FAA on Instagram

mandm

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Michael
Did anyone see the FAA make a post about ADHD on Instagram? That sure got a lot of comments.

Well shucks. I guess you have to have an account to see much on that site. The FAA choosing that as a platform to disseminate information seems an odd way for a government agency to conduct business.

Well shucks. I guess you have to have an account to see much on that site. The FAA choosing that as a platform to disseminate information seems an odd way for a government agency to conduct business.

Here’s a snap, so far 259 comments. I won’t snap those as that would take forever ha

300A6C42-A414-43EE-B528-5C3A285D8A84.jpeg

The federal government has been present on social media for more than a decade. FWIW, I don't think that Instagram post shared anything new.

Just saying to read the comments. A lot of discontent with the FAA from my observation.

The federal government has been present on social media for more than a decade. FWIW, I don't think that Instagram post shared anything new.
Yeah, I know. They are on facesnaptwitagram.

If I want info from the FAA, I go to faa.gov. All of their important info is easily discovered there. I wonder how much they pay their social media pushers and if they know much about aviation.

Unfortunately, about 30% of the "history of stimulants" folks got stimulants becuase of an undisclosed histoyr of depression and/or anxiety disorders. When that is active, cognition cannot possbly be right. This is geting in the very NOT GOOD territory. Commonly the attitude is "but I am fine now" (airman beats on chest) when the reality of the situaiton is that with the slightest stressors, the anxieety will return, just putting the kabosh on noraml cognition and multitasking. So each case is "indivisual consideration" and "highly expert" evaluation(s).

Consider for example the response of the A380 crew wthen the #2 engine autodestructed over the Indian Ocean. The flying Captain and FO were totally occupied with the 390 ACARS messages.

Othe old senior Check airman in teh jumpseat merely asked:
(1) What is our airspeed
(2) What is our fuel state and loss rate?
(3) How many miles to the nearest servicable airport, and what is our rate of descent?

So the question becomes then, "How much anxiety would a normal have?.
Clearly the senior airman had it right. The crew, not so much.

And they still haven't figured out how to use it. Cause this ain't it. This is right up there with the ATF's valentine's day tweet inviting psychos to rat out their exes to the feds.

Whether or not you're taking anything for any mental health issue, you're still going to have to go through HIMS, jump through all those hoops, pay between $5K-$10K, and then wait 6+ months for them to get back to you. This is the biggest issue facing the IRS...I mean the FAA...

It’s really intimidating to know that if you want to become part of the group of people that fly you have to be an almost perfect specimen in every way. There are some people that should not fly and that is a fact, however with all the hoops one must jump through, and all the money that is spent on testing and evaluations 98% of all applications are ultimately approved and medical issues account for almost no GA accidents. Just think of all the time,money, and stress that could be avoided if the AME (who is a doctor). Could make the call in the office. It’s like it has become some kind of tradition that getting your medical is a gauntlet that we all must run. What a process.

It’s really intimidating to know that if you want to become part of the group of people that fly you have to be an almost perfect specimen in every way. There are some people that should not fly and that is a fact, however with all the hoops one must jump through, and all the money that is spent on testing and evaluations 98% of all applications are ultimately approved and medical issues account for almost no GA accidents. Just think of all the time,money, and stress that could be avoided if the AME (who is a doctor). Could make the call in the office. It’s like it has become some kind of tradition that getting your medical is a gauntlet that we all must run. What a process.

FAA employees call that - "Job security"

Whether or not you're taking anything for any mental health issue, you're still going to have to go through HIMS, jump through all those hoops, pay between $5K-$10K, and then wait 6+ months for them to get back to you. This is the biggest issue facing the IRS...I mean the FAA...

I jumped through the non-HIMS P&P hoops. Got my SI and Third Class. I have a history of a mental health condition and don't see why the FAA was wrong to be concerned. Personally, I don't want someone with an uncontrolled version of what I have flying around.

I jumped through the non-HIMS P&P hoops. Got my SI and Third Class. I have a history of a mental health condition and don't see why the FAA was wrong to be concerned. Personally, I don't want someone with an uncontrolled version of what I have flying around.

The FAA should be filtering through medical applications, especially the complex ones. But the process is broken. It’s too expensive, it takes too long, and the worst part is, it’s hidden behind an iron curtain. It’s impossible to get any update or to see where you’re at in the queue. I mean this is 2022 after all and they’re still relying on fax to transmit your records! Ridiculous.

I fully agree that mental health issues should be investigated. However I do not think the guy who got a DUI when he was 18 and is now 45 needs to spend 5K and a year proving he is not an alcoholic. Maybe he should have to prove it but there has got to be a quicker and cheaper way. I just think the AME should have more power in the decision making process. When my stuff was mailed in it was over 1300 pages. (Head injury)

Last edited:

I’m more concerned about who the government lets drive cars around these days…

Excellent point. Anyone can go out and buy a 30000lb motor home with nothing more than a regular license.

They disabled the comments the way to deal with doctors who overprescribe Adderall toss a few in prison for 20-30 years like the DEA did with opioids solved 90% of the opioid problem. Now can't even get more then a few pills after surgery.

I saw the FAA's post about ADHD on Instagram, and it definitely generated a lot of conversation.

"Tap the link in our bio to learn more." I wonder if you tapped the link, went back a page, tapped the link again, went back a page, tapped the link, went back a page, tapped the link, went back a page, tapped the link, then visited a site on the best chicken recipes, would get you a letter from the FAA?

Consider for example the response of the A380 crew wthen the #2 engine autodestructed over the Indian Ocean. The flying Captain and FO were totally occupied with the 390 ACARS messages.

(1) What is our airspeed
(3) How many miles to the nearest servicable airport, and what is our rate of descent?

Pretty big reach to say, IT WAS THE ADHD, when the "normal" was a "old senior check airman" (with more experience) that had the luxury of not having any tasks whatsoever. I've had the luxury of dealing with situations as the pilot that is handling a bunch of tasks, and I've had the luxury of dealing with situations as the observer who is handling nothing and just observing/thinking. Given the observer naturally has less to think about, they're going to perform better when it comes to observing & analyzing.

Pretty big reach to say, IT WAS THE ADHD, when the "normal" was a "old senior check airman" (with more experience) that had the luxury of not having any tasks whatsoever. I've had the luxury of dealing with situations as the pilot that is handling a bunch of tasks, and I've had the luxury of dealing with situations as the observer who is handling nothing and just observing/thinking. Given the observer naturally has less to think about, they're going to perform better when it comes to observing & analyzing.

I don't know.... The old "aviate-navigate-communicate" is pretty basic. The fact that the check-airman felt the need to voice his concern seems to say that things weren't as they should be given the situation.

That being said, we're all on some sort of continuum. Who's to say when someone isn't gonna choose to use it against us.

Unfortunately, about 30% of the "history of stimulants" folks got stimulants becuase of an undisclosed histoyr of depression and/or anxiety disorders. When that is active, cognition cannot possbly be right. This is geting in the very NOT GOOD territory. Commonly the attitude is "but I am fine now" (airman beats on chest) when the reality of the situaiton is that with the slightest stressors, the anxieety will return, just putting the kabosh on noraml cognition and multitasking. So each case is "indivisual consideration" and "highly expert" evaluation(s).

(1) What is our airspeed

Lol, tell me you’ve never worked a multi crew emergency as PIC without telling me you never worked a multi crew emergency as PIC

Maybe just stick to turn your head & cough

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back