Apparently I had a beach for a while!

Llewtrah381

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Llewtrah
My Warrior went in for Annual with basically nothing on the squawk sheet (always worrisome for me). Sure enough, #2 was about 30PSI. The borescope showed a healthy valve despite the leak coming from the exhaust, so they lapped it and brought the pressure up.

But…

The scope also showed a TON of lead deposits. Dang. I’ve never seen this much!

E7D6B7D1-7D82-4504-8C31-DA800F5AFBDC.jpeg

I always lean very aggressively and even keep it leaned until close to when I land.

I now have my own borescope and will probably take a peek at each oil change.

That's pretty impressive

You mean all those clear crystals are lead? Looks like sand to me.

My Warrior went in for Annual with basically nothing on the squawk sheet (always worrisome for me). Sure enough, #2 was about 30PSI. The borescope showed a healthy valve despite the leak coming from the exhaust, so they lapped it and brought the pressure up.

But…

The scope also showed a TON of lead deposits. Dang. I’ve never seen this much!

View attachment 114228

I always lean very aggressively and even keep it leaned until close to when I land.

I now have my own borescope and will probably take a peek at each oil change.
I took all 4 cylinders off a 0-320 and cleaned up the pistons and rings. Then put it back together with very good results. It only cost me my time and O rings, valve cover gaskets. It seems it could be done on small 4 cylinders engines without too much expense?
No?

I took all 4 cylinders off a 0-320 and cleaned up the pistons and rings. Then put it back together with very good results. It only cost me my time and O rings, valve cover gaskets. It seems it could be done on small 4 cylinders engines without too much expense?
No?
Valves can be lapped without removing the cylinder, did it on my O-290 recently. But to the OP, what did you do about the lead deposits?

I am so looking forward to using G100UL...

I lean aggressively, but the fuel induction system on O-470's is so primitive, you know you're not effectively burning everything.

But to the OP, what did you do about the lead deposits?
(I’m pretty sure) they blew them out. In any case, I have the plane home now and will probably scope the cylinders to confirm.

Not sure what caused that. I had an ElectroAir installed about 20 hours ago and wonder if the spark advance makes running rich make lead deposits rather than carbon. Just an uneducated guess.

Back