Ice Storm in Texas

Lowflynjack

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jack Fleetwood
Thought I'd share a few photos of our ice storm. I even made a meme, just a reminder to take care of your P's... People, Pets, Plants, Pipes, & Planes! Please share your pics on this thread as well.

Lot's of planes becoming tail draggers!
52665078736_62420a884c_c.jpg

52665577823_56a9087691_b.jpg

52664575937_268e0b7139_b.jpg

52665076091_c7a580341f_b.jpg

52665075941_8aa749ce47_b.jpg

52665368554_4d9c0a028f_b.jpg

52665075426_8fd02613d2_b.jpg

52664574772_02d709cb99_b.jpg

52665510900_25853af4a0_b.jpg

Thought I'd share a few photos of our ice storm. I even made a meme, just a reminder to take care of your P's... People, Pets, Plants, Pipes, & Planes! Please share your pics on this thread as well.

Lot's of planes becoming tail draggers!

52665076091_c7a580341f_b.jpg

this kinda stuff doesn't happen in a moo...........uh..............

nice pics!

Well, look on the bright side, you still have power this year, unlike last year.

Two years ago was the Texas Icemageddon

A friend of mine in Robertson County learned his lesson when he had no power for 16,17 days during that time.

He was really glad when his new generator kicked in when the power went off at 5:30a yesterday.

I love seeing ramps covered in tail draggers. Must be some real pilots up there.

I’ve been without power for over a day now. Basically camping in the house, running generators, and burning firewood. Boiled some water to take a bath this am. All the ice is melting and its soggy outside.

Tomorrow is flying weather baby!

What plane is that last one, looks like a retract.

I love seeing ramps covered in tail draggers. Must be some real pilots up there.

I’ve been without power for over a day now. Basically camping in the house, running generators, and burning firewood. Boiled some water to take a bath this am. All the ice is melting and its soggy outside.

Tomorrow is flying weather baby!
There is a good sized fly in happening Saturday morning at KGLE. Come on up and join us!

Couldn't help but notice that the Mooney was still on all three feet.
It's because the Mooney's elevators pointed upward. The icy rain won't get into the elevators and freeze up inside. Those Cessnas' elevators pointed downward allowing icy rain deposits in the elevators and freeze up like bricks. That changed the W&B and pressed the tail down.

It's because the Mooney's elevators pointed upward. The icy rain won't get into the elevators and freeze up inside. Those Cessnas' elevators pointed downward allowing icy rain deposits in the elevators and freeze up like bricks. That changed the W&B and pressed the tail down.
If one side is pointed up, which way is the other side pointed?

I have a lot of time in that airplane. It was one of two with the extra fifth fuel tank. 951 was the other. They did the ANC and GEG trips.

Ozark had two of the DC-9-34LR aircraft. N927L and N928L. They were used on the STL-SAN route when I was the SAN Manager, and they were used on charters. They had the 5 fuel tanks, which seriously limited the belly cargo capacity.

If one side is pointed up, which way is the other side pointed?
The trailing end of elevators has no open holes so no water can get in. But the leading edge of elevators has holes for mounting the hinges to the horizontal stabilizers. That's where the icy rain gets in when they point up. Check the pictures posted in this thread and see them for yourself.

Last edited:
Good ol’ Jack! Never without a camera.

Why no air to air on these planes Jack! A little icing going on?

Greatshots!

A little glycol and they're good to go.

Back