Sun N Fun Camping

AndyRoo

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
AndyRoo
Looking for advice from anyone that’s camped sun n fun before. First time camping this year. I’ve looked on the website, emailed and called… no response!

Maybe someone here can help!

My father in law is flying in and we are camping Thursday to Saturday. I’m driving from nearby. Does anyone know if I’ll be able to park my car near his plan? I’ll be bringing tents and supplies for 4 people.
Thanks everyone!

Looking for advice from anyone that’s camped sun n fun before. First time camping this year. I’ve looked on the website, emailed and called… no response!

Maybe someone here can help!

My father in law is flying in and we are camping Thursday to Saturday. I’m driving from nearby. Does anyone know if I’ll be able to park my car near his plan? I’ll be bringing tents and supplies for 4 people.
Thanks everyone!

SNF does not account for people who camp in the aircraft camping area and also have a vehicle. I've complained directly to them multiple times on the issue. Your best bet is to have your airplane owning friend park in GAP (General Aviation Parking) and the entire party camp and park the vehicle in the campground. You'd think you could buy an overnight parking pass, but unless you have campground credentials, there is no overnight parking anywhere on the site.

Kyle summed it up nicely.

I'll have volunteer parking credentials which puts me close to the camping areas--significantly closer than general parking. I'd be willing to meet up and transport your gear into the grounds. The only caveat is I don't know my schedule yet so can't guarantee 100% at this point that I'll be out there on Thursday or if I am, during what time.

Wife and I always wanted to camp there. But we have a toddler and a newborn. So it will be awhile before I go.

Thank y'all for your info! I guess we will try an get 2 general camping spots near each other and have my FIL park his plane and come stay with us. And, @tsts4, thank you for your offer! I may message you at a later date if that seems like something we need to do.

@farangutan, I feel you. We will have our own little one for SNF 2024, have to enjoy this last year before life changes!

One more thing for anyone who has camped there before. How does it work if you show up mid week? Seems you get camping on site and cannot reserve? Do you just show up and they tell you where to go pitch your tent?

I haven't camped there but this is off the website: "Overnight or Daily camping sites are available only at camper registration, outside the main campground." Tent Camping - SUN 'n FUN Aerospace Expo (flysnf.org) Only weekly rates are available online. Even then, just like at Osh (where I have car and airplane camped), you're only reserving campground access, not an actual campsite. Pretty sure the sites are all first come, first serve. When you go to registration, they might be able to direct you to areas that are vacant, or you may just have to drive around and claim an empty spot.

I've camped there lots of times, arriving mid week. You just have to drive around the campground and find an empty spot. Except for the volunteer area there are no designated sites and really no much of any organization. Seems almost like the old west, stake your claim.

Most of the good spots closer to the show area gate will be taken, but there may be some small openings around. Depends on how big of a space you're looking for. Might be around a lot of camper trailers and motorhomes.

The last several years I've driven in my class C motorhome and pretty much just turn into the over run camping area to the West. Basically an active cow pasture complete with patties. It's generally fairly crowded but so far there's always more space..... I always bring a bike, it's a long way to the gate form teh overflow area...they have trams but I like to have my own transport.

You're in tents so stay as far away from 24 hour generator areas. My first time camping there I found a great little spot that backed to the woods but it was right along a road and across the road was a 24 hour genny spot. I do not understand why so many folks feel the need to run their generators all night, even when it's not really hot enough to absolutely require AC. especially the construction generators.... ugh! There are even some that will run them all day right up to the cut-off time in the non 24-hr areas.... why...just why? I might fire mine up to run the microwave for lunch.... or maybe for a break mid day if it's hot, but not all day and all night!

My general advice is to plan on keeping the camp site relatively simple and small, to have more flexibility...and you'll find a place.

I'm not sure yet if I'll make it this year or not..hope so.

I've camped there lots of times, arriving mid week. You just have to drive around the campground and find an empty spot. Except for the volunteer area there are no designated sites and really no much of any organization. Seems almost like the old west, stake your claim.

Most of the good spots closer to the show area gate will be taken, but there may be some small openings around. Depends on how big of a space you're looking for. Might be around a lot of camper trailers and motorhomes.

The last several years I've driven in my class C motorhome and pretty much just turn into the over run camping area to the West. Basically an active cow pasture complete with patties. It's generally fairly crowded but so far there's always more space..... I always bring a bike, it's a long way to the gate form teh overflow area...they have trams but I like to have my own transport.

You're in tents so stay as far away from 24 hour generator areas. My first time camping there I found a great little spot that backed to the woods but it was right along a road and across the road was a 24 hour genny spot. I do not understand why so many folks feel the need to run their generators all night, even when it's not really hot enough to absolutely require AC. especially the construction generators.... ugh! There are even some that will run them all day right up to the cut-off time in the non 24-hr areas.... why...just why? I might fire mine up to run the microwave for lunch.... or maybe for a break mid day if it's hot, but not all day and all night!

My general advice is to plan on keeping the camp site relatively simple and small, to have more flexibility...and you'll find a place.

I'm not sure yet if I'll make it this year or not..hope so.

Thank you! This is exactly what I needed and couldn’t find. Thanks to everyone for all the info!

Back