where to go for accelerated ifr?

lsu_wildcatter

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
lsu_wildcats
I have all the hours and written for the practical test, dropped working towards it a year ago due to work and no DPE available, and never had time to pick it up again.

Wondering where I could go that also has good DPE availability, and preferably somewhere in the SW US, but am open to anywhere in the states.

contact these folks. No idea how they deal with DPE issues these days, that wasn't a thing many moons ago when I did mine.

Venture North in Cloquet, MN.

owner is a DPE and will schedule your training to coincide with an opening in his examination schedule, reducing the wait to check ride to minimum.

See my prior posts on Golden Eagle/Arizona Aero Tech at KRYN field in AZ. Given the time off I would plan on 10-14 days and check your written, I had my IR one time out! Ask for Tim Pres. or Scott chief pilot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PIC will come to you. I used them about 10 years ago to get my IR. https://www.iflyifr.com/
Yep. I did my instrument with them in 2005. They were going to send this Ron Levy guy out to me but he was busy, so I got an even better instructor out of Tennessee.
I did the ten day course in eight (got two days off for good behavior). They arranged all the logistics including the DPE scheduling.

@flyingron he hasn't been around these parts in a while, right?

I took a break from here and the AOPA boards and when I came back a lot of folks were gone.

PIC = you need your own plane, generally.

@lsu_wildcatter what do you plan to do with the rating? Heading to the airlines or personal travel?

@flyingron he hasn't been around these parts in a while, right?

I took a break from here and the AOPA boards and when I came back a lot of folks were gone.

PIC = you need your own plane, generally.

@lsu_wildcatter what do you plan to do with the rating? Heading to the airlines or personal travel?
I think you mean, Cap’n Ron, aka Ron Levy.

Yes, he departed PoA a few years ago. At that time, he was active with Professional Instrument Courses (PIC).

@flyingron remains a regular participant.

If you dropped it a year ago, and had your written done at that time, how much time do you have left on the written?

@AggieMike88 i was initial asking FlyingRon because he referenced Ron Levy.

Near me it seems difficult to get a rental place to allow outside instructors but maybe if you're buying a 20-hr block and it's PIC it's different.

If you dropped it a year ago, and had your written done at that time, how much time do you have left on the written?
I have a year left on it.

No DPE available locally.

Personal, not interested in commercial stuff. Have ~2k hours or so total, a few hundred a year typically. Half the time I come back I forget to write down hours, I just fly for fun.

Just looking for a dedicated instructor, plane and a DPE that is available somewhere warm and not freezing like the midwest.

It’s southeast rather than southwest but I was very happy with CRAFT at Charleston SC.

https://flycraftchs.com/

They work with a local DPE and schedule backwaEd’s from Checkride. Also have a decent sized fleet so aircraft availablity is not a problem.

I did accelerated for both PPL and IFR.

I traveled for PPL and IFR I used PIC that came to me and while the instructor and program were awesome I personally would not do that over again for IFR.

If you have the time/resources to go to them get away from home the environment IMO. To pass accelerated in 10 days it really takes 100% focus and laser dedication without any other distraction and having done both that was insanely challenging to do being at home.

Make sure you have a CFI that has a defined plan and experience with accelerated. CFI knowing how to teach to that format is just as critical.

I didn't have any problem managing distractions at home with PIC. They do kind of delude you in the sales literature that you might be able to do something else after flying each day and that is really optimistic. Some days you'll have homework to do and others you'll be pretty throughly wrung out. I was able to talk through a few things with my wife who was laying lamintate floor in the other room while we were doing the sim work on days 3,4,5 (If I recall this right).

Yep. I did my instrument with them in 2005. They were going to send this Ron Levy guy out to me but he was busy, so I got an even better instructor out of Tennessee.
I did the ten day course in eight (got two days off for good behavior). They arranged all the logistics including the DPE scheduling.
Do you know about how much it runs without the cost of the rental plane? There's really no cost information on the site

It's been a while so the prices have probably gone up and my memory is hazy, but I think he instructor ran $500/day (I got one day of that refunded because I didn't use it and he wasn't waiting around), plus you pay his travel expenses and put him up somewhere for the week. For me, I put him up for three days at a Hampton near my house when we did the book work (days 2-4) and when we were flying, we operated off a table in my hangar for ground work. I was fortunate that his daughter lived near the airport I was based at so I didn't have to pay him board (I did chuck him "gas" money). I bought him a few lunches while we were out.

Over that, you'll need to get some local charts (talk to the instructor, I bought what PIC national told me and the instructor said that was too much) and your examiner fee.
They throw in a workbook and Peter Dogan's excellent text book (alas, I already had a copy, but I have subsequently gave them both away to others). You'll want to get your written out of the way before booking them.

PIC will come to you. I used them about 10 years ago to get my IR. https://www.iflyifr.com/
Unfortunately, I just used them and I can't recommend them unless you want to be frustrated, waste your time and money. The instructor they sent me was Ron Levy. I have to say that he was the worse CFI I've ever had that loves to hear himself talk and not listen. Ron is an old timer who likes to chatter about history and not focus on what is needed to pass the checkride. My recommendation is to stay away from iflyifr.

Back