PIREP Garmin GPS 175

Ventucky Red

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jon
Considering this for a Cessna 152 upgrade.. Seems to be the most economical way to go for WAAS and LPV approaches both in cost and installation.

Anyone here did this upgrade? Comments/regrets?

Thanks

I have one. Love it. Very easy to use, easy to edit flight plans, airways are worth the cost of poker alone. Installed myself under supervision, plays well with the other avionics. Smallish screen, but easily readable. Finger ledges for using the touchscreen in turb, or use the knobs.

If I hadn't already had an ads-b solution, I would have gone with the 375.

No regrets.

I have installed many of these. For what it does, it’s a home run by Garmin. You’ll need a CDI with a glideslope needle for IFR use. You don’t need a Garmin CDI. A KI209 works and is inexpensive used.

I have the 355 ( a 175 + com ) - easy to use, airways (!), flight plan transfer to/from handheld, no regrets - as per Jesse, mine paired with used KI209, easy hookup to autopilot (Trio). I have a separate old kx155 for ILS so lack of nav wasn't an issue (plus the delta to a Garmin 650 was insane).

I have installed many of these. For what it does, it’s a home run by Garmin. You’ll need a CDI with a glideslope needle for IFR use. You don’t need a Garmin CDI. A KI209 works and is inexpensive used.

Jesse, I am a big admirer of your contributions on the net. Even though I live in the PNW, I will still consider getting my panel upgrade done by you when the time comes. Thank you.

I have the 355, Garmin CDI, coupled TruTrac auto pilot and 2 av30's. Installed by Jesse! Great combo and we love it. Also Sl30 for ILS

Attachments

• IMG_0478.jpg
    IMG_0478.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 100
I have the 355, Garmin CDI, coupled TruTrac auto pilot and 2 av30's. Installed by Jesse! Great combo and we love it. Also Sl30 for ILS

That sounds like the least expensive, yet very capable IFR panel. Just not sure about the AV30s. So many bad reviews on the net.

That sounds like the least expensive, yet very capable IFR panel. Just not sure about the AV30s. So many bad reviews on the net.
There's been a few software versions and a couple of hardware revisions, each supposedly making things better. Keep an eye on the review dates and color your opinion accordingly.

I have the 375. (175 + transponder). Love it.

depending on your transponder, it might make more sense to install a 375 over a 175 and remove an old POS transponder, and get ADS in/out.

I have the 375. (175 + transponder). Love it.

depending on your transponder, it might make more sense to install a 375 over a 175 and remove an old POS transponder, and get ADS in/out.
Something to be aware of: Unless it's going into an experimental, I think the GPS175 is sold over the counter while the GNX375 is sold only through Garmin dealers.

IMG_9563(1).JPG
I have been flying with a G650 since 2018, I have been flying my freinds Cherokee with G175 for about an year now. Both have been flawless.
Last night I flew a friends 182 with G530 in it. Wow what a step back that was after years of flying newer GPS. The screen reminded me of a old pacman video game.

I have one and I HATE It.
I find it to be a pain in the ass in turbulance, the keyboard is split across 2 screens so if I want to go to KXBP
Swipe to left Keyboard, hit K, swipe to right keyboard, hit X, swipe to left keyboard hit B swipe to right keyboard hit P
(Yes, you can use the knob and that is how I do it now)

Every time it is turbulent in the Texas summer, I start to mess with it and just go back to the iPad. I have the flightstream deal where they talk.
As soon as I can afford to get this unit out of my plane, I am going to do so. Why garmin got rid of buttons completely is beyond me.

I preferred the G430 to this unit.

Mine is fine, mostly I’m going direct somewhere, so not to much to complain about with the touch screen.

... I preferred the G430 to this unit.

the 430 unit is complete garbage. I can't believe I ever said a single good word about that thing. I guess coming from some of the cr@p rentals I used to fly, getting in a plane with a 430 at the time seemed awesome.

now I'm doing training on the G1000 and although yes, there are some pretty awesome features on that puppy, to me it seems like a giant 430 on steroids. really, I still have to dial in big knob to move the cursor, little knob to change letters, big knob to move cursor, little knob to................ are u friggin for real? I thought the G1000 was supposed to be high tech?!?!? and yes, I know, the G1000 at this point is almost 20 years old lol but still. the 430-era knob twisting has got to go, sheesh. gimme a touch screen any day over this stupid knob twisting bs. ok, back to the topic at hand.......

Yea twisting the knob is not one of my favorite ways to program a GPS.
I am also spoiled by using FF on a I pad and a FS510 to transfer the flight plan to the 650.
I have also become comfortable resting my fingers on the support ridges to use the touch screen on the newer GPS.

Thanks, Jesse.....

You don’t need a Garmin CDI. A KI209 works and is inexpensive used.
Don’t you lose the ability to set an OBS course to a station via a knob if you use a CDI with a composite interface rather than one with a resolver interface?

Don’t you lose the ability to set an OBS course to a station via a knob if you use a CDI with a composite interface rather than one with a resolver interface?

As far as I know, yes. I tried installing one of these Garmins with a King indicator and wasn't happy. I ended up putting a Mid Continent indicator in instead.

I have one and I HATE It.
I find it to be a pain in the *** in turbulance, the keyboard is split across 2 screens so if I want to go to KXBP
Swipe to left Keyboard, hit K, swipe to right keyboard, hit X, swipe to left keyboard hit B swipe to right keyboard hit P
(Yes, you can use the knob and that is how I do it now)

Every time it is turbulent in the Texas summer, I start to mess with it and just go back to the iPad. I have the flightstream deal where they talk.
As soon as I can afford to get this unit out of my plane, I am going to do so. Why garmin got rid of buttons completely is beyond me.

I preferred the G430 to this unit.

I'm halfway thinking this has to be trolling. I've not heard of a person wanting to pay to put a GNS in to replace a GTN 650. Maybe tryout the GTN650 xi? It is a bit easier to use.

I'm halfway thinking this has to be trolling. I've not heard of a person wanting to pay to put a GNS in to replace a GTN 650. Maybe tryout the GTN650 xi? It is a bit easier to use.

As far as I know the keyboard is still split across two screens on the 650 like it is on the GPS175. I don’t particularly care for the touchscreens or the split keyboard either, but I wouldn’t be removing one to install a GNS either. They have to be nearing the end of practical support.

As far as I know the keyboard is still split across two screens on the 650 like it is on the GPS175. I don’t particularly care for the touchscreens or the split keyboard either, but I wouldn’t be removing one to install a GNS either. They have to be nearing the end of practical support.
Incorrect. The GTN 650 has the full keyboard on one screen. Only the GPS 175 family (GNX 375, GPS 175, GNC 355) is small enough to have it split up

Incorrect. The GTN 650 has the full keyboard on one screen. Only the GPS 175 family (GNX 375, GPS 175, GNC 355) is small enough to have it split up

I learned something new. Searching through photos it looks like it can be either way and all the ones I've seen were set up like the GPS 175 is. I will admit that 90% of my time with the GTN family is with the 750 so I'm not as familiar with the 650 as I probably should be.

Question: Does the GPS175 communicate with ForeFlight as it does with Garmin Pilot ?

Question: Does the GPS175 communicate with ForeFlight as it does with Garmin Pilot ?
Yep, and you don't even need an add on FS510 like the GTNs.

I'm seriously considering a GPS 175 as an IFR GPS for my PA28

I learned something new. Searching through photos it looks like it can be either way and all the ones I've seen were set up like the GPS 175 is. I will admit that 90% of my time with the GTN family is with the 750 so I'm not as familiar with the 650 as I probably should be.
Looks like the downside is that all the keys in the keyboard become smaller in the non-split mode.

There's a third keyboard mode (only 5 keys at a time) that I bet isn't very popular with this crowd.

upload_2023-3-8_18-45-12.png

I've found the keyboard split thing really hasn't been a problem because once you punch in a couple letters, it will suggest waypoints or airports that are more than likely what you are looking for and simply shortcut with that.

Plus, you get airways. I mean, think about how much key punching/knob twisting that saves.

It would be nice if they could do away with the "K" prefix for airports though.

I think that the GTN 650 software started life with limited keyboard options, maybe only the slider. I flew with one a little bit that seems to have been limited that way. The newer software and the Xi don't have that limitation.

Yes. My opinion is the 650xi is easier to use than the 650

I think that the GTN 650 software started life with limited keyboard options, maybe only the slider. I flew with one a little bit that seems to have been limited that way. The newer software and the Xi don't have that limitation.

I wondered if that might be the case with this. I don’t remember there being a keyboard option but all the 650s I’ve flown with have been customer owned and I generally refrain from making changes.

I find the split screen of my GNX375 a non issue. As said above after two presses it usually has the shortcut pop up to what I’m looking for.

Back