Boeing's Truss-Braced-Wing Jet Concept Could Replace 737 Max By 2030

High wing jet - B-52, C-5, C-141, C-17, and I think the Russians and British built one or more.

NASA and DARPA have been doing research with private sector companies for a long time. Without getting too political, research in engineering and actual science seems a better investment than a lot of other things that we've spend money on lately.

Last edited:
Ground crew are gonna love trying to refuel that damn thing with the strut on the way. Better make that strut out of solid steel for all the vehicle strikes that are lining up to happen.

I don’t believe fuel will be in wing. Too narrow, too thin. What I read said the fuel would have to be in the fuselage.

Another problem is that the wing is so long it will have to have some serious wing folding to fit into a ramp.

I imagine the main advantage of the high wing is to allow for a larger bypass fan engine, to increase efficiency. I wouldn't be surprised if what comes of this has a much larger engine relative to the fuselage size than what we see in the drawing.

I suspect a bigger reason is so they can use struts in tension. Make it a low wing and the struts would be in compression, which would require a significantly larger strut. Allowing for bigger engines, after the 737MAX debacle, is a bonus.

I like it. The strut is so wide it could almost be considered a biplane.

Interesting that they're calling it "truss braced" instead of "strut based", probably to avoid people thinking of all those scary little strut braced Piper Cubs and Cessnas...

TaF1P1b.gif

Scott M and Greg’s Automobiles and Airplanes are my go to YouTube places.

Greg’s is heavy on technical details from an ATP’s POV - can’t get enough of it.

Scott M is mostly space, but he’s getting his PPL and doing more on aircraft now.

Note the new idea of control surfaces that don’t “fold” but curve? The Wrights first plane didn’t use ailerons - they used “wing warping”.

Last edited:
I always thought the Dornier J328 was an awkward looking jet...

Boeing just told it to hold their beer.

The struts are airfoils. Everything old is new again ...

It's a biplane!

If SWA buys it, it will still be stuck in the 80’s without EICAS. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If SWA buys it, it will still be stuck in the 80’s without EICAS. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
For SWA to buy it, first it would need to be a 737 variant that doesn’t require its own type rating. Stay tuned…

Back