Midwest POA Janebruary Lunch February 3, 2024 1200 EST Rick's Boatyard KEYE

Well, no changes in the new taf, and all the other forecasts got worse to match :(

Let's reschedule for next weekend.

Now I gotta figure out somewhere else to fly today.
:yeahthat:

Forecast is not impossible, but pretty lousy. I like the idea of trying again next weekend in hopes @iamtheari can join us, and @masloki and @NealRomeoGolf finally have their planes back (although I'm not holding my breath).

Thoughts? Prayers?

:yeahthat:

Forecast is not impossible, but pretty lousy. I like the idea of trying again next weekend in hopes @iamtheari can join us, and @masloki and @NealRomeoGolf finally have their planes back (although I'm not holding my breath).

Thoughts? Prayers?
I'm out for next week. Got a LifeLine Pilots board meeting. And I don't expect to have a plane by then either.

I think I will get it back just in time to put it in annual. Yeehaw.

As I’ve just embarked on my 32 hour justification that I need an airplane [read: driving to Colorado], I’m out this week and next. But if it helps, I can PIREP some…

image.jpg

/OV RFD095022 /TM 1450 /FL000/TP AUDI/SK est BASES 005/TA M03

As I’ve just embarked on my 32 hour justification that I need an airplane [read: driving to Colorado], I’m out this week and next. But if it helps, I can PIREP some…

/OV RFD095022 /TM 1450 /FL000/TP AUDI/SK est BASES 005/TA M03
/RMK THIS SUCKS DRIVING IS FOR THE BIRDS

When I passed by KRPJ, it was OVC002 and less than a mile vis. There were spots west where vis was probably 1/2 mile. It took until Omaha to start seeing the tops of wind turbines.

If you're up there, may as well head up to Sidnaw as it's at the intersection of 2 trails. And you can get there from Eagle River on sled.

I've wanted to buy a cabin in Eagle River for years but I've never pulled the trigger.

Some of my wife's family have a couple of cabins in Three Lakes, just south of there. They let us store our snowmobiles in the shed so I don't have to deal with trailering anything. The downside is I can only ride to places in range of that location but it's a rare year when there isn't snow up there.

The snowmobiling thing blows my mind. I know several people who probably spend my annual flying budget on going up there and blasting through the woods. One of them came back a couple years ago with a big black dead spot on his cheek where his heated mask didn't quite meet his goggles. I knew then it wasn't for me. I'd much rather have sun burn than frostbite.

The snowmobiling thing blows my mind. I know several people who probably spend my annual flying budget on going up there and blasting through the woods. One of them came back a couple years ago with a big black dead spot on his cheek where his heated mask didn't quite meet his goggles. I knew then it wasn't for me. I'd much rather have sun burn than frostbite.

Yikes, I ride with a full face helmet and I don’t have those problems, just occasional fogged up visors.

I am always marveling at the big 4-place trailers behind a new super-duty hauling brand new sleds. Yeah they have more wrapped up in those setups than we spend on planes. I just have a couple of used ones I keep in good repair- I’ll probably spend more on restaurants than anything next weekend :D

Yikes, I ride with a full face helmet and I don’t have those problems, just occasional fogged up visors.

I am always marveling at the big 4-place trailers behind a new super-duty hauling brand new sleds. Yeah they have more wrapped up in those setups than we spend on planes. I just have a couple of used ones I keep in good repair- I’ll probably spend more on restaurants than anything next weekend :D
Most of the guys I know....the bar tab is the biggest expense....

I'm with you on the helmet situation. When your biggest danger is a high speed branch to the face or faceplanting into a tree, I can't imagine NOT wearing a full face helmet.

The frostbite thing happened to a friends father (who once offered me 50k to marry his daughter). Ended up getting basal cell carcinoma on his face where the frostbite was. Got that taken care of this summer.

The frostbite thing happened to a friends father (who once offered me 50k to marry his daughter). Ended up getting basal cell carcinoma on his face where the frostbite was. Got that taken care of this summer.
How ugly was she??

I’m out this weekend. Our ramps are at least an inch of glare ice.

I’ll be wishing I was flying somewhere as I just edit aviation content instead. That has to count for something, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How are things looking for those who don't have ice on the ramp? I'm still trying to get airborne and eastbound on Sunday.

How are things looking for those who don't have ice on the ramp? I'm still trying to get airborne and eastbound on Sunday.
I'm having a hard time getting a handle on the track & timing. I'm pretty certain I could get up there, but looks like it might be cutting it close to get back out again.

@Jim K were there any “Will try’s” for today? Latest forecast discussion for MKE has snow starting early Saturday afternoon and continuing until Sunday AM with lake effect. ORD starts 10:30 to noon. Peak WI snowfall expected on a line from MSN to MKE, 2-10 inches. Sunday evening goes dry and clear. @iamtheari You’ll be at the mercy of snow totals and Sunday plow drivers. Given the very low temperatures, removal will be easier.

Currently snowing in Peoria. I'll be at the airport but my hangar is still empty. Thanks Piper.

Currently snowing in Peoria. I'll be at the airport but my hangar is still empty. Thanks Piper.
My plane situation this month reminds me of a line from Futurama: “The ship’s fixed except for the cup holder, and I should have that operational within 10 hours.”
Sunday evening goes dry and clear. @iamtheari You’ll be at the mercy of snow totals and Sunday plow drivers. Given the very low temperatures, removal will be easier.
Thanks for the update. We have a commercial flight booked as Plan B. Here, it got above freezing on Thursday, rained for the evening, and then started plummeting toward -20 or so by Monday. I was out of town and came back to a collection of ice sculptures courtesy of snow, wind, rain, and bad timing.

My plane situation this month reminds me of a line from Futurama: “The ship’s fixed except for the cup holder, and I should have that operational within 10 hours.”
I wish mine were just a cupholder. Unfortunately it deals with keeping the lower cowl on. Piper redesigned the part (which interacts with 2+ other parts) and the new design is smaller than the original. So when they tried to install the part, it no worky. Might have to fab something. It never ends...

Back