Cessna 182H cracked windshield by defrost

50kttailwind

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
50kttailwind
So this just happened. Took off this morning and all of a sudden noticed a 4” vertical crack near the defrost. There have been a few tiny specks in the windshield there for the longest time. I assume one of them was bound to go eventually.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening? Makes me concerned about using the defrost in the future. Outside was about 29F upon starting.

$4k bill here I come!

Has anyone ever heard of this happening?
The window defect was already there. So using the defrost was not the direct cause. If your window was already crazing or had install issues, it just becomes the luck of the draw what may cause a crack. Have seen them crack in hot sun as well. But your $4k estimate seems a bit steep for a windshield change from my experience.

The window defect was already there. So using the defrost was not the direct cause. If your window was already crazing or had install issues, it just becomes the luck of the draw what may cause a crack. Have seen them crack in hot sun as well. But your $4k estimate seems a bit steep for a windshield change from my experience.

Thanks for the info. I’ve heard 25-30 hours. Was trying to estimate high. What have you seen?

What have you seen?
I used to estimate anywhere from 8-16 hours to change a windshield on a Cessna 100 series. There can be variables like remove/install technique differences, access requirements, type of shop, etc. But have seen 25-30 hours where paint touch up was required.

If defrost cracked windscreens you would see a lot of cracked windscreens. Linear crazing on a Cessna windscreen usually means a weak area due flexing.

If defrost cracked windscreens you would see a lot of cracked windscreens. Linear crazing on a Cessna windscreen usually means a weak area due flexing.
Park an airplane in the sun for years and that plexiglass will craze.

I bought a plane 8 or so years ago, came with new windshield & side windows, still in boxes. On this plane the windshield was heavily ‘crazed’ or streaked up. The new windows look great, careful care now as one would expect.

It sounds like yours was needing replacement soon anyway. Nothing lasts forever.

Sure it will, but not isolated to area of the defroster outlet.
The defroster accelerates the degradation. I have seen windshields distorted by defroster heat. All wavy and not crazed.

Back