My name came up on the T-Hangar list!

I’m curious, when you signed up, did they give you your position number or estimate of wait time?

Which airport? Could be good storage space :D

I’m curious, when you signed up, did they give you your position number or estimate of wait time?
Yeah, "real soon now".
Edit: we did have a 1930's era T-hanger for years, but it required you to push the tail down to clear the door, as planes back then weren't nose-draggers. Not a fun job for a single person to do.

Last edited:
Wow 12 years is crazy. Which hangars @Luk?
In 2017-2019 I was on the Aerotco waiting list. He called about a year later to tell me had one available. I was not ready to commit at that time, asked him to keep me on the list. About 6 months later he called me again and by then my buddy had a hangar @I67 that I was flying out of and eventually took over. So I never hangered over there. I bet things have changed since then?
I recently met Cowboy ay Air Tolin, my buddy knows him well and rented a hangar from him for years. Cowboy's guys put a new interior in my buddy's arrow right before Xmas and I was over there. Cowboy was in the hospital I hope he is alright?

KLUK, but they've gotten smart and require the hanger to house an aeroplane.

I don’t remember if was my previous airport or not, but the story I heard was that someone put a packed parachute in the hanger and it legally met whatever definition of aeronautical device was needed to keep the hanger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a local privately owned airport here (not the one I'm at) that the owners want to sell. The county wants to close the airport, tear down the hangars and use the property as maintenance/storage yard. Their reasoning is that there's only a couple of airworthy airplanes using the airport regularly and most of the hangars are full of non-aviation junk.

I waited 4 years to get the hangar I have. And in it I have a flying airplane and another airplane kit I'm building. I pay a ridiculous amount of rent for my hangar and there's a waitlist a mile long, just hoping for someone like me to give up and move out.

I'm all for forcing people out of hangars who are using them for junk storage.

52626267545_03cb82d062_c.jpg

Wow 12 years is crazy. Which hangars @Luk?
In 2017-2019 I was on the Aerotco waiting list. He called about a year later to tell me had one available. I was not ready to commit at that time, asked him to keep me on the list. About 6 months later he called me again and by then my buddy had a hangar @I67 that I was flying out of and eventually took over. So I never hangered over there. I bet things have changed since then?
I recently met Cowboy ay Air Tolin, my buddy knows him well and rented a hangar from him for years. Cowboy's guys put a new interior in my buddy's arrow right before Xmas and I was over there. Cowboy was in the hospital I hope he is alright?
We were originally in Cowboy's ancient hangars, and he did our annuals, and even arranged a ferry pilot when we sold it. Solid dude. When we sold the plane, my friend wanted the hangar, but Cowboy wanted it for some of his stuff.
He's not made a FB post for about a year and a half.

As all airports should, and not just any aeroplane, but an airworthy one.
except then what about active restoration or build projects..... might not be airworthy...but how would you suggest handling folks that are on the way to having an airworthy craft?

As all airports should, and not just any aeroplane, but an airworthy one.

What if I had a Sopwith Camel (under restoration) in a hangar? wouldn't that be ok?

except then what about active restoration or build projects..... might not be airworthy...but how would you suggest handling folks that are on the way to having an airworthy craft?
Well that’s different. If someone is actively building an EAB or taking appropriate steps towards bringing an aircraft into airworthy condition, then that would be an acceptable use of a hangar for its purpose.

All this desire to "force" people to have to use their hanger/resource in a certain way will always ultimately be bad for aviation. Giving up rights is an endless game of falling dominoes.

There's an early model Bonanza in the hangar next to ours that will never fly again and its wedged in place by a hangar full of other crap. The airport has a 4+ year waiting list and that particular hangar is rented to an AOPA director. :rolleyes:

Easy fix for all the problems above (shortage and non aviation use)…raise monthly rent until there’s no waiting list.

All this desire to "force" people to have to use their hanger/resource in a certain way will always ultimately be bad for aviation. Giving up rights is an endless game of falling dominoes.
I disagree. A hangar is for airplanes, and in places (such as Cincinnati Muni / Lunken Field) where they are at a premium, with long waiting lists, it should be enforced.

There's an early model Bonanza in the hangar next to ours that will never fly again and its wedged in place by a hangar full of other crap. The airport has a 4+ year waiting list and that particular hangar is rented to an AOPA director. :rolleyes:

Sounds like its time to get the local fire marshal involved in a code enforcement action.

Easy fix for all the problems above (shortage and non aviation use)…raise monthly rent until there’s no waiting list.

That's what they did at my airport. $800/mo for an insulated T hangar is just enough to force a lot of people out. I don't like paying that much. But, when airport hangars are cheaper than comparable storage lockers, this is what happens.

I have a better fix. Lower the cost of storage units around airports so people who just want to store junk can do so in an economical manner without hogging hangar space. Win-win for everyone except the storage unit places.

that's chicken sht!!!*

*does a laundry basket aeroplane count?

Not when there are a lot of people with airplanes that need a hangar. And alot of storage places for non-airplanes.

While new airplanes are being made, most of the fleet is finite and outdoor storage claims a number of them every year. Either storm damage or corrosion.

I have a better fix. Lower the cost of storage units around airports so people who just want to store junk can do so in an economical manner without hogging hangar space. Win-win for everyone except the storage unit places.

If the airport receives Federal funds, there are some requirements about use of hangars.

Easiest is to just require an airplane in the hangar. With maybe a 6 month grace period to buy one.

We were originally in Cowboy's ancient hangars, and he did our annuals, and even arranged a ferry pilot when we sold it. Solid dude. When we sold the plane, my friend wanted the hangar, but Cowboy wanted it for some of his stuff.
He's not made a FB post for about a year and a half.
My buddy had a 150 in one of cowboys old hangars.

We met with Cowboy last Aug and spent an hour or more looking color and carpet samples for my buddy's interior. Cowboy is real friendly, expert, humorous, accommodating AP. I was in awe. Cowboy knows everyone and was friends with the late previous owner of my plane.
He was there when my buddy dropped off his plane nov early dec? But in the hospital when he picked it up.

There's a local privately owned airport here (not the one I'm at) that the owners want to sell. The county wants to close the airport, tear down the hangars and use the property as maintenance/storage yard. Their reasoning is that there's only a couple of airworthy airplanes using the airport regularly and most of the hangars are full of non-aviation junk.

I waited 4 years to get the hangar I have. And in it I have a flying airplane and another airplane kit I'm building. I pay a ridiculous amount of rent for my hangar and there's a waitlist a mile long, just hoping for someone like me to give up and move out.

52626267545_03cb82d062_c.jpg
Wow that is a dream hangar, love it! How wide is that? It looks huge and being heated and insulated is to die for. Awesome.

Wow that is a dream hangar, love it! How wide is that? It looks huge and being heated and insulated is to die for. Awesome.

Its only slightly bigger than a standard 40' T-hangar. The white walls and a deceptively small Sonerai (blue and white airplane) make it look bigger. But, yes it is a nice hangar. For what I'm paying it better be!

Did you find another hangar in that time, or did you have to keep out on the ramp?
We were already in a vintage (1930's era) hangar, with such a low door that one person had to push down the tail to get it in (built for "conventional" gear.)

That's about what it took for me to get into OSU, and I only got it because they built new hangars. I was told I was at the top of the "still walking" list.

Back