Can a man have too many tools? [NA]

lol what’s the serial number? Maybe ask the manufacturer first?

My wife and her family own/run a very large tool business. I have so many tools that I don't even know I own, half of them I have no clue when they'd ever get used. Quite a nice problem to have.

As (only) one reply stated: no, a man can't have too many tools.

a corollary: the best kind of project (e.g., woodworking project) is one that requires the purchase of at least one new tool.
no…the best project is one that requires making at least one tool. Better still if you have to make a tool to make a tool for the project.:D

Last edited:
As I like to say, there's no job worth doing if you don't get a new tool about it. Margy still's questioning the big-ass hammer drill I bought to make one hole in the house to bring in the fiber optics.

I don't think it's possible to have too many tools, in general. That said, I did give away a cordless hammer drill over the holidays. I didn't need 2.

But...and I mean this in the kindest possible way...I do think it's possible to have too many techie hobbies. I don't know what that number is, but I believe it's related to the number of unfinished projects you have. I'm pretty sure I have too many.

Do you need some PowerStroke 6.0 tools? I've got the Nipple Cup replacement tool as well as the special socket for... one of the sensors, I think it was the high pressure oil pressure sensor. Actually that one I think I'll keep as it could be useful. But I doubt I'll ever change nipple cups again. Well then again that tool is really neat...
Lol luckily I haven't had too many 6.0L repairs so far. I'd imagine the socket you had was for the ICP sensor. I did just get finished putting new idler pulleys, auto tensioner and serpentine belt on it to stop a pulley squeak that developed last week. Upside is that I have new parts, downside is that it apparently wasn't the cause of the pulley squeak lol. Probably water pump bearing or power steering.

Lol luckily I haven't had too many 6.0L repairs so far. I'd imagine the socket you had was for the ICP sensor. I did just get finished putting new idler pulleys, auto tensioner and serpentine belt on it to stop a pulley squeak that developed last week. Upside is that I have new parts, downside is that it apparently wasn't the cause of the pulley squeak lol. Probably water pump bearing or power steering.

ICP sensor sounds right. I just remember the nipple cups because, well, someone at Navistar/Ford had fun naming that one. :)

I just remember the nipple cups because, well, someone at Navistar/Ford had fun naming that one. :)
As good a reason as any to keep the tool… “Need your nipple cups replaced? I have the tool for that!”:happydance:

I go around looking for projects so I can justify buying the tools I want...
When you want to justify buying new tools, just let your friends borrow your old ones. You will never get them back.

Some years ago my dad retired and began woodworking as a hobby. Around the same time I started sports car racing. He and I fell into a sort of tacit agreement for several years whereby we equipped each other’s shops with Christmas gifts, birthday presents, etc. He would give me a bench grinder, I’d give him a scroll saw. I’d buy him a lathe, he’d give me a drill press. Rinse and repeat.

When dad passed in 2021 most of his tools came to me. Lots of memories every time I walk into my shop.
My father and I have a less formal arrangement that results in the same thing, lol. He gets a nice router, I buy him a nice router table. He buys a mitre saw, I buy him a nice stand for it. Eventually I'll end up with a lot of tools that fill his 40x60 shop. Downside is that I also have about 80% of the same tools already, so I'll have a ton of duplicates. But who doesn't need 6 3/8s ratchets or 5 shovels?!

My father and I have a less formal arrangement that results in the same thing, lol. He gets a nice router, I buy him a nice router table. He buys a mitre saw, I buy him a nice stand for it. Eventually I'll end up with a lot of tools that fill his 40x60 shop. Downside is that I also have about 80% of the same tools already, so I'll have a ton of duplicates. But who doesn't need 6 3/8s ratchets or 5 shovels?!

Oh, this was nothing formal. It just worked out that way.

Most of the dup’d handtools I got from dad now reside in my hangar, along with his steel-top workbench, a small vice, and work lights.

Thanks, dad.

I think the real question is where does it cross the line from being a tool. I mean, is a pottery kiln, or crochet needles tools? I'd probably put watch repair equipment in the tool category, but they're approaching the line.....

There’s a line? My fly-tying tools are definitely tools.

I have three generations of tools (not all of them!). My grandfather was a carpenter and builder. I’ve got quite a few of his tools, that I still use, most over 100 years old. I’ve got some of my dad’s though most of his I already had duplicates so my sons, nephews and nieces got most of those. And some of my FILs as neither of his sons do DIY stuff. And, of course, mine. Too many? Well, I haven’t stopped buying tools yet, though I have managed to do some pretty big projects without buying any.

• I'm trying to downsize, and need to get rid of a fair amount of tools. I retired in January 2021 and just don't need a lot of the tools I have. There are 6 tool boxes I keep in the hangar and probably 6 or more tote or hand carry boxes plus another 2 top boxes at home. The thing is most folks will only offer 10 cents to the dollar for used tools. I don't want to give them away, I just want a fair price for them maybe 40 to 50% the new price.

• I'm trying to downsize, and need to get rid of a fair amount of tools. I retired in January 2021 and just don't need a lot of the tools I have. There are 6 tool boxes I keep in the hangar and probably 6 or more tote or hand carry boxes plus another 2 top boxes at home. The thing is most folks will only offer 10 cents to the dollar for used tools. I don't want to give them away, I just want a fair price for them maybe 40 to 50% the new price.

There is unfortunately little to no value in resale of hand tools and smaller non power tool. I too wound up with tons of duplicates and more than I needed after consolidating a few shops...I found more value in bundling and giving them to kids who want to or are learning to wrench on and build things but may not have the resources to outfit a whole new workbox than selling for pennies on the dollar.

If any man has even one of my tools without permission, he has too many tools.

If any man has any tools (it implies that’s less for me, ergo…) he has too many tools.

FIFY

I stand corrected, OTHER men have too many tools! Who knew?

Last edited:
I stand corrected, OTHER men have too many tools! Who knew?

FIFY

you are forgetting the benefit of having a friend with the tool (or tools) you can borrow...

I hate borrowing stuff… that’s how all this got started!

I go around looking for projects so I can justify buying the tools I want...
I just did that...sort of. We had a lull at the shop for a change where I could do some grossly needed planned maintenance. First was the cnc plasma with 2 years of slag in the bed. Next was the 1948 Cincinnati 2512 shear had to flip and gap the blades. It'll shear 3/8 steel plate 12' long down to 22 ga stainless steel. Scares the crap out of customers. Bought some new large wrenches just to cut in half, extend, and put a bend to make the job easier. Then came the durma brake press. Had a couple r-rings on a control valve.

Shear turns 75 May 22. There will be a party.

I hate borrowing stuff… that’s how all this got started!

actually I don't mind lending at all.
I just get frustrated when I own the exact tool, for the job in front of me - and that tool is awol.

Am I the only one with unnecessary 'Tool Duplication' and the pain that causes?
I used to have one set of tools in my truck. That was it.
Then my tool inventory grew as I "needed" a full set of screwdrivers or wrenches at the airport, and then later in my garage, then it seemed like it was a bothersome delay if I didn't also have a set at work.
I'm probably the only one.

The pain is not only constantly being aware of the expense of this duplication but......when I start a project at any of these sites... sure enough, a bunch of tools I need are at one of the other sites.

Many times I've been doing something and when I complain that I don't have the tool I need the wife says, "let me guess ... it's at the airport!" I do love that woman ... :)

Am I the only one with unnecessary 'Tool Duplication' and the pain that causes?
I used to have one set of tools in my truck. That was it.
Then my tool inventory grew as I "needed" a full set of screwdrivers or wrenches at the airport, and then later in my garage, then it seemed like it was a bothersome delay if I didn't also have a set at work.
I'm probably the only one.

The pain is not only constantly being aware of the expense of this duplication but......when I start a project at any of these sites... sure enough, a bunch of tools I need are at one of the other sites.
Ugh I feel your pain. I've got toolboxes at my house, my dad's house, and the airport, and I'm constantly finding that I need something that's somewhere else. As much as I have to fix stuff in the field, I've played with the idea of setting up a service truck. So far though if I'm in that much of a hurry, I find it beneficial to call the dealer and get their service truck that comes with another set of hands.

Ugh I feel your pain. I've played with the idea of setting up a service truck.

That sounds like a new thread title. Although it's gonna end similarly. Yes, yes you should.

Rookies…

Yes you need a service truck. But they don’t fit everywhere, also need a service minivan. And a service Piper…

Can’t hurt to have a shop at home and work. And at the airport. And your parents house. And the kid’s houses. And the ex’s house.

If there’s somewhere you vacation frequently… well there ya go.

Each should have a speciality, but need basic woodworking, fabrication and machining capability.

How on earth can you possibly have too many with these BASIC life requirements?

Just sayin.

one downside of multiple shops, etc: you have to have discipline to keep tools where they belong. The more space and rooms you have to store tools, the more places you'll have to look when you can't find that (@*#&$(#@ tool.

Anyone else guilty of buying a tool only to realize your actually already had one in your shop?...no?...uhhh never mind then...

Anyone else guilty of buying a tool only to realize your actually already had one in your shop?...no?...uhhh never mind then...
Not as far as you know...

My wife on the other hand, well, I don't keep secrets from her because I promised. And she, she supports and encourages my flying.

Anyone else guilty of buying a tool only to realize your actually already had one in your shop?...
BTDT. Sometimes, while digging through a lesser-used tool chest, it's Christmas all over again.

What's more maddening to me is being fairly certain I bought a tool, being unable to find it, buying another, and then finding the original one. I JUST did that this week.

Back