed.
E81DDA86-0241-4EC2-BBCB-F2AF70EE7857.jpeg
7dgv4h

I had a transponder let all the smoke out about 10 miles from the airport. Told tower I had smoke in cockpit I was going to land on rwy 08 and I was shutting electrical down. I did not declare but should have. They rolled the trucks anyway.

Can’t confirm but heard mother and daughter on a discovery flight. Mother did not make it.
RIP

I departed from my maintenance base which was a mixed use ANG and civilian field. They had just worked on my voltage regulator/alternator and I smelled and saw a wisp of smoke on takeoff. I tell the tower I'm coming back to land and shutting off hte master now. As I'm on final approach I see the entire ANG CFR heading down to the approach end of the runway and then they chased me down as I rolled out. I was concerned that I might get drowned in AFFF.

Having spent some days doing foam training with the guys at BWI, I know that to be effective, they need to be on scene within 30 seconds and ready to flow foam. I don't begrudge them jumping the gun at times.

When this pilot called smoke in the cockpit he was over the southshore beach area. Ocean parkway at that point would have been my 20 mile long runway.

And yes it was a $99 intro flight. The backbone of that school, which does not have a great track record to begin with. Quite a few accidents in the past few years. And they advertise the cheap intro flight for people that just wanna go up for a plane ride.

Can’t confirm but heard mother and daughter on a discovery flight. Mother did not make it.
RIP

A tragedy magnified by the capriciousness of fate, and a crushing loss for a family.

My sympathies go to out to them.

Back