Learning interesting things while flying

Daven

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Awesometastic1
I don't know if it's appropriate to post here and will delete if the consensus is nada, but started a YouTube channel, Higher Learning, in which I basically fly around talking about interesting things such as What's the best way to survive falling out of a plane without a parachute? and really all sorts of interesting aviation themed topics like that time a Luftwaffe Pilot Risked His Life to Save an Allied Bomber (publishing this one shortly) and Why the stereotypical sound of a plane diving towards the ground is as it is.

Anyway, thought it might be interesting to people here, and also would love any feedback, and any tips from those who have more experience filming while flying around. Or anything interesting anyone thinks worth covering. I've been doing this for many years on non-aviation content on my TodayIFoundOut channel with a few million subscribers, but my first foray into filming in the air and all. :) Only took four flight attempts to get the first video finally recorded properly Still working on it and definitely still looking for ways to improve things. :)

Higher Learning is a great name for your channel. How do you intend to link the flying that you intend to do to the topics of your airborne Chautauquas?

A subjective observation: no one needs to spend 20 minutes watching a person sit in a chair, even if that chair is in the sky.

How do you intend to link the flying that you intend to do to the topics of your airborne Chautauquas?

The general idea will be pretty random scripted discussions of all manner of aviation related things from interesting history, technical or legal aspects of things (like is it legal to land a helicopter in a fast food restaurant parking lot?), whatever, similar in style to our many other channels like TodayIFoundOut, Highlight History etc, BUT instead of more presenter style on a proper set like all the other channels we do, in the air because, as you say, watching someone sitting in a chair is much less interesting visually. :) So I've literally told our video editor "Don't show me very much at all. Mostly go with the outside or forward facing camera angles." :)

So the channel's goals being two fold, one for people to learn interesting things related to aviation, and second to sort of fly vicariously via the sounds and visuals flying all over. Mostly all around the Pacific Northwest, but really beyond at times. The only downside being we usually do a lot better audio and usually that's extremely important as people will forgive bad visuals, they will not forgive poor quality audio. BUT in this case I *think* it works for the more immersive ambiance. I'm interested what people think there as I could just as easily narrate from home with massively improved vocal audio, but otherwise keep the flying visuals. And, as I said, still working on the best visuals here and any feedback there or anyone who has more experience filming from the air, don't be shy. :)

The most compelling enigma I am facing right now - and it would probably take a large investigative staff to figure out - is why the flight school's planes always seem to break down during my training flights.
Had all of my flight planning done for my cross country, and the engine starts to hiccup on climbout. My CFI has no sense of adventure and decides we need to head back. Rats.

So with the directive "don't be shy", it sounds like a silly idea to me. Sounds like you have a niche with doing videos on interesting facts, and that this is working well for you or you wouldn't be trying this. If you want to include aircraft into it, I'd suggest flying to someplace, then doing your thing locally with the airplane as part of the experience of getting there. Flying to Gettysburg and doing a bit on some bit of trivia on one charge or the other.

The other would be to do reviews of places to eat that you can fly to. Pilots might even watch those, but maybe more people that like planes that would go to those places to eat and watch planes. Plus, you could probably get a meal comped, too. Just my 2 cents, missing the BBQ place in Keene NH.

Daven, the concept, as I understand it, doesn't appeal that much to me, but it might appeal to a different audience--one that hasn't spent 43 years in aviation. I do appreciate your commitment to focus the cameras on the beauty and magic of flying, and not create more boring, narcissistic 15-minute video selfies. Speaking of the latter, recently (at the request of an acquaintance) I suffered through yet another 12-minute video of a person sitting in a chair (which happened to be the left seat of an airplane cockpit) with occasional arm movements and spoken dialog to prove that it wasn't a mannequin. That content creator had three different camera angles of herself at the controls vs. two cameras showing the real star of the show--the view from the plane. The takeaway, for me, was that watching cute kitten videos must be way better than flying airplanes. You won't be that person, I'm sure.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back