Odd one on the radio today

Dana

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Dana
I was taking advantage of today's warm weather to go flying, a rare winter day warm enough for open cockpit and on a weekend. I had just departed the Chester (SNC, an uncontrolled airport) pattern to check out a big smoke to the east, still tuned to CTAF, when I heard: "Chester tower, Cherokee 12345."

A few moments later, "Chester tower, Cherokee 12345."

After the third repetition, I keyed the mike and said, "Chester doesn't have a tower."

A moment later, "Chester tower, Cherokee 12345."

"Chester tower, Cherokee 12345."

I was about to key the mike when somebody else came on and said, "You're on 122.725."

The other guy: "You're still on 122.72."

Cherokee: "How about now?"

"You're still on 122.72."

Me (slowly): "Chester has no tower."

That was the end of it.

Thinking back, maybe he was saying "Westfield" or "Worcester" (both about 70 miles north) and he was simply on the wrong frequency, but the transmission was very clear and it really sounded like "Chester", and there was other chatter on the frequency from Plymouth, which also uses 122.725 so it should have been obvious it's not a tower frequency.

The big smoke turned out to be a fire at large chicken coop at a commercial egg farm. More egg price increases?

The big smoke turned out to be a fire at large chicken coop at a commercial egg farm. More egg price increases?

Maybe getting out of the egg business and collect insurance.??

Egg prices are like the smoke going sky high.

Worchester, Mass is pronounced “Wooster”. It is incorrectly pronounced “worCHESTER”. The caps are my add for emphasis.

I wonder if “Chester Tower” in the OP is “‘Chester Tower”. BUT Worchester Tower KORH is 120.5 whereas Chester, Ct tower is 118.375 so that doesn’t work. In the words of Rosanne Rosannadanna, “Nevermind…”

-Skip

Worchester, Mass is pronounced “Wooster”. It is incorrectly pronounced “worCHESTER”.

-Skip
It's actually spelled Worcester. No H in it at all and if you realize the propensity of Bostonians to drop the R, the pronunciation makes more sense.

They all got their COVID boostahs, but they spell it borcester.

Maybe getting out of the egg business and collect insurance.??
That was my wife's first reaction, sterilizing bird flu in that coop... one of dozens on the site.

Worchester, Mass is pronounced “Wooster”. It is incorrectly pronounced “worCHESTER”. ...

-Skip

Note that the correct pronounciation of "Worcester" does not rhyme with rooster.

Big smoke is right; 100,000 chickens perished!

I had one today that was slightly concerning.

I was approaching runway 23 at my home airport and heard another plane call "in bound, full stop, runway 23." Either they never gave the airport identifier or I missed it.

I called the bug smasher and asked where they were. "Inbound" was the reply. So I asked where they were inbound to. "Runway 23" was the answer. In my calmest voice I asked which airport (we have several airports close by using the same CTAF). They then came back and identified the airport they were approaching. I replied with a sincere "thank you."

I was fairly certain that I knew where they were but there's just nothing quite like being certain when I can't spot them out the window ...

Note that the correct pronounciation of "Worcester" does not rhyme with rooster.
I’ve heard it more like wuuster (longer than one u but shorter than two) or wurster from natives but 40 years ago

I always thought people in the area made up their own version of a Boston accent.

I’ve heard it more like wuuster (longer than one u but shorter than two) or wurster from natives but 40 years ago

I always thought people in the area made up their own version of a Boston accent.
There's local versions of the Boston accent. Charlestown vs Dorchester vs Southie vs South Shore vs North Shore. That was back in the day though, things are more mixed now. Wustah or Wuster is a good approximation.

Looking at the apple dictionary, the pronouncation of Worcester is different than rooster.

If someone was calling it "wooooster", than that person isn't actually native to the area. But what do I know, only lived here my entire life of 60-mumble years.

What about the sauce, the stuff you pour on tough steak? Wooster?

What about the sauce, the stuff you pour on tough steak? Wooster?

The only sauce I use with any steak is bourbon sauce.

For me, not the steak. Don’t like the steak? Add more sauce.

Yea, that or the guy on 121.5 calling crosswind, downwind, base, final, on the go, up wind…

Back