Boeing's Truss-Braced-Wing Jet Concept Could Replace 737 Max By 2030

A1Topgun

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Ron
If it is good enough for Cessna, it is good enough for Boeing.

NASA and Boeing are working on the Sustainable Flight Demonstrator (SFD) project, which aims to produce a full-scale Transonic Truss-Braced Wing (TTBW) demonstrator airplane that consumes less fuel and lowers emissions by 30% versus today's most efficient single-aisle commercial aircraft.

NASA will commit $425 million of funding, while Boeing will invest $725 million in SFD and, by the end of the decade, have a full-scale demonstrator aircraft ready to test.
2023-01-25_19-23-13.png

Sounds like the plan is to have a demonstrator aircraft by 2030 - that's a very different thing from replacing the MAX by then.

Does "Transonic" imply Mach 1.0+ ?
Not in the way you’re probably thinking.

Transonic implies a subsonic overall Mach number (based on the aircraft’s airspeed) but on the suction side of the airfoil the flow accelerates and goes supersonic, typically at most Mach 1.2-1.4 before terminating with a shock and going subsonic again.

Basically subsonic with local patches of supersonic flow. From a pilot’s perspective, the Mach meter would always be < 1

Seems like Cessna should be involved at some level.

How many 737's can you buy for 1.1 billion?

Last edited:
It has folding wings too. I wonder how much lift the strut is producing ...

Add a new acronym to your list:

"For nearly a decade, Boeing and NASA have been studying the concept as part of the Subsonic Ultra Green Aircraft Research (SUGAR) program."

Someone confused million for billion…

A 737MAX is 121 million, so this program only costs 9 737Maxes or so.
yep, wrong big giant number.

9db30c69-ce72-4d94-8e6f-c4f7f66fe240_text.gif Breathtaking

Last edited:
Someone confused million for billion…

A 737MAX is 121 million, so this program only costs 9 737Maxes or so.
That’s what I was thinking, but the math was also off.

Thanks

You did not notice it is so efficient that it does not need fuel?

I imagine the main advantage of the high wing is to allow for a larger bypass fan engine, to increase efficiency. I wouldn't be surprised if what comes of this has a much larger engine relative to the fuselage size than what we see in the drawing.

Where are they going to put the fuel? Not much room in those wings.
I'm sure it will be electric :rolleyes:

I imagine the main advantage of the high wing is to allow for a larger bypass fan engine, to increase efficiency. I wouldn't be surprised if what comes of this has a much larger engine relative to the fuselage size than what we see in the drawing.
That was my first thought as well... tell me engines got too big for your last design without telling me engines got too big....

Well, not that it makes a huge difference, but the math isn’t 1.1 billion either.

You guys are all wrong. It’ll be powered by a pair of repurposed Audi engines with pusher props.

Solar panels! They ain't using SUGAR (Subsonic Ultra Green Aircraft Research) for nothing ... :D

It seems terribly wrong to force the taxpayers to help pay for what appears to be Boeing's research program.

Have you seen the subsidies Airbus has gotten for their new design lunch?

Back