Chinese Spy Balloon Flying Over the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rumor is the Montana one was shot down. Anyone confirm?

If anyone is interested, it looks like COBRA47 is probably still on it. If this is correct, it may be that the balloon is in the area of northwestern Tennessee or southwestern Kentucky right now.

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=ae01d4

Last edited:
They are preparing. This is a test release, in advance of hundreds or thousands - which will be used to distract our forces, just before they invade Taiwan.

Just happen to have a patent on a "high altitude balloon capturing device" aka HABCD. Said device will utilize very sophisticated drone swarm technology to achieve the necessary altitude, and capture the balloon in a large bag made of proprietary material that shields the spy balloon from receiving the "self destruction signal" that will be sent from CCP via satellite, thus keeping the equipment functional. Then, the spy balloon will be brought down to earth, directly to Wash DC, where it can be reverse engineered to figure out where the remaining classified docs can be found. Anyone want to invest in my HABCD patent? Oh yeah, the CCP has already expressed interest in investing, but they want a full disclosure of the technology before they will pay for the intellectual property.

HBAL 617 is now off the Florida coast at 61K AGL, and its name has been changed to “No, this is not the Chinese Balloon”.

What would be the total weight of something like this? I hardly think it would be a significant danger for people on the ground.
Not the balloon but the equipment attached to it. A number of solar panels on a structure.

HBAL 617 is now off the Florida coast at 61K AGL, and its name has been changed to “No, this is not the Chinese Balloon”.
This would be a good time to take it down, over water, and before it gets too deep to recover.

If they are going to wait until it gets over the Atlantic, why wasn't it shot down as it approached the coast over the Pacific?

I think it's scouting for more agricultural land to buy with Bill Gates. Though, Bill Gates denies any link, just like he denies his visits with Jeffry Epstein were nothing more than dinners.
"The apps and desert were to die for!"
Too soon?

If they are going to wait until it gets over the Atlantic, why wasn't it shot down as it approached the coast over the Pacific?

I think it's scouting for more agricultural land to buy with Bill Gates. Though, Bill Gates denies any link, just like he denies his visits with Jeffry Epstein were nothing more than dinners.
"The apps and desert were to die for!"
Too soon?

Sorry sir, this is POA. The place you want for unhinged rants is Facebook.

It is over NC right now...I'm hoping some of our boys at Cherry Point use it for target practice.

That's exactly the call sign I would use if I were a Chinese balloon.

Rumor is the Montana one was shot down. Anyone confirm?

boy-shooting-catapult-one-eye-closed.jpg

Once it gets into a warning area off the coast, SPLASH it.
How, exactly?

It's above the service ceiling of the F-16, F/A-18, and the F-35; just barely within that of the F-15 and F-22.

Guns kill will be awkward; pass will be against a stationary target at ~600 knots at an altitude where the plane handles sloppily and with no other visual cues.

Doubt it's hot enough for a Sidewinder to get lock.

Maybe an AMRAAM can get lock (bet the envelope is radar-transparent) but they cost $1M each.

Apparently, it's tough to shoot down these things....here's where the Canadians tried it with F-18s:

https://www.businessinsider.com/runaway-weather-balloon-fighter-jets-history-2023-2

All the publicity about these things, it would be hella bad press for the USAF or USN if they tried to shoot it down and failed.

Ron Wanttaja

Shooting it down is a peace-o-cake....it can be lazed and or laser guided missile will bring it down. But, I'd rather rope it and recover the payload then let the hay fly over what was inside the payload.

How, exactly?

Ron Wanttaja

You know those laser guided Hellfires with the swords that stick out? (Used to target individuals). Poke a big hole in two sides of the envelope and it'll come down.

Now, how to get one of those Hellfires that high, and accompanied by a laser designator... Hmm.

How, exactly?

It's above the service ceiling of the F-16, F/A-18, and the F-35; just barely within that of the F-15 and F-22.

Guns kill will be awkward; pass will be against a stationary target at ~600 knots at an altitude where the plane handles sloppily and with no other visual cues.

Doubt it's hot enough for a Sidewinder to get lock.

Maybe an AMRAAM can get lock (bet the envelope is radar-transparent) but they cost $1M each.

Apparently, it's tough to shoot down these things....here's where the Canadians tried it with F-18s:

https://www.businessinsider.com/runaway-weather-balloon-fighter-jets-history-2023-2

All the publicity about these things, it would be hella bad press for the USAF or USN if they tried to shoot it down and failed.

Ron Wanttaja

Easy enough to classify the attempt.

News release says POTUS decided not to shoot it down, which implies options were presented to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back