Anyone else call it walking the dog?

BaltCoFlyer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
EchoSierraSierra
Wondering if this is a peculiarity of my school or a widespread thing- where I fly, "walking the dog" is slow flight clean/dirty, a power off and then a power on stall. Would people know what I'm talking about outside of this school or would it confuse them?

Walking the Dog" is a song written and performed by Rufus Thomas. It was released on his 1963 album Walking the Dog. It was his signature hit and also his biggest, reaching number 10 on the Billboard Hot 100.

The slang dog walk is “to overpower” or “outsmart” someone, as if in utter control of them, as when walking a dog. The slang verb own is a close synonym.

Not to be confused with the AC/DC song about a dog and a bone.

Never heard it used like that.

The only things I've ever heard that phrase refer to is the yoyo trick and actually taking the dog for a walk. I think it's a safe bet that it's a just-at-your-school thing.

Is this like when both the CA and FO touch hands on the throttles, it’s known as a coupled approach?

No, I've never heard this phrase and wouldn't have any idea what you mean.

I'm curious, though, where does it come from? What part of slow flight and stalls has any relation to walking a dog? (Not that colloquialisms necessarily need any relation to reality, but most have at least a tenuous connection in some way.)

Flight school aircraft are dogs, so if you fly them slow I guess that means you're walking it. Weird term your flight school invented.

"I'm Walkin' The Dog", Webb Pierce 1953
Refers to a carefree lad who had shed his prior connection
Never heard of it in conjunction with aviation.

Used that expression numerous times… but not referring to aviation.
In my world it always meant taking a whiz.

Back in the days when people used to smoke, I remember having a neighbor who would tell her boyfriend or whatever that she was going to go walk the dog when she was actually going around the corner for a secret smoke. I'm pretty sure her boyfriend was in denial that he was dating a smoker.

But for flight training, I've never hear that. Sounds like some instructors making up new terminology again.

200w.gif

As Jed said in the classic film Red Dawn when he was about to shoot the captured Russian who was saying it was against the Geneva Convention...

I never heard or it!

Boy....you're not from around here. I can tell. o_O:confused:

only if you’re doin it naked…is it called that.

Last edited:
I was taught in a J-3 by a WW2 Stearman CFI. About the 5th or 6th hop, he had me slow to a stall. But not stall. That was what he called slow flight and had me do it for five or ten minutes at a time. A few turns were thrown in. I could feel the stall "nibbling" throughout. It was the one maneuver that taught me the most. No dogs were harmed during this maneuver.

I am old enough, sadly, to remember when 'Walking the Dog' was a popular dance number. In the day, Freight Dogs like me, landing at ORD real late could still go drinking & dancing at night Chicago night spots that didn't close until 3 AM. Oh dear

Never heard of it. Don't like it. Stop using it.

I thought we called that, ‘hanging on the prop’?

I’ve got a real dog to walk.

Attachments

• 974262AE-9F4E-4978-8A7D-E5F18CB64398.jpeg
    974262AE-9F4E-4978-8A7D-E5F18CB64398.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 5
Every time I go fly my Husky for no reason, I call it “walking the dog.”

Navy flight school instructors used that term for multi engine throttle movement on the ball.

Move one up a skosh, then bring in the other to match if ya needed more. Bring the first one back it that one was too much.

Same going the other way.

Kind of a throttle dance…. Little half thickness throttle splits and so on.

You could use the multi thing to gage movement. Felt naked going back to single engine after S3s in the fleet and then A4s as an instructor. Then it was all guesswork.

Given what I hope to achieve while while walking the (literal) dog, I don't see where this analogy fits.

Was a common phrase in the Army, but nobody knew what it meant. I think it had something to do with proceeding through the steps of a defined process rather than jumping to the end result. Not sure what that had to do with dogs. We ran stuff up the flagpole a lot too, which also meant something.

I think it had something to do with proceeding through the steps of a defined process rather than jumping to the end result.
Guessing that's the provenance of it. Good to know nobody else uses it that way, though.

Back