Tie Down Fees - What's Yours?

I guess if I wanted to tie down I could use one of the four sets in my yard, but I stay in the hangar.

I used to pay $125/mo for a non-dedicated right to leave my plane on the ramp at Dulles. Right after I pulled out of there it went to $350. I paid something like $50 at VKX up until 9/11. I paid $65 at OKV until I got my hangar at CJR ($220).

This thread is a 7 year Necro, so don't feel too bad comparing yours against earlier prices.

That is why I said that. :D

I realized it was a necro thread, but I did not ask the question, just answered it.

In Juneau tie downs are $60/mo. I rent space in a hangar for $350/mo. Nice hangar but take $$ to heat in the winter..

I pay $125/ month for a newer T hangar with electric bi folding doors and obviously electricity. Yeah it's so bad I just push a button and my hangar door open. Hangar rent is cheaper than a 10x10 storage unit

$80 for a tie down in Schaumburg (Chicago)
$125 for a T hangar at Lone Rock (SW Wisconsin)
$50 for a tie down Celaya (Central Mexico)
$100 for a tie down Huatulco (Southern Mexico, Pacific Coast)

At CWI, Hangars start at $105/Month. Cement, bifold electric doors. We don't charge if anyone decides to tie down on the ramp.

Hi,

Where I am, the hangar space (note: NOT a complete hangar for myself) is depending on the size of your aircraft. My plane is on a lift (has disadvantages as well as advantages) costs a little less than USD 300 a month.

it's not cheap... but having your aircraft outside near the forest is not an option for me...

tobias

Where I am, the hangar space (note: NOT a complete hangar for myself) is depending on the size of your aircraft. My plane is on a lift (has disadvantages as well as advantages) costs a little less than USD 300 a month.
Shared hanger space here is by the square foot. (Max) Length x Width of the aircraft. Dedicated hanger space is priced per hanger depending on heated vs non-heated. Regardless, in this area the issue is not price it is simply availability. Typical waitlist is around 3 years.
The people who HAVE a hanger probably want lower prices.
The people WITHOUT a hanger probably want higher prices to shrink the waitlist.

The lift sounds interesting.
@Tobias Göller - Can you post a picture? I have never seen that in my area.

Hi There,

Shared hanger space here is by the square foot. (Max) Length x Width of the aircraft. Dedicated hanger space is priced per hanger depending on heated vs non-heated. Regardless, in this area the issue is not price it is simply availability. Typical waitlist is around 3 years.
The people who HAVE a hanger probably want lower prices.
The people WITHOUT a hanger probably want higher prices to shrink the waitlist.

The lift sounds interesting.
@Tobias Göller - Can you post a picture? I have never seen that in my area.

Availability (or lack of) dictates the price....

... and yes, I always wanted to scare the sh*t out of other plane owners... so here you go picture-wise...

There are some advantages and disadvantages to having it that way:
Disadvantages:
- It takes about 20min until you have the aircraft out of the hangar.
- If you forget something in the aircraft... "cacata maxima!".
- If the lift breaks... oh boy!

Advantages:
- Nobody can damage your aircraft when taking another aircraft out of the hangar
- No Problem with mice & rodents
- Fuel Theft is highly (!) unlikely (or... most probably highly entertaining to watch on the video...)
- Nobody can tamper with your aircraft
- Hangar Space is way (!) cheaper. On the ground, front row it's about USD 600 per Month. I pay a bit less than USD 300 per month.

2nd Row spaces on the hangar floor are about 500 per month - but you have to move at least two (if not three) other airplanes around before you can get to your aircraft (record is, I think, a friend of mine who has to move seven (!) aircrafts before he gets to his...) - and he still pays substantially more than I pay...

So... in my case... the trade-off is small.

Tobias

Attachments

• IMG_6923.jpeg
    IMG_6923.jpeg
    231.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1917.jpeg
    IMG_1917.jpeg
    201.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6875.jpeg
    IMG_6875.jpeg
    220.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6808.jpeg
    IMG_6808.jpeg
    219.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
There are some advantages and disadvantages to having it that way:
Disadvantages:
- It takes about 20min until you have the aircraft out of the hangar.
- If you forget something in the aircraft... ****.
- If the lift breaks... oh boy!
Wow. That is something. Thanks for the pictures!!!

Just interesting or "interestingly scary"?
ha ha ha
Interesting. The scary part would be the thought of other aircraft owners moving their own aircraft all around mine. A shared hanger that I use, only the FBO lineguys are allowed to move aircraft. Aircraft owners (including me) are not allowed to move aircraft in the shared hanger.

Hi Mongoose

ha ha ha
Interesting. The scary part would be the thought of other aircraft owners moving their own aircraft all around mine. A shared hanger that I use, only the FBO lineguys are allowed to move aircraft. Aircraft owners (including me) are not allowed to move aircraft in the shared hanger.

Well, that problem is more or less solved - the aircraft is high enough in the air not to interfere with anyone below it.

Our airfield is run by a club - so no ground handling staff around....

Tobias

The only time my airplane got "hangar rash" was on the ramp when an idiot struck the right aileron when he tried to squeeze his airplane through a spot instead of going around. My airplane was on the end of a row. He had hundreds of feet available to one side and not quite enough on the other...

edit: not implying that hangars are safe from rash. Just expressing the irony of getting hit while on the ramp instead of inside a hangar (for a while my airplane was in a large hangar with 10 or so planes belonging to the aeroclub)

Last edited:
Hi Bob,

The only time my airplane got "hangar rash" was on the ramp when an idiot struck the right aileron when he tried to squeeze his airplane through a spot instead of going around. My airplane was on the end of a row. He had hundreds of feet available to one side and not quite enough on the other...

We have quite often damaged aircrafts by people who statistically did have enough space but in practice ran one wing into a hangar door or similar... (hence the video surveillance...)

Tobias

Hi Bob,

We have quite often damaged aircrafts by people who statistically did have enough space but in practice ran one wing into a hangar door or similar... (hence the video surveillance...)

Tobias

I didn't mean to imply anything to the contrary.

Back