My CFI needs some guidance

Michael Gallagher

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
gallagher80304
I love my CFI. However, he has not had a sport pilot student before and is trying to make sure he follows all the regs. I have provided him with some FAA info and links. Does anyone out there know of a sport CFI that might lend him a few minutes of their time to chat??

I and he would be eternally grateful.

There is a very nice guy named Steve at the Merrill Municipal Airport in Wisconsin. KRRL. His mobile number is 715-204-2928. Steve is an active sport pilot CFI and probably would be happy to talk to your guy.

Last edited:
Do you know who your DPE will be? Your CFI might want to have a talk with him, too. I’m assuming your CFI has read the Sport Pilot PTS, but if not that would be a really good first step.

You have a CFI that doesn’t know how to research the regs?

Tell him to read Part 61 Subpart C Student Pilots (61.81-61.95) and Subpart J Sport Pilots (61.301-61.327)
He wants to make sure he isn't missing anything. He has read the regs but wants confirmation from someone with experience. It seems simple to me, but I may be wrong. Wants to find out what endorsements are possible/legal.

Also, my CFI is 70. Damn good pilot and a master of aeronautics, so I like training with him. I have had a few other CFI's and only one other is as good as he is - and he also doesn't seem to know the sport pilot regs.

He wants to make sure he isn't missing anything. He has read the regs but wants confirmation from someone with experience. It seems simple to me, but I may be wrong. Wants to find out what endorsements are possible/legal.

Your CFI may be a great pilot, but as a CFI he is not current. This document provides all the standard endorsements. This is not a new FAA document; it was issued over 4 years ago.

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_61-65H.pdf

Never had a sport pilot student. But, I think there’s probably no reason to overthink it. Follow the requirements of Part 61 and the PTS.

Do the prerequisites and the rest is gonna be pretty much the same as far as teaching techniques.

Back